Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_gorney_townsend

Help with weird living area

Lindsey Gorney_Townsend
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, I am working on a 1970 lake house with a very strange living area. There is a wood burning fireplace, a ladder going to a loft and built-in bookshelves which basically take up two entire walls. I don't want to overstuff the area with furniture, so I'm trying to figure out maximum bang for the buck for seating. Should I do a couch along the wall with the front door and then one big overstuffed chair, or maybe two small chairs with an ottoman? Thanks for ideas.

Comments (23)

• Lindsey Gorney_Townsend
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also I am pondering what to do with that darn ladder right in the middle of the wall. Budget won't allow for tearing out and redoing the whole thing including the railing; wondering if there is something else that I can use in place of the existing ladder?

• PRO
    REAL Construction Group
    6 years ago
    Hi,

love the creative space. my opinion only:

Change the wall paint color as it is a small space, white with light grey as accents.

2 change the carpet to something that create a psychological change of the space being wide and bigger.

Bring a Glass Table with Finishings to match other existing items, glass will help bring the space together yet keeping it open.

change the colors of the stair case and railing. Grey or Some accent

lighting upgrade will have a better impact on the over all soace, warm white 2700 and up.

A few paintings on the wall will help create the illusion of Openings as it may seem as scenery

Plants- Green items bring a feel of freshness within small spaces.

hope it helps. ;)
    Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked REAL Construction Group
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

My first thing would be to remove the bookcases they close in the space and are really way too much for such a small room.A sofa and 2 smaller scaled chairs would be much better than the sectional, are you wanting a T.V in the space? I can’t see a solution to the ladder since the along the wall stairs can’t really go anywhere with the 2 doorways. Is that space used as a bedroom or just extra seating space ? A spiral staidcase would be against code if it is a bedroom and honestly you would not save much space.I do not think this space needs any kitchy cottage decor . There are some really cool pellet stoves that are super efficient , maybe look at them down the road

Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sally W
    6 years ago
    Do you need the built in cabinetry along that wall? That seems to be an angled wall, so they look as if they are quite deep at the bottom, less so above. Would it open the space to remove the shelving? Or remove it all and do something like a console table, that would permit flexible seating underneath?
    Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked Sally W
  • PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    6 years ago
    I agree one couch on the wall, and two smaller chairs by the window. An ottoman with a tray on it can work well for a place to put your feet up or put a drink on. I think leather chairs would work well. Pottery Barn has some swivel leather chairs you may like. I would have an upholstered couch to soften the look. Good luck it looks like a cozy fun space.
    Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked Susan Tiritilli
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Definitely remove the built-in. Unless there's some pressing need for them that you haven't disclosed, they should go.

You said you're "working on" this space - I assume that means it's not yours? What is the owner hoping to achieve? (If you're the owner, the same question applies.) What is their style? What do they want to use this space for?

We can give you all kinds of suggestions, but these questions need to be answered first. I can tell you how I would decorate this space, but if the owner isn't a minimalist, they're not going to be thrilled with my ideas. (Hardcore minimalist here.)

For the sake of working with an already visually busy space, I recommend stepping back to the basics. Bright colors (white is my first choice) and paint the trim if you aren't going for a rustic feel. Remove the built-in AND the shelf over the front door. Decide on a feel.

Do you realize you have a modern sofa, a traditional chair, and a southwestern rug? Choose a feel (I don't say style because that can be restricting) and move in that direction. If the budget is small, focus on paint and basic pieces, like a good sofa and chair that is visually light.

This is hard to explain, so here are some inspiration photos. Look at them for color and furniture choice ONLY. But go back to asking the most basic questions: "How do I want this room to feel? What functions am I performing in this room?" Those will drive all your choices.

(Just a fluke that they all have white walls, but a soft white like Behr Snow Fall will make the space feel bright and open, which you want with angled walls.)

Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for responding! The furniture will be gone as we are buying the property and it belongs to the current owner. By "working on" I mean that I plan to update the property as time and money permit over the next year. My thought Is to use creams, grays and whites throughout the house. The loft will serve as a man cave for my 20 year old son who will occasionally drop in, but the main purpose of the space is to create a "She Shack" where my girlfriends can come for sleepovers and we can hang out, do art projects, play games and drink wine! NO TV! :) I want it to be cozy, classy and comfy. I do love the idea of adding distressed beams from floor to ceiling but think this might close off the space too much as it is so small.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

then you may well need those shelves for storage of materials etc? if you eliminate but need to replace it can actually use more space not less. perhaps a futon sofa - more comfortable then pull out sofa bed. they use less room then many sofas do you have a place to do crafts?

Original Author
    6 years ago

We do, there is a sun room that I plan to use as an art studio!

• BLee
    6 years ago

If your 20 year old son is reasonably agile, get a straight up-down ladder like those used on bunk beds. Yes to a couch along side wall; any view out the windows is wasted, so 2 swivel chairs there with a small table? It's an interesting, though weird living room, best kept simple. A large quilt or hanging above the couch rather than several prints. I would also remove bookcases, which detract from airiness of a nice heigh ceilinged room. Is the bookcase wall deep enough for a bench, with storage underneath, as well as a narrow bookcase for paperback booksPerhaps game table with stacking chairs? A favorite memory of my childhood lake house was an ongoing puzzle; we all paused to fit a few more pieces in and sometimes worked together, and with puzzle covered we ate there when foul weather dampened our open air dining area. When we were teens, we squished beanbag chairs in a back room corner. They accommodated quite a crowd when bunched together in the middle of the room, and captain's chairs hid beneath beds.

• suezbell
    6 years ago

With that wood stove, consider metal as a replacement for the ladder rather than wood. If the loft will seldom be used -- and then only by your son and his friends -- remove the wood steps/ladder and make an actual aluminum ladder available for your son as needed in order to give you and your friends more room downstairs.

When your budget allows, replace the existing ladder with a circular stairwell.

https://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/fcf1a1940f49432b_4-2406/rustic-living-room.jpg

Alternately, you might consider a retractable ladder from the room beneath the loft rather than accessing the loft from the room with the wood stove.

https://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/fcf1a1940f49432b_4-2406/rustic-living-room.jpg

Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked suezbell
  • kaye1951
    6 years ago

The ladder to our loft can be pushed flat against the wall went not in use. I will post a picture when I get home tomorrow.

Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked kaye1951
  • suezbell
    6 years ago

How many people will you be entertaining at once and what will you be doing? No one actually wants to sit for an extended time anywhere but at a table in a chair with no arms.

Reading club-- comfortable chairs.

Bridge club -- table and comfortable chairs would do.

Would not crowd this space with a sofa that would limit your furniture placement and seating options.

If you are expecting three or four friends to join you at a time, choose individual comfortable chairs -- they don't need to match. If you're wanting to relax here, choose high backed chairs.

If you're on a budget, make some trips to nearby Habitat for Humanity Restore Stores and look for a platform rocker and/or a wing back chair and/or recliner and/or an executive chair.

Consider investing in alternate seating -- ottomans/stools -- preferably with wheels so they could be rolled about as needed. Stools and/or the more sturdy footlockers (or old wood child's toy box repainted) (no fabric top) to which you can add/remove cushions could, in a pinch, do double duty as either foot stool or seating.

A basic stool that could be a DIY option and, built the right size, could be used as a table or foot stool when you remove any cushion that makes it a seat:

https://static.foreverredwood.com/media/catalog/product/s/m/small_foot_stool_options.mature_redwood_12_h_no_engraving_transparent_premium_sealant._casters_added_by_custom_request._1__1.jpg

Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked suezbell
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I think the built-ins make useful storage that might be lacking in the rest of the cabin. I would paint them the same colour as the rest of the walls (whatever you choose, not the current colour) with an accent colour on the backs. The large opening that is intended for the tv would make an excellent bar. You could mirror the back and install floating shelves, wine glass racks on it. Use one side of the bookshelves for books; you can get books inexpensively at used book stores, library sales, from friends, etc. Some people (yours truly) will read anything, anywhere and I'll bet you have at least one friend like that! You could also put a few board games, decks of cards, etc on that side. The other side can hold baskets with a care package with a beautiful bath towel, hand towel, face cloths, a couple of water bottles or one reusable bottle, an initial mug, etc for each guest. The closed storage could hold extra bedding in a variety of warmths, clean sheets and pillowcases, etc etc. All interspersed with sachets of a beautiful scent of course :-)

Like previous posters, I would use one sleeper sofa on the wall across from the built-ins and two swivel chairs by the window. I would also tuck two cube ottomans or a couple of floor cushions behind the ladder, so when someone wants to toast her toes by the fire she can scoot one out.

Now about this loft: I don't think your son should get it all to himself! Make it comfy and beautiful for your taste and he can like it or lump it as they say!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Love the idea about the wine glass racks, and I absolutely concur: the loft will be comfy and beautiful so it can function as a sleepover for a friend as well as my son. Also love the idea of always having a vintage puzzle going and I have plenty of books that I can contribute. Luckily this room is just one of two living areas and a separate sunroom in the cottage, so I am leaning towards just a small couch, couple of leather swivel chairs, a C table or two and an ottoman than can move easily. This room has a great view of the lake so I think it will mostly be used for hanging out with a book and a glass of wine with a friend or two at a time. My idea with this place is to keep everything on wheels when possible and have lots of built-in storage. Thanks for all the thoughtful comments; I will post pix as it comes together!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's another view. Any good recommendations for warm white or cream paint colors that might open up the space without being cold? Yes, I'm a teensy bit obsessed with this house. :)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I would be obsessed too (in fact I think it's possible this cabin made it into my dreams last night lol). It's like a playhouse that you can be a grown up in!

• havingfun
    6 years ago

you know i can't find it right now, but there were great steps made from ikea shelves. i saw a cool ottoman that folded out to a chair and a bed.

• brwnshgr
    6 years ago

The ladder could be replaced by a lift system that can be as inexpensive as $700. Google elevators.

Lindsey Gorney_Townsend thanked brwnshgr
  • mick50
    6 years ago

You said the ladder folds flat against the wall when not in use and your son will only be there occasionally. So there's no need to replace it...just fold it flat when your son's not there.

Is the veining on the walls a paint treatment, wallpaper, or something else?

• Laura Villar
    6 years ago

Following cool spot!

Original Author
    6 years ago

No, the ladder does not fold flat; it's glued down somehow to the floor. The veining on the walls is the weirdest thing I've ever seen; some kind of bizarre texture treatment. I'm thinking I just need to put wood planks over it!