Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_arjani

Living Room drapes.....time warp 1989!

Anne Arjani
10 years ago
I have a large, traditional, living room, last updated in 1990. There are MANY windows, and intense sunlight requires light blocking draperies.
How to control costs when you need so many yards of fabric?
I am considering gold, taupe, or a more modern design for the drapes. Wall color might change to ice blue, but cannot redo upholstery at this time. I have "British Raj" antiques in the room.

Comments (64)

• housemamma
    10 years ago
    Do you even need drapes? The windows and view are so beautiful that drapes are not needed. Like others have said, I would remove the drapes and focus on updating furniture.
  • smittycdm
    10 years ago
    Without some kind of window covering, at night, the windows look like black holes, I know from experience. Also, it's amazing (and obvious, now that I write this) how much quieter/softer a room is w/some kind of window treatment. Also seems to "complete the look." (I'm gazing at bare windows & French doors in Kit & FamRm sans your great view...)
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    What wonderful windows and view you have. You couldn't pay me to cover them, but if you must, treat this space like a sunroom, which it certainly must be in many ways. Simple roman shades to close at night and open for the sun and view would be a solution. I'd prefer to spend the money on restyling the furnishings, as they area also very 1990. That's 18 years out of style!
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-elements-of-the-perfect-sunroom-stsetivw-vs~9649662
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Yes, UVA film on windows. But sun is so intense I still have some fabric fading. I NEED drapes. I live in a Mediterranean climate in the SF bay area. It can get toasty. I don't like AC because I am an asthmatic, even though we have it. We use the drapes as a form of passive solar energy management, and we don't need them for privacy, so they are closed in the morning, and opened at late afternoon for cool and fresh evening air. My AC bill alone would be in excess of $1800 per month if I did not use drapes.
    I am moving in the direction of restyling furniture first.. This was a great insightful comment, along with editing out some of the rugs.
    I am married to an East Indian....and their aesthetic is different from ours. They have a very high tolerance and appreciation for pattern on pattern, and design on design.....pretty much everywhere....along with a riotous use of color.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    That makes me smile. I'm sort of surprised your home doesn't have a more ethnic influence which would be interesting.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    leelee, this might come as a surprise to you...but for 23 years I have not liked what I had going here. However, no one except me ever sees the drapes drawn, as they are used only in the morning. Other aspects of my life are so incredibly wonderful that in perspective....how my living room is decorated is less important than you might think. I know this is a shocking revelation for Houzz users.....
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    May be coming to visit my son in SF this summer, if you'd like a shopping buddy! lol Your priorities are right. You'd be surprised at some of Houzzers' priorities too. Hey, we're all having fun and enjoying life, no?
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I get it and you're so right. Easy to lose sight of what's really important. : ) But it's your home, too and you want your nest to be pleasing to you both. Surely there's a compromise.
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    @Anne Arjani. You have a beautiful room to work with. Will you post photos when your project is complete?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Because of the immense cost of fabric, would you consider Roman shades?
    Roman shades lined with a sun block/thermal fabric would greatly reduce the yardage required.

I would choose a linen in a buttery gold.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    You might like Ripplefold draperies better than grommet top. They can be made in different fullnesses which allows you to control the amount of fabric needed and the stackback space required. https://www.houzz.com/photos/ripplefold-phbr0lbl-bl~l_81282
    Master bedroom · More Info
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Omg. Change out drapes. Never use a big print on this many windows. Also you have too many prints going on in this room. Windows are like a piece of art. You are so lucky to have so many beautiful windows. Put floor to ceiling panels in a solid color on ends of window, and in middle. On actual window put pleated shades that can be put out of site, when not needed. Lowe's carry these in stock and will cut to size for free. Buy in white. Panels should be close to wall color. Painting room would help too. You have a country look going. I would paint a soft yellow. Get sample of paint and put on wall to see right color for yr room. Enjoy the view.
  • User
    10 years ago
    This is British Colonial.

The mixing of patterns ~ florals, plaids, stripes - is a hallmark of the design style and is true to the period.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Anne Arjani,

I agree with you completely and consider it a very healthy view of interior design.

Incidentally, you might want to consider selling that vintage fabric
    used in your drapes on etsy.

Recycling benefits everyone!
  • Vivian
    10 years ago
    I think that the one thing that is missing in your British Colonial is that your furniture has a skirt and they used legs that show. The prints do not touch and gives the eye a break. Unlike others, I would not go with a real sold color but with a navy blue or gold Damask. I think that too plain will just draw attention to the fabrics. I love East Indian decor with all the color and pattern but they do tend to use some smaller patterns. You need the richness of some gold and you do not have dark wood pieces mixed with your upholstery to break up the eye. Could you possible slip cover the furniture in something more traditionally for your husband but that appears to be more solid when you enter the room? I would stay away from the ice blue paint and go with something that compliments the rugs because they are going to last forever. You have so little wall space, dark is smart and current and the white columns and woodwork will be outstanding.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. YOU UNDERSTAND!
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Aja and Vivm2007: THANK YOU! Brilliant suggestions.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Rearrange yr furn. Two black chair by firepl. Move to in front of bay window, with small table between. Then move area rug closer to firepl center in room. Place furn. To face firepl.
  • User
    10 years ago
    May I know if those are Agra rugs?

They are beautiful, indeed!
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Houzzers for so many insightful, and often kind comments: Here is the plan: Couch will be recovered in one color, no skirt, dark wood "Raj" feet on sofa base. In the round window, valences will be removed. Gold fabric for the drapes, but still considering other fabrics/colors. BTW, this calls for 180 yards of fabric. Just want to remind everyone that light blocking is mission critical due to intense morning sunlight up to 1:00pm, which is why we have the very traditional drapes.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry about the same images.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Etzia, will post photos when I am finished.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Will definitely take AjaMazin's advice to sell fabric on Etsy.
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    I like what decoenthusiastesuggested. But for me, I'm not into Roman shades, I tend to like the honeycomb shades using the top up bottom down option. That way you can choose a shade that will either block light more, or less... your choice and still have privacy on the bottom half and allow light on the top half. We have them in all our upstairs bedrooms, kitchen, and finally a couple months ago, in our family room. I think I got them from blinds.com
  • lionnessone
    10 years ago
    How about something like this?

[houzz=
    Master Bedroom and Bathroom · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Portfolio · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Restyled Home · More Info
    ]
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Agree diyher, I have shades in the rest of my home....adore them This room: twice daily....minimum, this would require raising and lowering 13 separate shades. takes more time than drapes.Then, when you use them as intensely as we do, and some of the spans are pretty large.....then they need recording about every 18mo. to 2 yrs on the wide spans. Enjoy my shades in the rest of the home, but will stay traditional in this room, as it is the only formal space.
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    10 years ago
    I mentioned ripple fold earlier and asked if your curtain header is hidden in a track under that molding. If so, you could use much less fabric with a ripplefold application and still get a traditional drapery look. Do you need to use blackout lining too? Your designer should be able to get pricing on that amount of yardage. Can't wait to see the new look.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Great plan!

That rug is gorgeous and either the gold or light blue fabric are exceptional choices.

Will the drapery be lined?
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Silhouette blinds with remote for closing.
    Filter light or can close vanes for more privacy all with remote.
    :)
  • xman1
    10 years ago
    i like the idea of silouettes but if u destroy your beautiful colonial home with grommet shower curtain drapes..U GOTTA B CRAZY.. as a traditionalist designer, i have to say your room is fabulous with the drapes pulled as flanking panels! leave them that way! save some cash
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    No grommets, please!
  • Xiosin
    10 years ago
    Love your space and the "riot of colors", I love the decorating style coming from the East, I also live in sf Florida my home has walls of windows facing the river on the south. We opted for uv film in stead of drapes but I fully understand your energy cost concerns. Please keep the ethnic influence while making changes.
  • changingwoman
    10 years ago
    What about white shutters? The room is gorgeous, by the way. Shutters would serve as a neutral background and you could add gold sheers for color. An ethnic fabric on a wide valence picking up the colors in the rugs might look nice. The shutters can be closed or opened as needed. There are also fabric etc blinds that are top-down, bottom up which allow you to leave the upper or lower part of the windows uncovered. I sometimes use mine right in the middle where the evening sun hits, yet still have a view of the waterfall in the pond and pergola outside.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love Silhouettes, but room desires traditional, promise not Grommets, lining for sun....a must!
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So, as I was imagining things, I pointed out to my adorable husband that if we remove the drapes, this is a great opportunity to paint. He agreed. So, I think paint might be the "pacing item", then drapes, then couch.....
    I am OPEN to color suggestions!
  • changingwoman
    10 years ago
    Anne, check out this site before you choose paint and drapes. It might make a difference in your heat/light problems and also affect the colors you choose. http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/windows/shades_awnings.html
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks changingwoman......When a home is designed around spectacular city views....sometimes sacrifices are made regarding energy efficiency. Awnings, overhangs etc...compromise views. Previous home had an 8' overhang obscuring the views.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like this coral and green combo....like everything.
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    RE: I pointed out to my adorable husband that if we remove the drapes, this is a great opportunity to paint. He agreed

I had to laugh when I saw that :) I had to replace my drapes because one of them ripped, so as long as we had to get drapes, I too said to my husband, now is the time to paint :)

Is the color of the wall with the fireplace and blue/white vases one of the colors you are thinking? That looks very similar to my color wall, we too have a lot of natural light in our room, just not as high windows
  • changingwoman
    10 years ago
    Yes, it is the same, I think. The blue/white stuff is a cobalt /navy shade on white. Very pretty and a lot of porcelain is available in it from lamps to dishes to knick-knacks. Anne, I agree with the coral and green...beautiful also. What weneed are houses with loths of rooms so we can do them all differently! But then we would have that much more to clean...still fun to design, though.
  • changingwoman
    10 years ago
    G
  • changingwoman
    10 years ago
    Go to the Benjamin Moore site on line. They allow you to play with the colors and see them in a room. I did not know there were so many shades of Navy. Fun to play with all the colors! http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/newprovidencenavy
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you diyher and changingwoman. BenjaminM here i come.....YES! I am thinking of the color of the wall over fireplace with the blue vases. Interestingly, this is grass-cloth, so there may be more "depth" in the material.
  • msubreeze
    10 years ago
    I don't like intense sun, so I have done a couple things. One is using roller shades like you see in some restaurants that you see through, but really diffuse light. I used in my son's room with functioning draperies that now just close at night. Also used sort of a more modern "Sheer" drapery in my husband's den. It is a more open weave and still diffuses the sun. I have seen similar fabric lined in a transparent solid of the same color and that probably works even better. I like to see the world outside the room and these are two ways you are still able to. Lastly, I do love the French look, so I use a simple "lace" drapery that opens and shuts in my kitchen. Lets light in, but not harsh and actually keeps it warmer in the winter. Looks like a beautiful room!
    Anne Arjani thanked msubreeze
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    msubreeze: I believe in working with a pro....scope of project is "too large to fail...." and when it comes to design....this is a great investment.
  • Anne Arjani
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pamela Sandall: THANK YOU for your advice...still working with a pro.
  • PRO
    Pamela Sandall Design
    10 years ago
    Hi Anne...got a notification from HOUZZ on this just today...not sure why, but since it's been six months...are your new drapes up?? Would be fun to see :).
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    The room takes on an entirely different look when you can see the beautiful architectural features in the ceilings and windows! The view is amazing! Too much going on in this room, think lighter, not heavy!
  • pcvanrobaeys
    10 years ago
    Keep in mind all windows don't need to be dressed the same. With so many windows changing it up a bit between drapes and blinds would be more interesting. Your transoms are beautiful and I hate to cover them. However it looks like you are able to hide hardware in the crown moulding. Why not install roller blinds just for the transoms, shorter length, and pull them only when needed. Roller blinds have come long way and come in beautiful fabrics now. In your bow nix the valance and do only drapes you can pull from the sides. The rest of the windows do room darking blinds such as hunter Douglas silhouettes. You shut them completely or have them set so the light is filtering, or completely open. You could do these as well for the transoms rather than the rollers and use only when needed. These blinds still have the fabric softness but all the benefits of a blind. Go neutral This will really update your room. I used to sell window coverings and just love them. Since you need so many shop around for pricing and a good deal. They will make a good profit on a room like this so should be able to give you a competitive price.