Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sima_hasher

Please help with master shower remodel and tile selection!

Sima Hasher
6 years ago

I am having trouble posting with pictures. Will add them to the comments.

Wow, I love this forum. Thanks to everyone who puts forth so much help to those in need! I am working on a complete master shower remodel. It’s completely torn out and awaiting a contractor to put it back together. I have solicited a bunch of contractors and will be trying to pick one soon. In the meantime I have a few other things to figure out and would love some advice.

My inspiration room: https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-ottawa-phvw-vp~11292367

The shower is 6’6” X 9 X 10’ high. Tile will go to the ceiling (but not on the ceiling). I want to use as much large format tile as possible to reduce the grout lines.

Anyway here are my questions:

To curb or not to curb? My house is on TJI’s and therefore would require a tremendous amount of demo, plumbing and structural revisions to lower the floor enough to have zero transition. Is there another way of doing this that I should look into? FWIW, I am fine with having a curb because I plan to add glass to it later. I know that curbless is huge now and want to make sure I cover my bases.

Window? While I have the bathroom torn apart. It occured to me that I could enlarge our bathroom window very inexpensively. $329 for the window and another couple in misc.supplies, and a day worth of work, I could have it done. Our view out the front is wooded and private. It’s the north side of the house, so not a ton of extra light, but I feel it would be a nice addition for the small investment. I’ve attached a couple of drawings showing the options.

See comments.

Comments (15)

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Potential window options....

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago
      • Tile Choice? I really like the MSI Gris 12X24 from Home Depot and I love the price. I think the color works very well with the remainder of the bathroom. Unfortunately I am not super impressed with the quality of the tile. They aren’t rectified and I worry that this will affect the final product. Another, very similar option is the Strands by Emser. It’s about $2/SF more expensive, but it is rectified, thicker, and seems to be much higher quality. Though, they recommend a 3/16 min grout line (instead of ⅛” from MSI) which I think is a downside. So, do I keep looking? Stick with MSI or Emser?
      • Emser left, MSI right
    • Grout and lines: I feel like I want the grout to disappear more than pop. Many of the darker showers I see have a bright gray that I feel takes away from the entire look. So, my thought is to use the minimum recommended grout line and use a grout that matches the darker tone of the tile. Does this make sense or am I making a huge black hole? And shouldn’t the Emser tiles be allowed to be closer together because they are rectified?
      • Grout: I think I want a “never needs to be sealed” style grout. With small grout lines and large format tile in a shower, what is the industry thought on this?
  • Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    1. Tile layout? I really think that the stacked horizontal works best. Any opinions on this?
      • Sorry, poor scan.
    • Tile edges? I don’t want to use bullnose tile. I’ve had several of the installers say that they could polish the edge of the tile into a finish look. With MSI tile, I don’t think it will match great. The Emser will. I’ve thought about using Schluter on the exposed edges to clean it up. I know a lot of people think it looks too industrial, but I tend to like that look. Thoughts?
      • Tile reveal? We will have a couple niches. At those, I think I want the sides and top of the niche to be covered by the field tiles. Meaning that I would like the wall tiles to just cover edges of the interior tiles. The bottom one should probably lay on top of the wall tile at the interface. Any opinions on that?
  • Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago
      • Curb? Is there a reasonably priced option to have a one piece curb top? Or am I overthinking this? I feel like a long clean surface would look best, but it’s a pretty small detail.
      • Floor tile? I want to use the 12X24 on the floor because it reduces the grout and mosaics are wicked expensive. I have a 60” linear drain that will be installed in the center of the space. I feel like the large format tiles should work in this fashion. That leaves 9” on either side to slope in. I am figuring relief cuts at 45 degrees to have the side slope.
      • Decking? I’d like to put in a teak/IPE/maybe even high end trex wood deck on the floor of the shower. With a curb on the front, this should be an easy fit to flush with the top. IPE would cost around $600. I’ve always wanted to do this and think it would look awesome. Thoughts?
  • Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    1. Tub or no tub? The space is huge. The more I look at it, the more it feels like wasted space. I’ve found a freestanding tub that I like for $700 that would fit perfectly in the space (plus a new filler spout and reusing an old valve, I figure $1K to have it). Sure, it’s close to where you shower, but I don’t think it detracts from the space. Actually I think it makes sense. We do have another tub in the house, so we don’t NEED one. Thoughts?
    • No tub scenario niche? In the no tub scenerio I want a bench across the back wall with a 2’ tall wall to wall niche on the back wall. That will require me to frame in that wall to whatever depth I want. In that niche I want to put Emser Surface Ripple Gray. I may even put LEDs in the top for effect.

• Niche requires additional framing

No niche, no framing

• Tub scenario: No niche on that back wall. Instead I use Porcelonosa Ona floor to ceiling. We have a lot of light, and I think this would really pop. I love their 3D effect and feel like it would match either of the tiles I am reviewing.

• Niche framing makes it tight....

No niche...

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago
      • Contractor? Less of a question and more of a comment. Holy crap. I solicited 13 contractors. Most of them being “tile only” contractors. I’ve received 8 written bids ranging from $6200 to $13,600 (including sales tax). That’s with me supplying the tile. Wow. I don’t trust the low guy and the high guy obviously doesn’t want the work.
      • Waterproofing? Turns out that a lot of the contractors have a slightly different view of how to do this. One (still haven’t received a bid) suggested Kerdi membrane system. Others have suggested Red Guard. Others Red Dot. Others just using plastic on the studs. I like the idea of the Kerdi, but I can’t get a quote out of the guy. I don’t even want to suggest something new to any of the others. Note that the main reason for the remodel is because our original pan failed due to poor installation. Thoughts on this?

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Using the Houzz app....

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another view of Emser (L) and MSI (R)

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bump

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

IMO you do not have space for a free standing tub. I always mention the ability to clean behind and at the ends of the tub, a big PITA even wher there is the space. As for tile I love 12 x24 porcelain tile layed in a stacked pattern and the same tile on the floor anshower walls, I do not like those pepples in a contemporay setting and wood look tiles IMO belong only where you would put real wood so not on shower walls. Go with the best tile you can find beleive me over the next ten yrs. the price difference is small.Please do not do the niche in an accent tile there is no need to draw attention to shampoo bottles IMO. A large window is something I love in a shower or tub area if there is no need for privacy.I like the idea of the teak floor but just remember it has to be able to be cleaned underneath from time to time. A small curb is not a problem and IMO the work that needs doing to go curbless is not worth it, thats the monet I would spend on good tile.I love Schluter edging in a contemporay space ans much cleaner look than bull nose which IMO always looks tacky. I like the grout on walls and floors to be as close as possible to the tile color.

• User
    6 years ago

You should be working with a knowledgeable K&B designer. And a knowledgeable contractor. You already have issues.

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Patricia, thank you for the feedback. You are probably right about the tub. With regard to the tile....Is this actually wood grained? I never saw it that way. So, maybe I am glad I asked! I felt more like is was a fabric texture than anything.

I really like the depth of these. Do you have any other suggestions? I don't want a flat black or gray.

I actually like the pebbles, which is good because we are not planning to change that out as part of this project.

• Sima Hasher
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@Sophie, I wouldn't be opposed to find a designer. Do you have a guess as to how much I might expect to pay for something like this? And where do I find one that is a reasonable cost? Everything I see is definitely in a whole different tax bracket.

Re: Contractor.....yeah, I am trying.

• User
    6 years ago

For the average middle of the road 3 piece bath costing 19K, you could expect to pay 1-2K for proper design work. It depends on how decisive you may be, and what degree of help you need.