Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryehoffman

Does anybody have experience with Gemcore vinyl plank flooring?

T H
6 years ago

We are looking at the Gemcore by Reward Ruby stone composite flooring. I haven't found much info on it other than the manufacturers web site. I found a color and pattern I like but would like to find out more about it. Thanks!

Comments (82)

• janee_callaghan
    5 years ago

I have put the gem core ruby down - love. Scuffs and scratches can be filled in with a furniture marker. Works like magic.

• Robert Arbitter
    5 years ago
    I’m having the Gemcore Onyx Arroyo installed in my condo. The flooring looks good. My installer likes the product.

I read the care instructions and it mentions using a vinyl cleaner and cleaning the cleaner residue with a damp mop. I also read the no microfiber comment in the care instructions. So what products are people using to clean their floors?
  • janee_callaghan
    5 years ago

We have the floor in two homes. Just put in the Ruby collection. It does scuff - this product scuffs more than the lighter one previously used. However the scuffs are easily taken care of with Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker

• yvette_garcia62
    4 years ago
    Jexo can you give us an update as to how you’re liking your floors so far? Trying to decide between Republic and GemCore too. Also, what color is your SPC?
  • jaxo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The floors are still fine. I’m still looking for cleaning info.

They recommended using Rejuvenate floor cleaner. I tried it and it left a sticky film on the floor.

This is why I want to us a steam mop instead.

Has anyone tried it? I can’t see why a floor rated for floods and heat can be damaged by a steam mop.

What other cleaning methods work on this flooring that leave zero residue?

The Rejuvenate bottle literally says “Residue and streak free” on the label but that’s a lie.

• janee_callaghan
    4 years ago

I use a simple mixture of vinegar and water and my floors always look great. I absolutely love the Gemcore floors.

• HU-652825232
    4 years ago

I am an owner of a large flooring company. We are looking at using this product with all of our builders. However, the fact that it scratches and scuffs is really concerning. With over 45 years in this business, vinyl surfaces of any type will continue to scratch and scuff. There are only two products that I know of that won't scratch or scuff. Revwood products by Mohawk and ceramic tile. The big selling point on Gemcore is that it is water proof and it will not move. Most floating floors will expand and contract depending on the temperature and the humidity. In the winter months the floor contracts, so you see gapping. In the summer months they expand so you see end joints that will pop up. Gemcore is 70% stone......so it does not expand or contract. For the lady that had scratches in her floor, your flooring contractor should come our and replace those pieces that have been damaged. I am guessing that they put your appliances back in place.

floating floors are easily repaired. I hope this helps. Most floors can scratch. That doesn't mean they aren't good floors. But! For the money you spent you could probably have had a wood floor installed in your house.

• T H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My installer said he couldn't replace the scraped plank, and we felt that over time we wouldn't notice it. That has definitely been true. I was upset at first but don't even see it anymore. It's been almost a year and it has overall held up great and looks fantastic. It cleans up nicely. I have no regrets over choosing it!

• T H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just realized that it has been almost 2 years, not one year. :-)

• Jenny
    3 years ago

what color did you install? @jaxo

• jaxo
    3 years ago

Ruby Palisade.

• Lindsey Graves
    3 years ago

we just installed onyx cornell color and already have scratches from our bar stools. What is going on!! Paid a ton of money and they scratch super easy??!!!

• Patrick Zabala
    3 years ago

HU-652825232 Thank You for your input, curious why you feel gemcoat is the same cost as a wood floor?

• Sandra Aldana
    3 years ago

Lindsey Graves, have you gotten any resolution? We want Onyx Cornell too. disap to hear it’s scratched with your stools. We ha e stools too.

• idam
    3 years ago

I have this flooring in my business in Del Mar California it is only one year old and it has buckled in three places and the seams are not tight on it so the glue seeps up in between the joints every time it gets wet at all ? I would not suggest this flooring. I’ve tried to put in a warranty claim and no one from the company has responded after several call over several weeks, terrible customer service!

• T H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am surprised at all of the problems as we have not had any of these issues in almost 3 years of use. I have used Rejuvenate vinyl floor cleaner several times and that has helped keep it newer looking (especially where chairs scrape). Our floor still looks great and I am happy that we got it - and I hope it will last for many more years. I am disappointed at the complaints about customer service, though. There is no excuse for not responding to problems!

• HU-170978184
    3 years ago

We installed the Gemcore Jade collection throughout our remodeled home. The planks that are installed next to the southern facing sliding glass doors all warped, cupped and buckled. Also, the floor is getting badly scuffed from a chair. The videos on the website pitch the product as being heat resistant and pet scratch resistant. So, why has the product not performed as promoted? The retailer is being responsive, but Gemcore is MIA. It seems what Gemcore promotes to the public, and upon which we relied, is not what we received from Gemcore. Do others have these issues?

• T H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about the poor customer service. I am watching a couple of areas but so far not having any issues as bad as you describe.

• Evie Taylor
    3 years ago

I had GemCore Laguna installed all throughout my home 2 1/2 years ago - except for my bathrooms and entryway. I've been very happy with it. Even our dog didn't scuff it. Nice product!

• T H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I wonder if you got a bad batch or had a poor installation...I never noticed anything like that.

• Suzannah Bates
    3 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of Gemcore’s Onyx collection in the color Oxnard?

• Jasbir Kaur
    2 years ago

Does anyone know about Gemcore Topaz capistrano collection

• janee_callaghan
    2 years ago

I have put the Gemcore down in 2 houses and I love it

• BRUCE PRATT
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This floor is beautiful. We will be ripping up our carpet & installing the Gemcore Onyx flooring (in the color "Lawson") in our entry/Liv.Rm/Dining Rm/long hallway. This type of floor w/high wear-layer rating was recommended by 3 different professional installers, two have it in their own homes.

I read on many sites that the best type of furniture gliders and pads to put on the bottom of furniture is FELT. I found a huge pkg at my local Costco for all my dining room chair legs & all other smaller pieces of furniture. I'll use permanent glue (a dab or two) to glue them on. Felt will never scratch, nor will the very soft lambswool-looking covers that go over heavy furniture sliders (for my heavy couch, china hutch, etc). We don't wear shoes in our home (though on occasion a guest will & that's ok too w/these floors). The only carpet we want in our home is in the den & all bdrms. We will be going with the hypoallergenic type: https://www.mohawkflooring.com/carpet/brand/airo due to my asthma & dust allergies.

• Barbie E
    2 years ago

Bruce, did you install Gemcor Onyx Lawson? We are considering and would love to know how it turned out. Not sure if the photo above is you or not?

• L. L.
    2 years ago

I'm looking to connect with anyone who has successfully worked with Gemcor on a warranty issue. We installed the luxury vinyl a year ago and started having major issues 6 months ago. We aren't getting any attention or resolution from Gemcor.

• T H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We just bought and installed more of this same product in another part of our condo. I have a couple of small cracks in the previous installation of the planks, and I asked the distributor I bought the new stuff from if he's had any experience with warranty work with this manufacturer. He said that they have not had any problems with the product, but if I had any problems with it that they would handle any warranty claims against the manufacturer. He said that if I wanted to make a warranty claim on the previous installation that I should go back to the store where I bought it and ask them to do it. However that store is now out of business so I'm just going to wait and see what happens with the new flooring. I would ask him to handle warranty work on the entire floor if any problems come up with the planks they provided. The installers I hired this round did a much more thorough prep before laying down the floor so I am hoping for no further problems! Have you been in touch with the store you bought it from?

• L. L.
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for your response! Yes we have been, as well as the installer, and we aren't getting anywhere with them. The distributor sent someone out to look, essentially said the chairs that are being used caused the problem (which seems ridiculous after just a few months), and gave reasons why the warranty won't cover the problem, but no official word. Now we aren't getting a response to further phone calls. It sounds like the distributor is supposed to initiate the warranty claim with the manufacturer. Is that correct? Thanks so much for your help!

• lauriebee
    last year

I bought a new house and chose Gemcore Onyx from the builder. The floor is beautiful, but its starting to cup at the end to end seems and I've only been in my house for 8 months and its only me.

• Suzannah Bates
    last year

lauriebee,
    We purchased Gemcore Onyx for our newly constructed home that we closed on Nov 2021. There has been some buckling in a couple areas. This is part of what I’ve listed under warranty issues that need to be corrected. Have you had this looked at as well? What’s been the outcome?

• lauriebee
    last year

Suzannah,

So far the person I’ve been dealing wih has told me this is nòrmal which is a typical response. I will persue dealing with someone higher up. My floor started out cupping in a few areas right from the beginning, but this past month it has gotten worse. Good luck in getting your flooring issues resolved.

• Kaytee Hoechlin
    last year

We had the GemCore Topaz Marina in our bew build home. 2 years ago. The color wasntnour choice do we didn’t love that, but we really love the product and have had no issues. we have a couple cats and 2 labs and it hasn’t scuffed, scratched or buckled anywhere. I’ve dropped countless sharp and heavy things on it with no issue. We live in Northern Nevada where its very dry year round so humidity levels are low and dont fluctuate much. I do know that there are a couple things that are important for this type of floor. First an experienced installer that will understand the proper install gapping for expansion and contraction for the climate. The second is that the flooring should be brought into the space and left to acclimate for several days minimum if not longer before installation. Unfortunately our house recently flooded so everything is being replaced. We liked the floor so much we are sticking with thr product but chose the Coronado color as it is warmer and has a more natural look. We are very excited. As for cleaning I mix water, bona, and mrs meyers multipurpose cleaner. It has given the best results. i just squeeze the mop out do it is barely damp.

• Elise
    last year

Has anyone used their topaz collection? Will it work on very uneven floors in a condo?

• Elise
    last year

Actually it is manhattan topaz collection

• Terrye Hoffman
    last year

I would consult with a flooring installation professional (not just a salesman). I think that the problem I have in the half of the condo that was the original installation is that they did not level the floor. You can feel the slightly uneven areas when you walk on them, and that is where the planks cracked. The installer in the newer part of the condo spent time leveling the floor before installing the planks, and also put a very thin underlayer down below the planks. It might cost more to get a quality installation but that might be what you need for the product to work out.

• User
    last year

I have been consulting and opinions vary. I wondered if folks have first hand experience. Was light cement used? I can’t afford an engineer to see about the weight.

• millworkman
    last year

"Will it work on very uneven floors in a condo?"

No, floors must be flat to within an 1/8" over 10' for most any type flooring other than carpet or sheet vinyl.

• lauriebee
    last year

So i just met with my builder and a new flooring manager and the reason my floor is buckling is because of installer error. There was a high moisture content so they think the installer didn’t put down a moisture barrier. The solution is all new floors and baseboards.

• Suzannah Bates
    last year

Oh wow! So good to hear that you’re getting the new flooring and baseboards. My areas of buckling haven’t even been looked at yet. So frustrating. Did you have a ton of areas that buckled?

• lauriebee
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yes, in all areas. When I first moved in there were a few noticeable end seams that were popping up. In the past few months it’s progressed to many end seams and many side seams. You can run your hand over the seams and feel the ridges. You can see the end seam ridges in the pic, but side seam ridges don't show in the pic. Hang in there Suzannah! I would contact the builder again, and document everything.

• Suzannah Bates
    last year

Thank you for this! After almost a year, the builder is coming to evaluate them this coming Wednesday. It’s about time!

• lauriebee
    last year

Yay! Let me know how it goes. Still haven't gotten a date for the new install. Patiently waiting…

• taylor3910
    last year

I had Gemcore Ruby Laguna installed throughout my home a little more than 4 years ago. I immediately put felt pads under chairs and furniture and haven't noticed any scuffing at all. Even my dog running all over hasn't scratched it. I noticed that someone here said that glue is coming up between the boards, but this kind of flooring isn't supposed to be glued down. I'm thinking that some of the issues may be a result of installation errors. I don't have any buckling either. All in all, I'm very happy with the flooring, but I did pay for an experienced installer to do the work.

• taylor3910
    last year

I clean my Gemcore Ruby collection floors with warm water, vinegar, and just a touch of soap... sometimes. I don't want to have to rinse them. Mopping is enough work! Also, I don't think I would try using a steam cleaner.

• Suzannah Bates
    last year

Our flooring was installed by whomever the builder used for installation. I have a couple of minor scratches, but they were likely caused by something my 5 year old daughter dragged. We have Gemcore Onyx Huntington. We did the same - felt pads under all furniture and chairs. It’s very hard to tell when there is a scratch due to the texture. We do have some buckling and I’m 100% convinced it’s either installation error or a result of the new construction house settling. The buckling is isolated in areas and doesn’t seem to have processed over almost a full year. They’re coming out to assess Wednesday. We do love the floors and have them all throughout the house. They are low maintenance and super easy to clean. It’s a bit deceiving because you can’t tell where dirt is unless it’s a very light piece of something, like paper.

• taylor3910
    last year

• Melody M
    last year

Love the color, do you know what it is?

• PRO
    Galleher Commercial
    last year

ronrodriguez@galleher.com

we respresent GemCore SBC and much more @Galleher.com

• weezie12
    last year

Has any one installed the gemcore Onyx over infloor radiant heat? If so please let me know how it went and if you put a layer of plywood between the radiant heat and the flooring or if you installed directly over. Did you glue or just click in place?