GET IDEAS
terryehoffman

Does anybody have experience with Gemcore vinyl plank flooring?

T H

We are looking at the Gemcore by Reward Ruby stone composite flooring. I haven't found much info on it other than the manufacturers web site. I found a color and pattern I like but would like to find out more about it. Thanks!

• T H

I don't know - you'll have to contact them and ask. I don't see it on a quick glance at their website. https://www.gemcoreflooring.com/contact/

• Andy

Thanks for the picture, I'm also considering Gemcore Ruby collection in the Venice color. Is that the one you have? https://www.gemcoreflooring.com/products/#/ruby/

does anyone have experience with luxury vinyl tile

LVT - as they are called - come in several different profiles (layers that make up the floor). The LVT that have a layer of vinyl over top of a "board" (fibreboard, wood, limestone paste, etc) are great for "dry" areas AND have problems with delamination in direct sunlight. That means: NO kitchens, no bathrooms, no entranceways no "sunny" areas. Some even have issues in basements because of the middle core. Planks are very rigid/don't bend at all. The next level is LVT that is solid black vinyl (3mm - 5mm thick). These planks are normally quite bendy. These planks are water proof IF glued in place. These planks also have warping issues in direct sunlight. Just like plastic, it will warp/discolour in direct sunlight. The HIGH END stuff out of Switzerland is a vinyl on vinyl product. This is 6mm - 8mm thick. The middle layer will have a gray "pumice stone" look to it. This is normally a click together product, it does not bend or warp easily. This has a lower chance of warping in direct sunlight...but too much heat and it will still warp...like any plastic.

Feedback desired: luxury vinyl tile / plank floors

we installed core tec plus almost 2 yrs ago in family, dining & living room. We have 3 large dogs (one is a very energetic puppy) and it still looks new. We did wide plank and it has the cork-like padding on the back of each & it just clicks together and is easy to cut to length. It's quiet and very cushy to walk on. I damp mop with water only, no special cleaner required (although they do have special vinyl cleaner if you like that stuff). We just purchased 22 more boxes to replace floors in bedrooms & guest bath. Visitors can't believe it's vinyl. We love it.

Vinyl wood plank flooring for kitchen

We got this through Sears back in 1997. Other than the two thing I've mentioned, it held up very well until we had a water leak from our ice maker that caused the particle board subfloor to expand, and a huge hump to develop from it. I think it was Formica. The one other issue we had is that we had to wax it a very specific way so that it looked right. It was comparable to applying polyurethane to a piece of wood you're finishing. We would devote a couple of day every summer to stripping, cleaning and waxing the floor because the wax had to be applied so precisely. Here are a couple of pictures of it. For the money, it was well worth it, and I think the water issue is going to damage just about any floor. And I do have a rug under the dogs' water dish....

Allure ultra vinyl plank vs coreluxe xd vinyl plank

This is an old thread but I have the same question about Corelux EVP. Does anyone have this? Do they love it or hate it? How durable is it? I really like the look of the Lumber Liquidators Corelux EVP in Maple -- the wood looks very realistic at least in the small sample they have. And the reviews on their website are all glowing but I wonder if this forum might be more unbiased?
  • T H

Yes!

• JC
    Is there any lingering smell with the product?
  • T H

None that I've noticed.

• Shirin Sobhanipour
    Are you still happy about your floor ?
    I want buy the same color .
    Can you please put another picture ?
  • T H

I love it after I clean it - very easy to clean and I still love the color. I also like that it doesn't feel cold in the morning and that it reduces the echo in the larger living/dining room.

I have been working on the scuff that was caused when the workers put in the fridge - if you get this, tell them to be very careful, and if they say they are always careful tell them to be even more careful than they usually are! The top layer is thin and can be scuffed. I am trying a combination of a magic eraser to remove the dirt that is stuck in the scuff, then covering the scuff with a think layer of WD40 to seal it. It looks better, at least for now.

Some furniture leaves a black mark but with a little work it seems to wash off. I've also noticed that if a drop of water dries on it, it leaves a noticeable circle. Maybe all the vinyl planks are like that, but I didn't notice it as much with the sheet vinyl that was there before.

Except for that, it still looks as good as when they installed it (it hasn't been very long, but I consider it a good sign). I'll try to post another picture soon.

• chrisntine

T H thanks for sharing your experience, your floor looks beautiful! I thought Venice looked too light for me, but your photo looks much warmer than the the Gemcore website -- in person does it look more like your photo? I didn't see Venice in the store but will keep looking. Thanks!

• wine4don

I was wondering if anyone else has installed this product? We have one contractor suggesting it. We currently have bamboo that scratched and dented unbelievably from 10yrs ago and want to pull it out. **We have small dog also. worried TH your one comment on water drops. She makes water drops when she drinks from her bowl. Do you still have issues? this seems to be the ONLY review on this product line.

• knmetcalf

T H, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'd like to see another picture - the first one you posted isn't showing up now and I'd love to get a look how this product appears in real life! Thank you! Any other reviews would also be appreciated.

• sierra400

• sierra400

• sierra400

• sierra400

• sierra400

• sierra400

I have posted above a few photos of the samples I received. The flooring seems very nice and durable BUT the wear layer is very plasticy and really gives it a fake sheen. The two colors are Cardiff (lighter) and Monterey Walnut (darker)

• Debbie Crouse
    We are also looking at GemCore and are very surprised to see the comments about scratches and dents. It supposedly has a lifetime warranty. Did you try to get it covered by the warranty? Any other scratches aside from the refrigerator?

Has anyone else tried it?
  • Risela Lim

I'm surprised the picture doesn't show the Venice to be very light. Your floor has a warm hue. Maybe it's the lighting? I got a large piece from the floor store to try at home and it's very light colored. The website also allows you to use a pic of your room and it places the flooring in the pic.

• T H

I've been away from the site and missed the comments and questions. I'll try to answer these recent ones now! I still love the floor. It is holding up very well, except for the scratch by the fridge. I did not try to contact them about warranty on it because I just figured that they'd say it was our fault and I didn't think they'd pay to tear up the floor to fix the scratched tiles. Otherwise, no other blemishes have happened. As far as the spots from water - they are not permanent spots, they wipe right up. They would probably appear on many types of floors, not just the vinyl. The only floor I've had that didn't show spots and scuffs at all is ceramic tile, and we didn't want that.

I don't know how to respond to the questions about how warm the is, because I'm not very design-savvy - I just know what I like! The honey oak cabinets cover all of the walls, and the grey floor and white/grey countertops and backsplash (along with stainless steel appliances) give it a clean, more modern look, I think. :-)

• jaxo

Can't see enough detail in the quality of the kitchen photos. It looks kind of like sheet vinyl.

I'm debating between this and Republic Floors.

I think Republic Floors look less plasticky, but durability is a top priority and it may be too delicate. Real hardwood is, of course, too fragile and scratch prone. Easy to ruin with a spill of water or a leaking pipe.

I really want a waterproof lifetime floor that I will never need to replace again unless I get extremely tired of the look and have money to burn on new floors.

• Kammy

just joining the conversation. I had these floors recently installed and love them! We live close to the beach and bring a phenomenal amount of sand into our home, this clean up nicely and feel great on my feet! We have had no problem with scuffing or marking. our installer was extremely careful in moving the appliances and we added felt padding to all of our furniture legs. Last week we had a lot of people traffic as well as our dog and ti couldn't be happier with how week these floors perform.

• Kammy
    I chose Coronado from the Ruby Collection.
  • jaxo

I ended up going with Gemcore Ruby even though I think many Republic Floors styles look a little bit more natural.

I think it looks almost as good as Republic floors and is backed by a better, longer warranty with fewer exclusions to avoid coverage.

I wanted the 28mm wear layer in the Ruby line that may hold up better over time than Republic Floors will.

• jaxo

Is there any reason a steam mop can't be used on their SPC Ruby Collection floors that are rated as waterproof an heat resistant?

https://rewardflooring.com/pages/gemcore-videos

Video in the link below is demoing the heat resistance.

I use a steam mop on tile and it would be nice if I didn't have to clean the floors with 2 different methods and also not need to buy any cleaning chemicals if I just use steam.

Rewardflooring.com don't seem to have anything on their own web site.

I found this PDF on Shopify after a Google search and it seems ridiculous since it mentions not recommending using microfiber. I'm pretty sure that must be an error because, if you can use microfiber to wipe glass and plastic lenses that are very easily scratched, there is no way that it can damage floors that you must walk on.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0021/4502/6101/files/Gemcore_Maintenance.pdf?5510430959509643579

Use soft cleaning towels to spread the cleanser and to clean afterwards. Do not use hard towels made from stiff natural fibers, microfiber, or other abrasive material.

What??!!

The Ruby collection is supposed to be durable with the thickest wear layer they have and warrantied for limited commercial use.

Also, I don't know who has towels made of hard enough fibers to scratch floors (especially one with an acrylic wear layer). If the towel can scratch floors, it would probably make you bleed if you used it on your skin.

Something is wrong with their instructions if they have the scary cleaning guide on one hand and call it commercial quality, waterproof and heat resistant on the other.

"Gemcore will not be affected by spills, leaks, or even floods, and is uniquely suited to areas where moisture or water can be a problem for other types of floor covering:

• Bathroom floors

• Kitchen floors

• Laundry rooms

• At or below grade floors"

• Irma Keheley
    I absolutely love it. Our installer was amazing and made sure to roll all appliances on floor covering. Great for water and dogs.
  • janee_callaghan

We installed the floor a year ago and love it. We are planning on installing the Ruby collection Monterey in our new home.

• Emily R.

Our landlord just installed Topaz Manhattan -- I think this is the mid-range line; 20-mil wear layer -- in our house in January. I'm really happy with it so far, although granted... it replaced some truly horrendous wall-to-wall carpeting that had seen its day before it was introduced to my three kids and all their neighborhood friends. :P It looks pretty natural -- it definitely does not scream "I'm vinyl!" -- and it sweeps up nicely. The Manhattan has a warmer tone than some of the greys -- brown/taupe.

It *is* harder on my feet than the carpet was, and I wear slippers in the house all the time now (we are a no-shoes-inside family). And if you're paying for it yourself and care a little more than I did ;) I recommend being there for installation and being picky about where they install which plank, to avoid obviously repeated patterns.

I also would like to know about the steam mop question -- I've been too nervous to use mine (we had roll-out linoleum in the dining room/kitchen before), but I feel like it should be OK. Anyone tried yet?

• Alexis Payne
    Does anybody have the gemcore Oxnard color from the onyx line installed?
  • janee_callaghan

I have put the gem core ruby down - love. Scuffs and scratches can be filled in with a furniture marker. Works like magic.

• Robert Arbitter
    I’m having the Gemcore Onyx Arroyo installed in my condo. The flooring looks good. My installer likes the product.

I read the care instructions and it mentions using a vinyl cleaner and cleaning the cleaner residue with a damp mop. I also read the no microfiber comment in the care instructions. So what products are people using to clean their floors?
  • janee_callaghan

We have the floor in two homes. Just put in the Ruby collection. It does scuff - this product scuffs more than the lighter one previously used. However the scuffs are easily taken care of with Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker

• yvette_garcia62
    Jexo can you give us an update as to how you’re liking your floors so far? Trying to decide between Republic and GemCore too. Also, what color is your SPC?
  • jaxo
    last year
    last modified: last year

The floors are still fine. I’m still looking for cleaning info.

They recommended using Rejuvenate floor cleaner. I tried it and it left a sticky film on the floor.

This is why I want to us a steam mop instead.

Has anyone tried it? I can’t see why a floor rated for floods and heat can be damaged by a steam mop.

What other cleaning methods work on this flooring that leave zero residue?

The Rejuvenate bottle literally says “Residue and streak free” on the label but that’s a lie.

• janee_callaghan
    last year

I use a simple mixture of vinegar and water and my floors always look great. I absolutely love the Gemcore floors.

last year

I am an owner of a large flooring company. We are looking at using this product with all of our builders. However, the fact that it scratches and scuffs is really concerning. With over 45 years in this business, vinyl surfaces of any type will continue to scratch and scuff. There are only two products that I know of that won't scratch or scuff. Revwood products by Mohawk and ceramic tile. The big selling point on Gemcore is that it is water proof and it will not move. Most floating floors will expand and contract depending on the temperature and the humidity. In the winter months the floor contracts, so you see gapping. In the summer months they expand so you see end joints that will pop up. Gemcore is 70% stone......so it does not expand or contract. For the lady that had scratches in her floor, your flooring contractor should come our and replace those pieces that have been damaged. I am guessing that they put your appliances back in place.

floating floors are easily repaired. I hope this helps. Most floors can scratch. That doesn't mean they aren't good floors. But! For the money you spent you could probably have had a wood floor installed in your house.

• T H
    last year

My installer said he couldn't replace the scraped plank, and we felt that over time we wouldn't notice it. That has definitely been true. I was upset at first but don't even see it anymore. It's been almost a year and it has overall held up great and looks fantastic. It cleans up nicely. I have no regrets over choosing it!

• T H
    last year

Just realized that it has been almost 2 years, not one year. :-)

• Jenny

what color did you install? @jaxo

• jaxo

Ruby Palisade.

• Lindsey Graves

we just installed onyx cornell color and already have scratches from our bar stools. What is going on!! Paid a ton of money and they scratch super easy??!!!

• Patrick Zabala

HU-652825232 Thank You for your input, curious why you feel gemcoat is the same cost as a wood floor?

• Sandra Aldana

Lindsey Graves, have you gotten any resolution? We want Onyx Cornell too. disap to hear it’s scratched with your stools. We ha e stools too.

• idam

I have this flooring in my business in Del Mar California it is only one year old and it has buckled in three places and the seams are not tight on it so the glue seeps up in between the joints every time it gets wet at all ? I would not suggest this flooring. I’ve tried to put in a warranty claim and no one from the company has responded after several call over several weeks, terrible customer service!

• T H

I am surprised at all of the problems as we have not had any of these issues in almost 3 years of use. I have used Rejuvenate vinyl floor cleaner several times and that has helped keep it newer looking (especially where chairs scrape). Our floor still looks great and I am happy that we got it - and I hope it will last for many more years. I am disappointed at the complaints about customer service, though. There is no excuse for not responding to problems!

We installed the Gemcore Jade collection throughout our remodeled home. The planks that are installed next to the southern facing sliding glass doors all warped, cupped and buckled. Also, the floor is getting badly scuffed from a chair. The videos on the website pitch the product as being heat resistant and pet scratch resistant. So, why has the product not performed as promoted? The retailer is being responsive, but Gemcore is MIA. It seems what Gemcore promotes to the public, and upon which we relied, is not what we received from Gemcore. Do others have these issues?

• T H

I'm sorry to hear about the poor customer service. I am watching a couple of areas but so far not having any issues as bad as you describe.

• Evie Taylor

I had GemCore Laguna installed all throughout my home 2 1/2 years ago - except for my bathrooms and entryway. I've been very happy with it. Even our dog didn't scuff it. Nice product!

• T H

I wonder if you got a bad batch or had a poor installation...I never noticed anything like that.

• Suzannah Bates

Does anyone have a picture of Gemcore’s Onyx collection in the color Oxnard?