Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgurn_joe

Right water treatment system for well water?

Joe M
6 years ago

We live in the country with well water used throughout the house. Hardness levels have been measured to be 32 grains and iron level are at 0 ppm. TDS is about 850 though. We are looking at getting a softener to remove the hardness - but don't really want to add much salt to our drinking water, make the water acidic (acid reflux issues) or to take away beneficial minerals. Question of the day is: should we add an RO unit under the kitchen sink? What impact will that have on the softened water?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• User
    6 years ago

First, a softener will not add any salt to your water. It will add sodium, two ppm for every ppm of hardness. That will increase your TDS to ~1390, but will not affect your water pH.

If you add an RO for drinking water, it will remove 92-99% of pretty much everything in your water, reducing TDS to around 100 and sodium to around 80 ppm. It will likely decrease water pH a bit because it will remove alkalinity.

You can purchase an RO system that adds minerals back to the water, but that will only increase expense with no benefit unless you prefer the taste (which is subjective).

• desibatson
    3 years ago

Alice, I also have a well. I notice you have been quite gracious with your time and expertise on this site. I have tried to research the best I can, but I am not a handy person. I am considering either a Kinetico or Aqua Ox system. I don't understand all the ins and outs of each just some of the basics. My water has compensated iron of 9 grains - manganese and iron, no bacteria, 7 for PH, and a TDS of 243, no nitrates, no tannins.

We use three bathrooms, 5 people. I know this is far from a complete picture, but would you favor one of these systems over the other and why? I have come to the end of my understanding and would so appreciate your insight.

Thank you so very much.

Desiree

• Jake The Wonderdog
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@desibatson

Her name used to be "AliceInWonderland". She was very knowledgeable about water chemistry.

She changed her name to "Alice has left the building" when she left the site.

• Stax
    3 years ago

" First, a softener will not add any salt to your water. It will add sodium, ... "

Exactly!

• Aqua Kent Singapore
    last year

Adding a RO unit under the kitchen sink is a good option for removing hardness without adding salt or removing beneficial minerals. It will further purify the softened water, ensuring your family has safe and clean drinking water.