Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_smith7792

Fallen into rustic, need to get back to transitional (living room)

Angela Smith
6 years ago

We have been in our new construction home about six weeks and I am starting to get close on having our great room complete. The fireplace mantle is a 100-year-old barn would beam that we restored. We then had a sliding barn door door media console made - in the same color/finish as the beam (top) and the bottom is SW Dover White. I selected white because I thought it would tie in nicely to the white cabinets in the kitchen. Now that it is here, I am feeling like I am falling into a little bit too rustic when I prefer a transitional style, also ok with 'modern rustic'. Repainting the tv stand is not an option at this point.

I do not think all hope is lost! In the big open space opposite the chairs, a love seat in the same color and arm style (sloped track arm) as the chairs will be arriving soon. **I need help selecting transitional style end tables, a console table for behind the sofa And a cocktail ottoman. I could also use some help with lamps, also open to help with window treatments (big windows are west facing)** Bonus points for product links! Thank you!

(PS- the TV is being upgraded to a larger size and will be mounted on the wall)

Comments (25)

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Close up of mantle

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO that TV stand does not work at all in the space for either style, I would have added 2 more chairs and not a loveseat which is going to look like a bunch of mismatched furnitur IMO a sofa and a loveseat need to match and chairs can be different in fact I would never do a loveseat at all

• deegw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You have a lot of nice things in your room but your sofa dominates and it is neither transitional or rustic. Is it a new purchase that you need to work around? A more graceful sofa in a lighter color would really make a difference in the room.

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree new sofa would be ideal. However, we cannot afford it right now. Between the appliances, other new furnishings, putting in a yard, and a driveway, it is simply not in the budget at this moment. A lighter, more graceful sofa will likely show up in the next year or two. I understand that in the Houzz the world, this is not what people prefer. However, it is what we have available to us and I am determined to be happy with the space because it cost a lot of money to build this house! That is why I am trying to find end tables, lamps, and other decor that will help bring the room together as is.

• flyr4fun
    6 years ago

Congrats on your new home, you made it this far! Love your mantle. What do the barn doors on the console look like on the other side? Solid, no X? Maybe you could flip them around so they'd just be plain. A cream glaze applied over the white could tone it down a bit. Maybe even a tinted wax. Better wait til your other piece arrives and see how much room you have left for the tables and ottoman. It might be tight for space with the walkway behind.

Angela Smith thanked flyr4fun
  • gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    6 years ago

Totally agree with d_gw! Work with what you have now and forget the love seat.

• PRO
    Decorating Den Interiors - Kathy McGroarty
    6 years ago

All hope is not lost!! It is not always possible to just buy everything new.

1. for console table I would maybe look for metal and light marble or glass/metal keep it lighter in feel and color against the dark sofa.

2. Table between the chairs? If yes i would go darker a wood piece.

3. Cocktail table could go either way with wood or as suggested in item #1 which is probably where I lean.

4. Windows I would probably pull in the blue from the art and rug.

5. Add pillows with some pattern and a bit of the blue color and maybe a throw on the sofa

last you did not ask about arranging but could you angle sofa some so it is facing tv and fireplace. Then i think it opens up the windows some so it does not seem you have to push things off center to fit and then spread them out a bit with table between

Angela Smith thanked Decorating Den Interiors - Kathy McGroarty
  • blfenton
    6 years ago

For tables I agree with Kathy and would go with metal frames but with wood tops that are the same colour as your mantle/island

http://facilfurniture.com/wood-metal-coffee-table/elegant-wood-metal-coffee-table-metal-frame-wood-top-table-industrial-coffee-tables-other/

This sort of thing but with a darker top. The metal ties in with the railing, your pendants and the hinges on the TV stand and the darker wood ties in with the mantle and island.=, while the whole look ties in with your rock fireplace.

If you prefer an ottoman this type of table is available in sofa table style as well and would give a really clean look to bridge the kitchen and living area but I do know they are not to everyones taste.

I like your TV stand as it adds a certain eclectic personality to the room.

Angela Smith thanked blfenton
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

Do not mount your new TV high on the wall. The high floating TV only works in a hospital room. Keep the hight about the same and depending on the size, you can place the same stand below.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/on-my-soapbox-mounting-the-flatscreen-too-high-dsvw-vd~4537748

Angela Smith thanked jhmarie
  • Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I promise the TV will be mounted low! The current console is only 27" high for that exact reason!

• housegal200
    6 years ago

It's a good idea to slow down a lot of decorating decisions when you move into a new home, especially since you've been deciding a million details in a new build. That's why it's hard to go back on that decision about the extra sofa. A high number of Design Dilemmas have to do with problems of a second sofa or loveseat. Since the sofa hasn't been delivered see if you can cancel the order.

Yes, move one of the chairs opposite the other one and anchor it all with a round glass coffee table so you can see your rug through the table. This will give you a conversational grouping that will feel much cozier than another sofa.For the TV, look for a half-wall bookcase wood that matches the stain of the mantle and goes all the way to the doorway. This will greatly improve the feel and usefulness of the room. Here are some arrangements though the cabinetry is more elaborate than I'm suggesting.

Oh, curtains:

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

If you were to paint the dark trim on the console the same color as the pain that would make it look less rustic, and it won't be that much work,

Angela Smith thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • amykath
    6 years ago

I agree with D_GW. I would take your time. Start with one piece you would like to find first. Find something you love and that will help direct you for all of the other items. I would also look at various living rooms you like. Take your time and see what it is you like about them. Sometimes for me, it is the over all vibe or the colors/warmth etc.

We finished our build two and half years ago and I still have unfinished rooms. I have taken things slowly. I find when I run to find a bunch of things to fill a space I regret some of what I have purchased.

You have a lovely home. I am sure you are exhausted of all the decision making. Take it easy and time some time.

The right things (things you love) will present themselves.

Angela Smith thanked amykath
  • amykath
    6 years ago

I was looking through your ideabooks and noticed a set up you might consider for now. In the photo the two chairs are on the opposite side of the window. It might be worth a shot to move them to the other side and let the windows be free and clear for now. Also in the photo I noticed there were large plants. I love that! They fill up spaces and give color and life to a room. These were the two I saw. I am not saying the furniture in the room in your ideabook but just the set up is one to consider.

Angela Smith thanked amykath
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Angela Smith thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Decorating Den Interiors - Kathy McGroarty
    6 years ago

The blue window treatments will be so pretty and yes live a big piece of art in the kitchen. Visual look great BeverlyFLADezigner

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    6 years ago

Why not try investing in some lighter pillows and some blue accents for the space? Your rug has a lovely blue in it so you can use that with the lighter pillows.

Angela Smith thanked MARGARITA BRAVO
  • kjoy1
    6 years ago

I love your rug...where did you get it?

Angela Smith thanked kjoy1
  • Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kas Crete 6507 Ivory Illusion Area Rug and I actually bought it here on Houzz! I saw it at my local furniture store but Houzz had a better price. It photographs much differently than it looks in person.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Thank you...very pretty:)

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Houzzers! I think I've convinced my hubby to sell the media console as I believe I can get about what I paid for it (he's all about the almighty dollar). Can you recommend a better TV console design that might work in it's place??

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Pottery Barn

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

You either need an accent chair, or you need to move one of the matching chairs to the other side, to create a U shape in the seating arrangement. And then you need a coffee table.

• twinfield
    6 years ago

Super cute room. I think you need a taller media cabinet - maybe something like this: https://www.worldmarket.com/product/chevron-wood-storage-cabinet.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn