Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hutchae84

Beginning stages of kitchen design/renovation

We are at the beginning stages of planning a complete kitchen remodel and I am nervous about not planning things out ahead of time. Or picking out different design elements that don't flow together at the end. Basically the only two things we know for sure are, hardware will be antique brass and floors will be medium-wide plank wood.

Hardware finish :

Cabinets will be painted, most likely white or possibly a blue-green .

Besides that I am kind of at loss. I believe we want a quartz or countertop that is white with a grey vein. And possibly a white glass backsplash in a herringbone.

Does this overall theme seem to work well together? Any insight (especially on backsplash)?

Part 2 of my questions, when making the cabinet choices, who would be the person to help with cabinet feet, moulding at the ceiling, toe kicks, end panels, etc? Would an experienced general contractor have insight, or the cabinetry maker? Or is this something I would really need to consult an interior designer with?

We are going thru the house with our GE Monday so hopefully they will clear some things up. We start full remodel beginning of April.

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Linda Mayo
    6 years ago

A kitchen designer could help you with the design of the kitchen including the feet, backsplash, moldings, etc. If you get cabinets from a box store, the elements they suggest will be the ones they sell of course which are mostly standard size cabinets and some semi-custom cabinets and would arrange for installation by subcontracted installers they call on.

Some interior designers can do kitchen design. Some also sell a line of cabinets which they would lay out for you. Even if they don't sell a line of cabinets they can help pull together colors, finishes and lighting and other interior design elements. They may suggest an installer or provide one.

If you go directly to the cabinetmaker they would be able to help with types of wood, cabinet hardware, specialty finishes, custom moldings, feet, custom cabinet design--cabinets that are not necessarily standard sizes but fitted to your space and needs. They can install the kitchen and if they employ a kitchen designer, they can design the kitchen. Some will provide counters or arrange for counters to be installed for you as well.

• Jenny Bigelow
    6 years ago
    Those installing your cabinets (if going through a custom cabinet company) will show you a computer generated layout of your kitchen with all of the components you want. They will do the crown and the feet and side panels. If you are buying from a big box store I have no idea.
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hire a real KD. [An independent.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/spokane-kitchen-reno-part-2-dsvw-vd~4929811) One who isn’t trying to sell you stuff.

• qam999
    6 years ago

Even more important than surfaces and color is the overall functional design and layout. That is where every remodel should start.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all your advice, it makes me feel a little better knowing how things are generally handled. We will be going the custom route for cabinetry. I have been debating whether or not to hire a designer, I would like to but I also need to convince my husband that it would be worth the extra money. I've been shopping around a little but some of the designers in my area don't really match my overall style aesthetic (a little too PNW-y for me). Do KD tend to charge a set percentage fee (10 percent of total remodel) vs a flat fee?

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Qam-i agree. We our going thru with our contractor again and will decide if at that point if we will also hire an architect (doing remodel on other parts of house as well). I figured finishes is something I could kind of start planning/daydreaming on my own.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How do I determine if some is an independent KD?

• Denita
    6 years ago

If they aren't affliated with a cabinet co is a good start. There are designations for Kitchen Designers. Others can give you more info.

https://www.kompareit.com/homeandgarden/remodel-qa-what-is-a-certified-kitchen-designer.html

Here is a link for the various designations: http://www.hgtv.com/remodel/kitchen-remodel/understanding-designer-certifications

It is important that you get along with your designer. By that, I mean that you can communicate. There are different communication styles for all of us, so find one that not only has the designation, experience and knowledge, but one that can communicate with you effectively.

• JDMCCL
    6 years ago

I agree with those who recommend using a independent kitchen designer. That's what i did, and it turned out to be the best thing I did. She charged an hourly fee and thought of things to ask me that I never would have thought of. Overall, her fee was the smallest percentage of cost in the whole project.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Creating Idea Books is a good beginning for working with a KD. Independents are difficult to locate. Often, designers attached to a shop can do a basic independent design, but may or may not be able to work with a custom cabinet maker outside of the shop due to conflict of interest issues.

The design is the beginning. The other half is the implementation of the design and the skill of the cabinet maker involved. There are many “custom” cabinet makers in the market that merely order parts and are not true custom makers. That is tricky to navigate if you don’t know he right questions to ask. Like, “do you do side extend back to scribe to a wall?” A lot of the fake custom do not even know how to scribe anything!

A lot of who will fill your needs will depend on the overall scope of the work involved, and the budget. Renovations that are planning structural changes will obviously be more costly than those that are not. But those are the renovations that you absolutely need professional help with! Good luck!

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Denita-I read thru the links and they were very helpful, I think they will provide the information I need to sway my husband on going with a KD. Price is a lot more reasonable than I thought. Although I live in a high cost area so I am expecting price may be higher.

JDM-would you mind me asking how much she cost? I totally understand if that's too personal.

Cook's-that's good to know about custom cabintry. I would also find it helpful having a KD in selecting the right cabintry maker. Vs choosing one on my own and it not meeting my expectations.

Again thanks so much. This is my first remodel, and it can be a little overwhelming for a newbie. I just want to make sure I'm taking the proper steps before it starts.

• Decisionfatigue
    6 years ago
    I like the idea of an independent designer. We had seven companies come out and they all used specific companies for cabinets and countertops that I found limiting. I wanted a very specific color for my cabinets that I was having trouble finding. They kept calling it custom because it was never in the value series for a cabinet company. I started looking on my own and found it at a good price that aas cheaper than any quote we got and the quality was better. That started me on a journey of just doing my remodel myself although it would have been helpful to have hired an independent person to help with every decision as it can be overwhelming. Thankfully I had someone I trusted to run things by.
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Small update: we went thru the house again with our GC. He advised that we should hire kitchen or interior designer for the main floor as well. So my husband is now fully on board with that route. I am going to start researching and contacting people today.

Any tips on things I should be asking?

Is it definitely better to go with a KD over an interior designer that focuses on kitchens?

I'm in Seattle, so if anyone knows of one in this area they love, feel free to drop a name!

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Check out the Kitchen forum. Lots of expert info there.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Yes, an independent KD has interior design experience too, but not all interior designers can design a kitchen well. Interview carefully. Get references. See what they have done in the past. Make sure you can communicate with the KD effectively. Don't get one tied to a cabinet company IMO.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How can you tell if a KD is dependent? I am currently looking at some websites but I'm not sure how to tell, I thought one was independent but they then have a product page of people they prefer to work with? I could post company (they are on here too) but I am not sure if that is allowed.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Here is a thread to get started that has a ton of info for you. The people that visit the link frequently will be better able to tell you what you need to ask of your independent KD and help with all the little details. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~4306041?n=585 

• User
    6 years ago

You have to ask. Most will work with one or more cabinet lines. But some of those will still do independent design only that is not tied to those lines. If you can’t find ones willing to do that locally, there are those who do it online, like Cook’s above. But your GC has to provide the measurements to work with when you go that wsy.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

One more update and question: so I've been looking for KDs in my area but most seem to be on maternity leave or booked several months out. I did find one that has a lot of experience who I was going to look at using for design layout only (I don't think she is independent). I have a family member who is an interior designer who is independent. Is it a bad idea to pair with two designers, use KD for layout and interior designer for finishes, counters, cabinets etc? Does it get confusing with two or is it still pretty cohesive?

• friedajune
    6 years ago

I have a family member who is an interior designer who is independent”

It’s a bad idea to use a family member for your interior designer, or any kind of contractor. Don’t do it. You’ve been warned.

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fried-I am very hestitant for that reason as well. She reached out to my husband vs us reaching out to her. So right now we are currently thinking it through.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I paid an independent KD $1100 for kitchen and bath design. She sold Wood Mode cabinets and would have counted the design fee towards cabinets, but I didn't have any obligation to buy cabinets from her. We both pretty much knew upfront Wood Mode would be out of budget. I agree with others that the KD can help save money. It's very easy to make an $1100 mistake without pro help!

My project went on hold after I worked with the KD (had to save some more money). When I got it started again, I ended up working with an independent interior designer too. I paid $500 ($250/hour in a high cost of living area). I had inspiration pics and a lot of material samples, and she helped me finalize exact paint colors, cabinet colors, tiles, fixtures to get that look. For me it was worth $500 for peace of mind that everything would come out looking right. I don't think you necessarily have to work with 2 designers, but it wasn't an issue for me. I would say the interior designers skillset would not have been sufficient for the kitchen design.

• qam999
    6 years ago

Aarggh, do not use the relative who reached out to you to do any aspect of your design. She should be reaching out to non-relatives only, IMO (rather than the implied pressure of leaning on family ties). If she's good, she'll have no trouble selling her services to the general public, especially since all the other KDs are booked several months out.