Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Well-decorated smaller home from my hometown newspaper

gsciencechick
6 years ago

Love this home! As someone who has a smaller home, it is refreshing to see a home showcased that has lesser square footage. I like the way they blended antiques, traditional, and modern. Just goes to show if you decorate around things you love, you can make them work. I can take some inspiration from their music room, since we would like to do this with our guest room since we've had guests 3 or 4 times in 10 years.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/26/home-of-the-month-empty-nesters-on-the-move/

Comments (11)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like that, thanks for sharing. Like them, we sold our 2,500 sq ft home and are renting a 1,750 house while we look for land to build on (and we won't build a large home).

I'm enjoying decorating this rental. It's a challenge downsizing, and losing rooms I had (and bigger rooms), but it feels very cozy. I wish my kitchen was the size of theirs! Mine is very small, and storage is non-existent. I've had to learn to be creative, fast.

My husband plays guitar, so we use a spare bedroom as his music room/office. And the formal dining room is a reading room (I had to sell my table).

For us, this change is showing us what was kind of a waste in our last home. I think it will help for when we build ... seeing what we don't need next time, as well as what we do need.

gsciencechick thanked User
  • DYH
    6 years ago

Yes, it's great to see a "real life" house story.

When I was downsizing, I didn't want an apartment/condo/townhouse because I've always lived in the country and wanted a yard for my dog.

Finding a small house in my new city, in a good neighborhood, was extremely difficult. Most of the homes are too big for one person.

I made an offer on a 1200 sf one-level house in walkable neighborhood, with a shady lot -- and the owner immediately withdrew it from the market -- I had offered a bit over full price. I was so bummed!

The second house that I was ready to buy, was a 1300 sf, one-level house built in 1901 in a walkable neighborhood. The house was completely renovated by a respected renovator. I loved that house, but when I sat on the front porch and looked across the street, the multi-family old apartment house ticked all the boxes for the warnings my city publishes on identifying drug dealers -- blacked out windows and very expensive cars coming up, with dark windows, and honking the horn. Bummed again.

My 1939 house started out at 1700 sf, but I wanted a first-floor master suite and laundry (not down in the basement) so that I could age in place. So, I added square footage that wasn't really needed, but it was needed for one-level living. Now, I feel like the upstairs isn't used. I have a guest room, but the upstairs office and other bedroom are sitting empty--except for things I'm not using and will part with when I'm certain I won't use those items here.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Love it. DH and I are looking to downsize, he’s an avid photographer, this could be us!

gsciencechick thanked Sueb20
  • melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    6 years ago

It's refreshing to see smaller homes featured! We live in a small home. Its cramped but cozy.

gsciencechick thanked melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

This couple has impeccable taste. I would call this a curated home without any of the negative connotations that phrase sometimes has. Their design aesthetic is carried seamlessly throughout their house, the kitchen is wonderful and the bedroom is so pretty and welcoming. It's all good.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Great house. It's small but lives large.

gsciencechick thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your comments!

Miz_G, my DH also has a guitar where he has no space to play either, so this setup would work out great. He also had his 80's stereo system and turntable restored and we are adding to our vinyl record.

dhygarden, our neighborhood is currently very hot in real estate, which is a good thing. There was a time post-recession that we thought it might turn the other way, but location in the city, well-built brick homes with hardwood floors, and access to the light rail are good selling points. That was why DH bought here. We had just met when he bought the house. We really use every room in the house with the exception of the guest room. We have a nice deck that maybe could be a sunroom someday and a nice vegetable garden that gets sun but also mature trees.

We have a single floor which I am happy about if we ever have any orthopedic issues.

• jakabedy
    6 years ago

Very nice. But their dog is apparently .003% as dusty as my dogs.

gsciencechick thanked jakabedy
  • woodteam5
    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing the article, I also enjoyed the section about the blizzard of '77!

gsciencechick thanked woodteam5
  • l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

I loved the anaglypta wallpaper. I've always wanted that! Does not really go with my current home. Also wonder if the sage colored kitchen cabinets were initially oak?

gsciencechick thanked l pinkmountain