Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Floribunda/Shrub roses 2017

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

2017 wasn’t the greatest season for me, but there were some Floribunda/Shrub type roses that looked very promising in 2017.

Two of my favorite floribundas, two Sunsprite bushes and one Belinda’s Dream were terrible in 2017, I have already ordered replacements. I do think the problem with them is weather related, because up to that point they did great through four seasons. I am wondering if rose bushes just wear out sometimes? We have such extreme weather conditions here, that makes sense to me that it could be a possibility!

CRAZY LOVE - This Kordes rose got shipped to me by mistake, and it did very good in its first season. The bush is very vigorous and repeats quickly. Not a bad rose to get by mistake!

ORCHID ROMANCE - This one does very good for me, fourth season, totally blackspot free, wonderful fragrance.

My third season for POSEIDON. In the first year it got a difficult start and really only bloomed late that year. In 2016 it really took off and in 2017 did great! I think it would have done even better if we hadn’t had so much rain during the bloom season.

EASY DOES IT - I think this rose is such a pretty color, it repeats good and I hope it continues to improve, love it so far. Second season.

The first season for PLUM PERFECT, another Kordes was fantastic, this one appears to be a real winner!

JULIA CHILD started doing good late in the season. I really hope this one will one day be a more consistently good rose for me, I really do like it.

OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE - Fourth season for this one, did fantastic in 2016, but not that great in 2017, but put on some new growth and bloomed more later on, pulling for it do do much better in ‘18.

ZAIDE - This one got a slow start but got quite a bit bigger by the end if the season, charming blooms.

SUMMER ROMANCE - This one was a disappointment! The bush is healthy, but it barely bloomed and most of the few blooms it did have turned brown and shriveled up. I hope this year it does better.

Comments (22)

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Certainly hope there’s input from others about some of your roses, would love to hear from you. Can be any type.

• User
    6 years ago

Here are a few of mine Sara Ann. I hope you like. I keep my plants trimmed,

so no huge monsters here...

'Armada'

'Ballerina' in a pot

'Cambridgeshire'

'Escapade'

'Felicia'

'Forever Royal'

'Armada'

'Octavia Hill'

I have 2...

'Sweet Child Of Mine'

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked User
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    6 years ago

Crazy love is on my wishlist

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • Ken Wilkinson
    6 years ago

2017 wasn't the best years for my garden. Some of my Floribunda's and shrubs had a good spring then it was hit and miss the rest of the growing season. Here are a few spring photo's.

Munstead wood looked great in the spring.

Distant Drums was one of the few roses that looked good all season.
    Charisma looked good during the spring.
    Pink Knock Out looked good all season.
    Blushing Pink Knock Out looked great until the fall. Then it stopped blooming. Just sat there with very little growth .
    Molineux bloomed great in the spring. Just sat there all summer and bloomed great again in the fall.
    Lady of Shalott did great all season.
    Hot Cocoa did very well all season. This is one tough rose.
    LD Braithwaite was another great rose for me this past year.
    Hannah Gordon had a great spring and summer, then nothing in the fall. Figure that one out.

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

Ken

Fabulous rose bushes ! How do you foliage all the way to the ground?

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You all have some gorgeous roses and they look healthy! Some of my favorites are ARMADA, FELICIA, BOLERO, OCTAVIA HILL, THE LADY GARDENER, TEASING GEORGIA, DISTANT DRUMS, LADY OF SHALOTT and L.D. BRAITHWAITE.

Would love to see more!

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

You guys are killing me with these pics! The one rose that stood out for me this season more than all others was the new Kordes BLISS rose. Its the healthiest thing ever. That, Larissa and Plum Perfect have all been outstanding. I also really loved Tupelo Honey, but for some reason my died suddenly. Earth Angel is another outstanding rose. These are all grown in NO SPRAY conditions in South Florida, which is nearly unheard of and although some of them struggled in the early fall, they are all bouncing back. Two other winners for me were Bordeaux and Roxanne Veranda. Roxy Vigorosa was also a good one.

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

I really loved my violets pride and fire opal and of course soul sister ( but I'm sure you've seen that one from me 1000 times!! )

And plum perfect above

Fire opal

ok one soul sister

Sara Ann - I get so excited when I see your Poseidon ! Can't wait to have one of my own.

Sofl, can u share photos of Larissa ? I was interested in this one

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you SoFL and Lily! Your Violet’s Pride excites me Lily, it’s gorgeous! I’m really trying to not get too carried away this year, but I am seriously considering that one and a couple of others. Soul Sister is gorgeous too, I’ve been admiring Earth Angel too, SoFL.

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

I don’t have a pic of Larissa in bloom and currently she’s putting out buds. when she blooms I’ll post her. :)

i like your soul sister. I’m thinking of getting one. She’s supposed to be very healthy and that’s what I need here in sofl. I’ve had great luck with plum perfect too. It’s an extraordinary rose. Such health and vigor on a rose with such unique coloring. She’s a favorite of mine. :)

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

SoFL rose

Is your kordes Bliss ownroot or on Fortuniana?

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Holey Moley - such GORGEOUS pictures - I especially love Hannah Gordon!! Ken - what a fabulous shot!

Sara Ann - that is my exact same word about Zaide - charm!! The bush shape has charm and so do the flowers. I really like this rose. I'm going to keep it even though there's no fragrance. I love the look of your Crazy Love, Plum Perfect, Julia Child and Zaide! I would love to get Orchid Romance!! Your bloom looks so big and full!!

Dave - your Teasing Georgia is amazing!!

Carol

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked rosecanadian
  • SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

Mine is own root bit I could get it on fortuniana I’d be thrilled. Mentioned it to James at K&M and told him that if he had the opportunity to graft them, to let me know.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Sarah Ann, I love your Crazy Love, those are my favorite colors. I also love the colors of Easy Does It. Plum Perfect is such perfection.

You guys, so many incredible roses.

New to me this year Munstead wood

Savannah
    Rock and Roll, one bloom only. It was a beauty but I sure hope it does better next year
    Easy Does It
    I am looking forward to spring to see the previously planted thrive and the new arrivals planted .

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Kristine - I love your Savannah!!! I was thinking of getting it...but since everyone says it's such a great rose for heat...I'm not sure if it would like our more moderate summer.

Carol

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kristine, beautiful roses. Really like your Munstead Wood and Savannah. My Savannah is own root, new in 2017 and looks promising, love the fragrance. I need to try Rock ‘n Roll, not too fond of the stripes, but that one and Neil Diamond kind of appeal to me.

• kali_deere
    6 years ago

Everyone’s roses look so beautiful!! I hope mine look like all yours someday. 2017 was my first year of seriously gardening so all my plants are babies. I had 1 rose in 2016 but didn’t really know what I was doing and didn’t really care at the time.

but here’s what some of my first year babies looked like (currently they’re under a blanket of snow lol):

JFK roses year 1 (I have 5 of them because I learned the fragrance was amazing, they don’t have a scent yet but I expect they will once they get older)

Double delight year 1 (allegedly - got it from tractor supply so not entirely sure)

Lavender crush year 1 (the most beautiful intoxicating fragrance - planted it in July and within two months it has sprouted a brand new nasal cane which grew to over 5 feet tall!!)

Sweet drift tree (my first rose back from 2016), the poor thing had a rough year, half the graft died but it got some decent new growth that I was able to gently “comb over” to cover the giant bald spot

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked kali_deere
    6 years ago

I am hoping that Rock and Roll takes off this year. Almost all of my roses are first year so expecting improvement this year. And I love strippies and so I really want American Magic.

Carol, I have no clue about Savannah in cooler weather. She is for me a great healthy rose. In the heat she did have flat, pancake blooms but I forgive her because she tries so hard. I planted Beverly and Savannah in the same bed and Beverly really took her time but also very pretty. But , maybe because I have a grandaughter named Savannah, I am partial

Beverly

Winchester Cathedral
    OUT of Rosenheim
    not the best picture but this rose has those beautiful shiny green leaves. It took off like gangbusters . It started out a really light watermellon color and by the end of summer had gotten it's deep red color.

6 years ago

Kali, beautiful roses . I love your Sweet Drift. I'm glad it made it. It is such a pretty color.

out of rosenheim
    Florentina

flamengo rosita

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Beautiful blooms everybody! Boy I'm glad I just got CRAZY LOVE!!

Sara-Ann Z6B OK thanked bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Beth, I am torn between Crazy Love and All American Magic. I don't have room for either but that had never stopped me before

Do you also have AAM ?