Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewjagor

Large Kitchen vs. Large Living Room - Remodel Design Dilemma

generals1992
6 years ago
All,

I have posted here a few times, but wanted to get feedback from you guys one more time as I prepare to remodel my tri-level ranch. I have a contractor and architect lined up with plans in the works. I have already determined the cost of each respective alternative. I purely want y’all’s opinion from a design/flow perspective.

I’ve posted a picture that I found online that roughly shows my current floor plan. Mine is similar to this, with the exception being that my living room is actually longer, and the dining room shorter.

Option A:
Move kitchen to existing dining space with cabinet wall along garage space to have ovens, cooktop, refrigerator, and pantry. I would put an Island with a sink in it and bar seating across from that (around where the existing living room/dining room and kitchen/den walls are). I would also Eliminate the wall between existing living/family rooms. I would Use living as new dining room and keep den where it is (that’s really the only “have to” as the fireplace is along the rear wall in that room). I would put storage space and a wet bar along the rear wall of the existing kitchen, creating a longer, open kitchen/bar space. This would make the existing den about 1-2’ longer.

My concern with this plan is whether or not the extra space from removing the wall between the 11’ deep family room and the 14’ deep existing living room (so ~25’ deep when combined) will allow room for a sectional as well as the dining room table. I think the answer here is yes, but it’s hard to visualize without seeing it in person.

Obviously, the pro for me here is the larger kitchen. I love to entertain, and have found that people often congregate in the kitchen area. Having a large island, plenty of cooking area, and a spacious bar area is extremely appealing to me as large groups will be able to gather here.

Option B: remove existing wall between living/family rooms to create one long family room with room for a sectional and another seating area along the window in the front of the house. Keep existing kitchen footprint and rework to have island with a cooktop in it. Open up doorway between kitchen and dining and leave dining room in existing space.

Thoughts:
Again, having a big kitchen with all of the appliances and space I could ever want is a huge plus for me as I love to cook and entertain. But I also don’t want the rest of the house to feel cramped. The existing living room is always empty when I entertain, with people choosing to cram themselves into my den, so I figure that with the wall out, I’ll still have a much larger living space anyways and room for my dining room table. That said, the thought of having a cavernous living room with multiple seating options is attractive as well.

What’s more important - the bigger kitchen or the bigger living room?

See attached for the following:
- a rough sketch of my floor plan
- a picture of a neighbors house just like mine that chose to leave kitchen in same footprint (mine would extend into dining area under Option A)
- a picture of my existing den space
- a picture of my existing living and dining room spaces

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So I have a media room in my walk out so the T.V is not in my main living space. In our house we have a large LR and a large kitchen where BTW everyone hangs out . We entertain a lot and I would never give up my kitchen or my nice big LR My LR 15, 25 I replaced the old kitchen with my DR and used the old huge DR for my new kitchen . I think you need to have an interior designer into the mix since IMO architects are rarely good at kitchen or other interior designs. My DR holds 10 very easily and with a bit of juggling of a piano I can seat 24 with the additon of another table .These pics are what we did.We have mutiple pieces in the LR that can be arranged in many different ways and our guests go into the LR once I start finalizing dinner.

• generals1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Patricia, you have a good point. I think I will definitely want to consult a designer to get their perspective from an aesthetics/space usage mindset.

I do have a large media room in the lower level where my big screen is, so I figure if I ever have a large group to watch a game, etc., that is likely where I will need the most seating. The upstairs could then be used more generally for entertaining. My dining table seats 10 and moving it into living area would allow me to add chairs on either end. The addition of a 9-10’ Island would add seating as well.

At worst, the family in its current footprint could snugly fit a ~6-7 person sectional and a chair. I think with an additional ~2-3’ feet in length and width, I should easily be able to fit a sectional in there as well as 1-2 accent chairs. Plus if I’m entertaining there would be plenty of space to gather at the end of the kitchen where the new bar would be.

These pictures are not by any means exactly what I would do (I used a trial version and stock colors/cabinets), but should help give a sense of layout.
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

I would definitely go for a larger kitchen, and "cavernous" is never what I would recommend for anyone who doesn't have a family of 12. You've already seen where people like to congregate - obviously spaciousness isn't their main concern.

• generals1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Toronto. Again, nothing would be “cavernous,” but it’s all relative. It feels like I’m taking up half the living space for the kitchen, but technically it’s only about a third - it will just be narrower than it is now.

I think that feels like the obvious solution, even at the expense of sacrificing some living space.
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

its good to plan how to have entertaining space, but its good to like your space the other 25 days of the month. make sure you have daily shelter from the constant hum of the refrigerator and the roar of the fan that cools the oven electronics, and the vent hood.

i have an open plan vacation home, traditionally arranged residence, so i know what both are like. honestly when i'm doing something other than making a pot of corn and grilling on the deck at the vacation house, the kitchen noises make me crazy.

as far as where people congregate, they congregate where the food and drinks are, and where their hosts are, and perhaps where they dont feel like they'll spill red wine and ruin some furniture. i had a big party where nothing was in the kitchen, including me, and not a soul went in.