Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Guessing game: Can you spot Abraham Darby?

Lisa Adams
6 years ago

I pruned my Abraham Darby down to the ground recently, due to rust. I did leave one cane and I no longer remember whether or not I did it purposely. It was completely clean of rust and behind ‘Violet’s Pride’. Anyway, I noticed it today because it was blooming. I added just the one bloom and one bud, to this vase that already contained ‘Princess Charlene de Monaco’. All the PCDM’s were cut a few days ago. It’s the “downtime” for many right now, so I thought this might be fun. Can you spot the ONE bloom and ONE bud of Abraham Darby amongst the ‘Princess Charlene de Monaco’s’?

It’s NOT the one pink Sonia Rykiel bloom on the upper right. Bonus points for finding both the Abe Darby bloom AND the bud.

Comments (29)

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

The bloom is top center and the bud is to its lower right as we look at it.

Lisa Adams thanked nikthegreek
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

OK, I'll give it a shot. It looks like that Abe bloom is to the left of Sonia Rykiel (as we face the picture). A wild guess for the bud: right next to that bloom with one of the sepals unfurling. Love the guess games! The bouquet is amazing.

Lisa Adams thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

Oops, Nik and I posted at the same time. We didn't make the same guess for the bud though!

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Yes we did.

Lisa Adams thanked nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Just to clarify for the bud. I was pointing to the one above and to the right of the (guessed) Abe bloom. A couple of its green sepals are unfurling.

• K S
    6 years ago

I am guessing the same bloom as the others (the pinkish one to the left of Sonia Rykiel) but I think the Abe bud is the one at the very top, with the sort of burnt orange tip.

Lisa Adams thanked K S
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

I can't tell...but tell you what brilliant idea !

Jin

Lisa Adams thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

AD appears to be just below and slightly to the left of the companion plant at the top of the bouquet. The bud may be the one with the half-unfurled sepals. Gorgeous bouquet!

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If I'm reading everyone's reply correctly, I agree with the bloom ID. I think we're all looking at the same one? Just below the lovely (what are they?) companion flowers Ingrid pointed out. Or as Nik said, the top center full bloom in the row of full blooms.

My iPhonne screen is making me dizzy, but I think the Abe bud is at the top center. I believe that's the one Vesfl and Ingrid and KS picked, too?

A great test of observation and intimate knowledge of Abe D. Who knew there were so many gorgeous apricot Austins out there? Clever of you to corral them in one vase alongside Sonia R, Lisa! Carol

Lisa Adams thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

I guessed the same one as well, if I am reading all the replies correctly!

Lisa Adams thanked Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Marlorena, yes for the bloom and I think we were all guessing the same one. But I'm not sure that we were all thinking about the same bud. On you edited photo, I added my guess for the bud as pointed in blue here (I'm probably wrong):

6 years ago

I was thinking only 1 of Marlorena picture , the left one only of the purple arrow Marlorena pointed Bec of little orange tones. Just couldn't described it when Lisa 1 st put up the thread but I could be wrong with my first thought .

Jin

• User
    6 years ago

vesfl... aah I see, yes you could be right... hopefully Lisa won't keep us in suspense for too long..

Lisa Adams thanked User
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

I guess I'd pick the same ones as Marlorena due to the less scalloped petals on the open rose. Not really sure on the bud. This is a cool post :) It really is a beautiful bouquet.

Geez CdM sure makes a good dupe for Abe lol. That's the reason I ordered her for spring. Hoping her fragrance is as great. I might have to order a few more CdM's.

~Sjn

Lisa Adams thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, I’m going to use vsfl’s last picture as my reference. You guys are good! To the naked eye they were harder to tell apart. Plus, I first took photos indoors and the colors were indecipherable. My table was too cluttered, and I erased those and retook photos outside. The AD bloom is the one left center,(vsfl’s far left arrow). The bud is the one that she has written “Abe bud?” by. I really thought it was going to be much harder! Sometime when they both have load of buds and blooms at the same time I should do this again. You guys really know your Abe Darby! I’m impressed. Indoors, to the naked eye, the bloom was so similar that I marked it with a tiny dot of sharpie pen. That was just so I wouldn’t mix them up. Once I took the pictures outside, I realized the mark was unnecessary.

Princess Charlene de Monaco is quickly becoming a favorite! She does fade, so the blooms need to be cut for indoors. She’s very similar to AD, but healthier. IMO her scent is as good if not better than Abe’s. She’s probably my favorite for cutting. Thanks for “playing”! I thought I would have you all stumped, but you’re all too good:) Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sjn, PCDM’s fragrance is fresh and fruity, but strong. It sometimes reminds me a bit of my Madame Alfred Carrière somehow, although I don’t know why. Her scent is one of my favorites. Lisa

6 years ago

The bud was hard, Lisa. The only reason why I didn't pick the other one is that it seems to have slightly ruffled edges, similar to your gorgeous PCDM. And, since the third bud wasn't even opening, I knew that a nice person like you would not give us a bud that didn't have at least some clue. I think at least a couple of other people guessed the same but my guess was really by elimination :-)

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, the bud WAS hard. If I had had more PCDM buds with the dark edges available, it would have been even harder.

I think ultimately the winner should be Nik, since he was the very first one to guess correctly. I will definitely do it again when the timing works out right. I’ll try to make it especially hard next time. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before I have enough of AD to do it again. Other than than that one cane, he’s only an 8 inch stump at the moment.

I’d be hard pressed to choose my favorite between the two. PCDM is healthier for me, but my AD is grafted. I’m becoming increasingly disenchanted with grafted David Austins. Abe’s blooms don’t fade as much nor as quickly in the sun as PCDM’s do. However, Abe’s blooms sometimes fail to open fully, occasionally browning while still in that “half opened” stage. I’ve never seen that problem on PCDM. They both have wonderful scent, different but equally strong. Abe will climb, but also sprawl in every direction. PCDM shoots up fast in a vase like shape, although bendable for gorgeous long, straight, blooming laterals. PCDM lasts longer on the bush and in the vase, in both hot and cooler temps. The bugs have a definite preference for Abe, both for his blooms and foliage. It seems to me that Abe is more of a water hog than PCDM, and let’s not forget, he’s the one who came down with that “spectacular case of orange rust”. That was during our period of 3-5% humidity and a couple of missed waterings. PCDM sailed through the same treatment without any problems.

I enjoy them both and grow them side by side. I’m curious as to whether my locally purchased PCDM is grafted or ownroot. All the online nurseries seem to be offering her ownroot this year. It’s too dark now for me to go out and look for a graft. I’m wondering if she might stay shorter ownroot. Actually, I wonder if Abe Darby would stay shorter ownroot, too? I really love both of these roses, especially for arrangements. Lisa

6 years ago

Wahoo ! Congrats Nik ! I can't wait for next rose jeopardy. This is so cool. Love it

Jin

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I'm interested in the DA own root vs grafted issue too, Lisa. I get own root mostly but I can't resist an occasional grafted one. If I don't have one of each own root and grafted of the same variety, I'll probably have trouble drawing conclusions. I think own root should live longer. I have had grafted roses with such a long shank there is no way I could bury the graft, without digging to China, which could have helped them go own root over time had I been able to do it.

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My biggest complaint about the grafted DA’s is the RMV. (Although I don’t want to open THAT can of worms again:) I would love to hear from someone that grew both and could make a comparison. Due to space restrictions, smaller is always better for me. Lisa

6 years ago

I wondered if American DA own root were RMV free on this forum and did not get clarity. In theory they could be if they don't mix their infected stock but who knows. We'll hope someone doesn't spot this. Dr. Manners is overworked as it is, I'm sure.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

HAHA! I know EXACTLY what you mean, Sheila:)

• User
    6 years ago

WOW, love the bouquet... beautiful !

Lisa Adams thanked User
  • lindaperry_9b
    6 years ago

Lisa, fun post and gorgeous blooms! (in January!) (Congratulations to Nik and all players) Sheila, I was interested in the DA own-root RMV question, too. Last spring I called their Customer Service who said they’d research the source of own-root cuttings and got back shortly to say they’re all from back home in the UK. They believed the mother plants there were grafted, but that doesn’t sound like a problem, does it, since they apparently aren’t plagued with the virus there, fortunately. (Nice, husky own-roots from what I’ve seen.)

Not too late to say “Happy New Year!” to all!

Linda

Lisa Adams thanked lindaperry_9b
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, like I said I don’t want to open a can of worms again, but if you search my post about my “DA Mary Rose,grafted” it’s a mess. I’ve since bought an ownroot hoping it will be v free. I’m considering changing out my grafted AD for an OR, too.

Thanks for the compliments. They kind of grow themselves here! I just love picking them to enjoy indoors.

PS. How are you Jill? Jet Spray is doing well and has even produced some adorable tiny blooms! Lisa

6 years ago

Linda, Thank you! That is the first direct information on this topic I have heard. That would be such good news if accurate. I will continue to observe my DA own root and grafted to see if I can see differences.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

As Sheila said, Linda, thank you so much! Carol