Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prettycityg

Help - Bedroom Furniture Placement

prettycityg
6 years ago

Hello! I recently purchased master bedroom furniture for my new home. With that said, I've decided to play with the furniture layout - going against what I think is the intend room set-up (my current layout).

My bedroom is long. I have two narrow windows on one wall (bed in-between). The opposite wall is a wall of windows with nothing in front. I've been moving my existing furniture around, trying to come up with ideas on how I am going to place my new furniture, and I think I have something that will work - but I'm just not sure about it.

The attached pictures are of my drawing, showing the current layout and the proposed layout. My biggest concern regarding the proposed layout is that the new dresser will end up being the focal point in the bedroom. I think it will be the first thing seen upon entering.

Current bedroom layout is below. The purple lines indicate windows. Also attached is a photo of the room in question, but not my furniture. This pic of the bedroom is from the previous home owners. It's the only picture I have on hand showing most of the room. My bedroom furniture layout is exactly the same as the previous homeowners.

Proposed set up pic is below. Do you think the dresser w/mirror would end up being the focal point in the room? Will the chest look odd right next to the bathroom entry?

Here's a picture of my new furniture with the headboard, media console, and a table lamp. The background color a paint color I'm considering.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are VERY MUCH appreciated. I have zero eye for design. ZERO.

Comments (9)

• Cheryl Smith
    6 years ago
    I think the best placement is the bed between the windows as in the picture. If you feel you need to change that I think the bed on the opposite wall you are proposing would be better because you should be able to see the entry from bed as a safety thing. It's also Good feng shui. It gives both people using the bed easier access to it entering the room. Placing it on the entry wall makes one person have to walk all the way around it to use it. I'm guessing you want things moved because of wanting a tv in the room set up on the wall opposite the bed. Forget the media center and place it a top of a tall dresser it will be easier to watch from bed, higher than what the console is, the reason hospitals do it.
    prettycityg thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Cheryl Smith
    6 years ago
    The bed opposite the entry also makes it the focal point as it is the most important piece of furniture in the room. If the tv console isn't too tall and would fit at the end of the bed, add a cushion as seating and use it to put things on like the extra pillows from the bed when you are sleeping if you can't return it.
    prettycityg thanked Cheryl Smith
  • prettycityg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you call for your comments! I do appreciate them.

We've had the bed in between those 2 narrow windows for the longest time now. We really just wanted to a change. It also made watching the TV a bit more difficult with the TV on the side wall like that. Those were our two main reason for wanting to move things around.

But you make a good point, Cheryl - about walking all the way around the bed. I moved the furniture we currently have around to see how it would feel and I do not like having to navigate all the way around like that.

Suzmtl, the wall of windows faces our covered back desk. Unfortunately, even though it's a west facing window, the covered back deck doesn't let much natural light shine though. And those narrow windows the opposite side of the room don't let much natural light in either. When my children were infants, I appreciated the little dark cocoon feel, but now - not so much :) Also, I tried moving the furniture around that way you suggest - with the bed on that opposite wall and my husband didn't like it. So scratch that.

I guess I'm back to the original layout, though I'm still uncertain how the TV is going to play out. Maybe I'll move the smaller/long media table from my son's room into he bedroom in front of the windows instead??

Would this look ok? (Btw, the main entry door doesn't look just like that, but it was the best I could to show the layout).

• prettycityg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh! Not sure how that picture came out so tiny!!

• Carrie B
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Going back to your earlier proposed layout - I actually like the bed on the entry wall for you for two reasons. The main reason is that, while the person who's sleeping on the far side has to go around the bed from the entrance, they'd only have to walk around the bed twice is a 24 hour period (presumably to get to bed and to get up in the morning.) If the bed is on bathroom wall, that person will have to go around the bed every time they need to go to the bathroom. Granted, that might be just once, but if s/he ever has to get up in the middle of the night to pee, walking around a king sized bed to relieve oneself sounds like a drag, let alone if there are health issues that necessitate many and/or emergency bathroom visits.

Also, I recently switched my bed from opposite the entry wall to the entry wall, and I'm so happy with the change. Of course, if you think there are safety issues for you where you feel like you should be facing the door... by all means. To me, not facing the door has a more intimate, private feeling, which I'm really enjoying in the bedroom. Now, instead of looking at the entry door when I'm in bed, I'm looking at art.

prettycityg thanked Carrie B
  • prettycityg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Carrie, for your input.

We did move the bed the entry side wall, to test drive the layout. It has it's pros and cons with the layout as such.

• Pro:
      • More space around the sides of the bed - feels more open
      • TV console right in front of the best for easy view
      • The art on the wall has a better flow with the furniture this way
      • Cons:
      • Must walk around the bed to get in or out of it
      • Chest of drawers doesn't fit well in the layout
      • I feel like the dresser (which I haven't received yet) will be focus of the room

With that said, having the bed in-between the two narrow windows it also has it's on set of issues with the furniture placement.

UGH. Thank goodness this is just furniture and I can move it around!

• Carrie B
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

prettycityg - would a beautiful piece of art fit & look good over the dresser? If the dresser is pretty, why not have it be a focal point? Something like this:

prettycityg thanked Carrie B
  • prettycityg
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a great idea, Carrie, but we were leaning towards the matching mirror with the dresser. Our hope was that the mirror might reflect some light back in the room, which is on the dark side since the wall of windows lead out to the covered deck.

But, the mirror is not a must. We do have two large wall mirrors in our master bath. I do like the art idea!

My goodness, this isn't easy!