Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoyosk

living room sliding glass doors

hoyosk
6 years ago
Bought a new townhouse. I hate the brown verticals on the sliding doors but am not sure if curtains would look awkward/ not practical due to the light switches l. Should I keep the blinds or do curtains? What should I do with the other windows as well. Please help me dress my windows.

Comments (19)

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

What is that room? What is the room above?

What is outside the sliders?

• hoyosk
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The dining table will go under the large pendant light (left) . To the right will be the living area. Outside the sliding doors is a small backyard.
  • hoyosk
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The room above the living room is a loft area. It’ll be a little library/ study area
  • teamaltese
    6 years ago
    If you need to use the switch/outlet, you simply push the soft curtain panel aside. You may be able to paint the vertical blinds.

https://m.wikihow.com/Paint-Vertical-Blinds
  • silviakunst
    6 years ago
    Looks like a GREAT space !!! Just lighten the whole thing up . You have Brownish floors , brown walls and brown blinds ...just paint the walls white , buy white blinds and leave the floor . Then you can accent with some brown if you like .
    Don't get curtains ...it's a modern LOFT feel ..so stick with blinds , easy to clean and use . Good luck !!!
  • Carol Singletary
    6 years ago
    I would hang simple panel curtains from floor to ceiling, then get Roman shades in the same (or complimentary) fabric for the other Windows. This will be a totally great space!
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    6 years ago

Perhaps adding a cornice and drapery that is wide enough to cover each door independently. SOMETHING like this...

This way the individual drapery would not cover the switches, yet the overall look would be cohesive.

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

I like the ideas above but I also feel that if you don't have to have privacy (because the backyard looks closed in with a fence, correct? ) or you don't have to control the light, I would consider doing nothing on the sliders. The verticals are outdated and not the best option.

You could create a really cool backyard feature that will bring the outside in. Like a water feature or simple fountain? Greenery.

• hoyosk
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, the backyard is enclosed. I hadn’t thought of that. We are painting tomorrow and once we decide on what we will do with the windows I’ll post updated pictures. Thank you all for the suggestions.
  • PRO
    Wayland Barns & Buildings
    6 years ago

I like Gordon's idea! I would paint the walls much lighter, ditch the vertical blinds and get drapes/curtains/window treatments (I wouldn't worry about the switches) and paint the railings in the loft white. It should really brighten up the space, which is nice and airy/open already.

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

PS. Check out window film - there are tons of options and looks and may be something you would like to consider.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I suggest doing curtains with one rod that spans both sliding doors. Then, the curtains would rest to the far right and left of the openings, meeting in the middle when fully closed. I would not give too much concern for the light switches, but this would allow easier access to them while open or closed.

Living Room · More Info

• wildcatblue
    6 years ago
    Use Plantation shutters. I have them over all my sliders in my condo and they're fabulous!
  • PRO
    Pacific Coast Drapery Manufacturing
    6 years ago

The drapery options discussed earlier are fine. Hiding the switch and wall plate behind a drapery is done all the time. If you use decorative hardware on the drape you need to have it traverse and make sure whoever manufactures and installs it adjusts the fullness of the drape as much as possible to make sure it doesn't stack too far into the door.

You can use a nite tie-back holder on the side of the door openings to make sure when the door is open the drapery doesn't go out the door.

Regarding a valance etc that works great and will fill the space between the ceiling and the top of the doors to make it look larger.

Shutters aren't your best bet here as you will either use a bypass which extends out into the room more than 8" or bi-fold which swings into the room.

Blinds and roller shades etc. work fine as well but aren't as dramatic and won't have the same effect on making the windows look bigger.

One thing for sure you will get a lot more light in the room when you remove those blinds.

• hoyosk
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These are updated pictures of the space. I liked someones suggestion of plantation shutters but not for my sliding doors. Instead, I'd like them on the rectangular windows. For the sliding doors, I am leaning more towards curtains. Now, some have suggested having one long rod. I'm liking that idea but am worried it would look odd that one side of the curtain is under a lower ceiling and the other half is under 16+ ft ceilings. also, one sliding door is in the living room while the other would fall under our dining area. Is it weird to bring these two areas together with one rod? I would really like peoples opinion on that matter. Thanks!

• Carol Singletary
    6 years ago
    Nice paint.
    I do not think having one long rod over the Windows will look weird. In fact, I suspect that will provide a better sense of continuity or flow for this wall, given the differing ceiling heights.
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Agreed - one long rod will be enhancing. Not the opposite!

• barebay57
    6 years ago

One rod hung at a height halfway between the top of the doors and the lower ceiling would look great