Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njh149

white Cabinets, White Walls

njh149
6 years ago
- Can cabinets be the same shade of white as the walls?

We’re renovating our house (to sell within this year). We’re painting the walls white. But, we’re also painting the custom cabinets that were installed white too. The kitchen has to be white because the living room for certain will be, and one wall in the kitchen wraps around and goes into the living room. So painting the kitchen a color different from the living room would be a bit odd.
** Question **
Is it weird if the cabinets and walls are the same color white? Is it weird if they aren’t? Which is preferred? Should they be different finishes? (Same for vanities in the bathroom.)
The plan had been to use a warm white for the whole house, trim, walls, bathroom vanities, all of it. But I’m not sure if the cabinets/ vanities should be a different shade of white? And if so, should the trim be the same white as the cabinets/vanities? We’ve also had a hard time coordinating whites. (A white for the walls, plus maybe an extra white for vanities/cabinets/trim, plus the white subway tile & grout for the kitchen backsplash/baths/counters, bathroom floors, bathroom sinks/tubs... etc. this is hard!)

Comments (8)

• njh149
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    So you don’t like that your walls and cabinets differ?

Benjamin Moore is a bit harder to get where we live. I have had Home Depot match that color before for a sample but they don’t match colors consistently enough right now to do a color match for all the paint.
    Which means we’ll probably go with Behr paints just because they’re the easiest to get locally. We also tried Sherwin Williams (which is also local) but I found most of their colors to be a bit to grey and shadowy.
    Our current front runner is Behr Spun Cotton but I’m afraid that it’s *too* warm for the white subway tile and floor tile in the bathrooms (and the subway tile that will be in the kitchen). Spun Cotton was sort of equivalent to BM Mountain Peak.
  • C W
    6 years ago
    If you’re renovating to sell you can really do whatever you want and people probably won’t notice or care. Also you can get any BM color mixed for you at Home Depot the formulas are in their system. I wouldn’t recommend painting everything that warm white.
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Same color for walls, cabinets and trim is fine you will change the sheen. We did all walls and trim in BM distant grey.
  • Lara Branen
    6 years ago

Recently saw kitchen cabinets and walls in BM White Dove in House Beautiful and it looked great. So think Diane is right that because the sheen is different it won't look exactly the same plus white on white is actually fine right now from everything I've been seeing. In response to CW I don't think it's true that people won't notice or care about the paint if you're selling. I'd say the opposite - if you're painting to sell you might want to consult a stager.

• fireflyspecialevents
    6 years ago

is their a reason you want the whole house white? I think a light warm gray color like SW city loft will make the trim and cabinets (features buyers want to notice) pop

• L Leetham
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We just (today) selected Behr Spun Wool for the walls in our kitchen, dining, living, family room and hallway, with plans for BM White Dove (mixed by Home Depot, since we don't have easy access to Benjamin Moore here) for new custom kitchen cabinets, ceiling and trim throughout. Its not all in yet but we painted some pretty big sections on different walls and a lot of different whites and off-white variations to sample. It looks like its going to be beautiful, doesn't come across very warm, just enough to not be grey.

• L Leetham
    6 years ago

njh149, Just realized you said Spun Cotton, not Spun Wool, the color I was talking about. We were also looking at Cotton Knit, which is much warmer. I have way too many paint names in my head right now, apparently all running together! Curious, what did you send up doing?