Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hartntex

lighting dilemma

hartntex
6 years ago

trying to wrap up our project next week. Decorator suggested that I used all three Darlena pendant lights (see above island) in lieu of mixing with the two SN fixtures at window areas. The light reflected from them is very different and I'm afraid that three lanterns might be too much in one space.. The ones in front of windows have warmer bulbs in the them vs. the pendant. Suggestions? Leave the way it is?

Comments (12)

• amykath
    6 years ago

I really like it the way it is. I think using the lantern pendant in all three places would be overkill. I love the two smaller ones! Beautiful kitchen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

That lantern is way too big for the space and the placement makes no sense, I never like warm light in a kitchen and IMO those pendants will never provide enough light .I would do a close to the ceiling light where the lantern is with good LED bulbs and change those pendant bulbs to 3500 - 5000 K LEDs

• hartntex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@patriciacolwellconsulting. Could you provide me with an example of a fixture that may be better over island?

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

The lantern is too large, and because of that bulkhead it looks more like it's over the stove than the island. I like the pendant over the sink but then the second one is just in the middle of nowhere and makes no sense. They also don't seem to be giving off enough lighting so I think you need to rethink the whole lighting plan (unless theres some recessed we're not seeing)

• hartntex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

would you replace the lantern with a can light?

does this not make sense to match with the one over sink? I'm willing to change everything at this point just need to make some decisions prior to the electrician returning in a week. I'm getting conflicting opinions from two different "decorators" who obviously don't have lighting experience!

• C W
    6 years ago

I would not do 3 Darlana pendants. Would be overkill. Maybe do 3 of the light you have over your sink? But with a cooler bulb. I don't like the warm lighting in your kitchen. I see this question was posed a week ago. Do you have an update? Love the space

• hartntex
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@C W thx - I have not found suitable bulbs for the pendants in front of windows and am still on a search - someone suggested 1000Bulbs.com and I will check with them tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should remove the Darlena lantern altogether and add a recessed can light over the small work space? Electrician not returning until another fixture comes in for adjacent room so this has yet to be resolved. Something is not right about space although I know I won't do three lanterns in this small kitchen - agree it would be too much. Surprised a decorator would even have suggested this in the first place.

• PRO
    Napanee Design Ltd.
    6 years ago

The 3 Darlena pendants could look great over a very large island. However, with the way the space is already designed it may look a bit odd/arbitrary to have 3 of them in different places like that. I would even suggest to just have the other 2 pendants be directional recessed lighting instead as the placements of these pendants makes the lighting seem to clash with each other.

• Adam Calabrese
    6 years ago

My assumption is that the Darlana over the island (peninsula) is the big lantern like pendent.

I would not replace the pendants over the sink and counter with that big lantern like light. It will look bad in the space because it is too big, and it gives the absolute wrong kind of light in that space. And as your follow up photos show, you have some decent recessed lighting in the kitchen.

For the pendants over the sink and counter, you need good down light task lighting. If the existing ones work and you like them, then keep them. Ask the dishwasher and the food preparer if there is enough good light over the sink. As the main dishwasher in our house, I want good light at the sink, especially when washing sharps or trying to determine if all of the baked on gunk is removed from casseroles that won't fit in the dishwasher.

I personally would replace that lantern light over the counter with something that had more down lighting. But I don't really like the style of that light. If *you* like it and don't need more down lighting over the peninsula, then you should keep it.

I see I'm 4 days late on this thread. Gosh, I hope you did not put Darlana lantern lights over the sink and counter.

• hartntex
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

no @AdamCalabrase I didn't use 3 of the larger pendants which I knew was overkill when suggested. I have plenty of cans and under counter lighting so these are other pendants/lantern are more decorative than practical. After 9 mos. being without a kitchen we just got our plumbing installed yesterday!

• Adam Calabrese
    6 years ago

Yay! Looking back over the thread again, I see you implied above that you would not use multiple lanterns.

My advice remains the same - keep the pendants over sink and counter if they serve the purpose of task lighting and you like them. Even with photos, it's hard to tell if you need the ambient lighting provided by these pendants - but the junction boxes are located for task lighting at the sink and counter.

If there was money available and you don't need the up and side lighting provided by the existing pendants, I would personally replace them with a better down-lighting pendant, maybe one with a colored glass lamp. IMO you have way too much white going on in there, but I realize that you may prefer to keep it like that :) Look at the offerings here (filter at the top for line voltage after clicking the link) http://www.techlighting.com/Products/Fixtures/Pendants. Tech is expensive, but good quality and unique. If nothing else, it will give you ideas.

Keep the Darlana if you like it, or replace with something that gives both ambient lighting and better down/task lighting over the peninsula if you need it there.

We finished remodel of our 1982 era kitchen in 1/2017, so I understand your excitement in getting the plumbing and lighting done. Our lighting was challenging in our working triangle due to a cove and a vaulted ceiling (arcitectural elements that we did not change). One component was some low voltage Tech track lighting, and that proved wise, as we ended up having to add 2 heads to provide enough task/ambient lighting. You can see the edge of the track lighting above the island in a couple of photos here:

http://www.genaybellinteriors.com/lkforest-pk-kitchen