Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhp98

Cabinet maker suggestions - rift cut walnut, grain matched slab doors

Nina Patz
16 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

I'm looking for help on which cabinet manufacturers to consider... I really like the clean, modern look of rift cut, grain matched oak cabinets that I've seen on Houzz. I want a warmer wood like walnut but with the rift cut finish and grain matching instead of the busy, piecey look of walnut. I found out that my cabinet person's recommendation was a brand that no one has heard of and has bad reviews plus I would be paying big bucks for a laminate finish over MDF. The other alternative I have is Omega Cabinets but apparently they don't do grain matching and possible not rift cut walnut.

Photo below - the inspiration for my kitchen cabinets...

So ....

1. I'm wondering if the modern while oak cabinets (rift cut, grain matched) I've been admiring are really laminate over MDF instead of real wood and it is indeed expensive? I feel conflicted about spending $$$ for something that isn't real wood.

2. Are there reputable, established companies that have a walnut option for European cabinet doors and do walnut - rift cut, grain matched European cabinets doors?

3. Omega Cabinets does in fact do grain matching and I'm just not aware of it.

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• akrogirl32
    16 days ago

I love the Bulthaup b2 line, that comes in both white oak and walnut, but it is not cheap and I am not sure if that is exactly what you are looking for. That will be in my dream kitchen.

Nina Patz thanked akrogirl32
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    16 days ago

The laminate will have perfect grain matching, color, and will out perform the real thing more inexpensively.

Nina Patz thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Minardi
    16 days ago

Veneering is done over MDF or HDF for smoothness and stability. As is laminate and foils. Laminate or foils are the same every time. None of those "grows on different trees" problems of having an off color, or off grain. It's also far more durable. Most of the rest of the world look at the superior function, with predictable form. They are not hung up on the silly "all wood" anything.

Now, if you can afford a couple of hundred thousand for super high end grain matching for a kitchen that never really gets used, more power to you, and you should check out Linear Fine Woodworking. But, a couple of hundred thousand is where their projects start. Not end.

" Let’s start by destroying a myth. Wood veneer is not merely an inexpensive alternative to solid wood construction. Building from solid wood is not only prohibitively expensive, but will invariably result in an unstable piece of furniture susceptible to the effects of climate, age, and the propensity for wood to move, split and warp over time. Not suitable for an heirloom buffet or a custom bedroom set. Laying veneer over a substrate of MDF (medium density fiberboard) or furniture-grade particleboard ensures stability and protects the beauty and value of custom furniture for many, many years. Solid wood may be used for details and accents, but for cabinets, architectural millwork, and wall units the best material is high-quality wood veneer."

Nina Patz thanked Minardi
  • AnnKH
    16 days ago

My parents built a house in 1977. The building contractor also made the cabinets - not just the kitchen, but bathroom vanities, wet bar, built-in shelves, and built-in drawers in all the bedrooms. Everything was grain matched oak.

I just noticed that the bottom two drawers are swapped

Nina Patz thanked AnnKH
  • PRO
    Minardi
    16 days ago

^^ That's basic off the shelf oak plywood. Because plywood cabinets were the thing at the time.

• Monique
    16 days ago

Plywood with the ”French Provincial” routing pattern. Wayback groovy.

• AnnKH
    16 days ago

Tell me your house was built in 1977 without telling me it was built in '77...

The door pulls were pretty funky too. But I always appreciated that he matched the grain on every single cabinet.

• bry911
    16 days ago

Most of the rest of the world look at the superior function, with predictable form. They are not hung up on the silly "all wood" anything.

As I have repeatedly noted, this is misleading. European MDF was developed as a substitute for quality Baltic Birch plywood, as Europe lost access to good quality plywood during the Cold War. So the MDF developed in Europe tends to be higher quality MDF and for a time almost exclusively used melamine coated particles. You could quite literally build a decent boat out of the stuff.

The U.S. never had a shortage of plywood and our MDF was developed specifically for its cost advantages. This led to a significantly lower quality in the USA. Arguably, our quality has increased a bit, and European quality has been reduced somewhat, but our MDF is still generally much worse than Europe's.

I am not sure what part of the "rest of the world" you have lived in, but as someone who has spent a good portion of their life as an expat, I can assure you that most of the world is just as "hung up" on the silly all wood everything. There are certainly a few high-end, high-visibility brands that use MDF and are looked at favorably... but there is a reason that American companies have the lion's share of the European market.