Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyjz1

Curious development.

Jeff Zenner
6 years ago

I have given this some thought but have yet to figure it out. I thought maybe one of you guys might have run across this before.

My "Apache Blanket" gets PM on the flower petals. I spray them and it goes away for awhile but the very next time it blooms, the flower petals will develop what appears to be PM. It's immediate. As soon as that bloom opens, the PM is there. Its almost as though the flower bud had it within its interior. The PM is not on any of the leaves, not on any of the surrounding plants at all.

Im going to spray again of course, but the curiosity of this is bugging me.

Comments (19)

• aegis1000
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hey Jeff ...

I've found that some plants are just more susceptible to PM ... and they tend to get it consistently.

The same spores are in the air around all the neighboring plants ... it's just that your other plants are more resistant ...

Fortunately, the susceptible plants are rarer ...

• dbarron
    6 years ago

I know what Irina would say...get rid of it.

And you know, I think I agree.

• Jeff Zenner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes. I know. It was just a really slow grower and after nearly a year, it is blooming nicely, albeit, with PM on the flower petals.

I guess Ill try another example of it down the road somewhere.

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Jeff, you could also try a different location with it. I had a red flowering violet (forget the name just now, could get up and look..but irrelevant at moment), that would PM on flowers in winter (when light low), but fine in other seasons, and also fine after I moved it to an eastern window (vs northern exposure). So..maybe more light?

• irina_co
    6 years ago

You other dose it with Topaz or Banner Maxx every 3-6 months = both are systemics - to protect it from PM - or get rid of it. Why to keep a source of infection???

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Just my thought,,,,,and you know I have to try!!! Treat it but don't let it set buds for several months. Maybe that will stop the PM cycle. Just a thought. Rosie

• irina_co
    6 years ago

No, the buds and PM are not connected, It is Year of a Powdery Mildew Dog...

• Jeff Zenner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok. I get it and I have sprayed and debudded it one more time. I won't have to wait long for new blooms. If any of them show the first sign of PM, its history.

By the way, I might need some of those powdery mildew dogs. How do they work?

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Oh,,,ok guess that would not help. Well, it sounded good in idea! lol Rosie

• irina_co
    6 years ago

All the signs we will have loads of PM this year - it is already arrived - and we are not close to the spring yet.

Dog - because it is a year of a Dog in Chinese calendar.

One PM Dog is enough,,, do not mention more PM dogs,,,

• Jeff Zenner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Year of the dog. Go figure. According to my ex-wife, I have a bright future!

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Beautiful! And maybe you stumbled on the cure for your violets!!! Moving air!!!! Such a simple cure for such a big problem! Good for you because that IS a gorgeous plant!!!! Congrats!!!! Rosie

• lucillle
    6 years ago

I run a fan in the daytime in my plant area. In addition, I have a HEPA filter that filters among other things, spores.

Spectacular plant!

• Amy
    6 years ago

Oh, lovely plant. I have a baby A. Blanket, can't wait for it to grow up. I tend to throw away problem plants, except for super-favorites. In hindsight, there are very few plants I regret throwing away, one NOID in particular.

• Jeff Zenner
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah, I have separate fans installed for each shelf of my plant racks. They run 24 hours a day, every day. In an effort to save this plant from the compost heap, I placed it in the closest possible position, in front of the fan. Seemed to have worked. Thank goodness. This has been a very difficult plant to get to this point.

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

You grew a beautiful example! I found with the Apache series, it took a while to get the conditions right. Once I did, they thrived. I think it is one of the most rewarding series to grow. The colors all harmonized well. Joanne.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Love J.Munk's hybrids - both green leaves - Rodeo - and variegated series - Apache, Great Job, Jeff!

• stamik2004
    6 years ago

The flowers are a nice size and the contrast from the deep purple with the variegated leaves...really a show stopper. Nice job! I know we all have some that are fussy but sure worth it!