Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_41522116

Light Switch Covers & Outlets: White or Light Almond?

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is the sign I have become too focused on the tiny details of our house update! We recently painted our living room and kitchen in SW Twilight Gray. We have dark walnut stained trim for baseboards and windows. We are getting ready to update all of the light switches and outlets in our house because we have very yellowed and dingy ivory plates. We are having a hard time deciding between white or light almond. Which would you do? Is light almond still in style these days? I love the clean look of white, but my husband seems to think the light almond matches our paint color better. I attached a photo of a light almond solid plate with our paint color. Please ignore the outlet on the right...that is the ivory we are replacing.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

No brainer , white that almond looks horrible with that paint.

User thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Paint your switch plate covers (do NOT paint them while on the wall!!!!) the same color as your wall.

User thanked Anglophilia
  • Carrie B
    6 years ago

I'd go with white.

User thanked Carrie B
  • sushipup1
    6 years ago

The almond looks dirty.

User thanked sushipup1
  • sableincal
    6 years ago

White.

User thanked sableincal
  • susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

I have replaced every switchplate and wall outlet with beautiful ones from craft shows, my travels,

and artsy places. I have enamel beach scenes, 3D florals, printed fabric covered ones, painted ones, and on and on. It took a few years of collecting, but I love how they look.

User thanked susanzone5 (NY)
  • songbird07
    6 years ago

paint them the same color as wall

User thanked songbird07
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

White. And don't stare at them either.

User thanked JAN MOYER
  • Carrie B
    6 years ago

You don't want wall outlets to disappear - you need to find them - you just don't generally want them screaming for attention.

User thanked Carrie B
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

The switch plate cover is what is painted; the switch itself is not. Choose one that is the color of your woodwork. You will have no trouble finding the switch, but the switch plate will be less in-you-face.

User thanked Anglophilia
  • Donald
    6 years ago
    Paint them the same color as the wall
    User thanked Donald
  • arcy_gw
    6 years ago

The plates are an easy switch. I don't find them a FEATURE I want to celebrate by fancying them up. The plugins and switches are a bigger issue. They don't swap out so easily and some would want an electrician doing that job. My choice is to match the switches and the plugins. White is always correct. Almond maybe not. It really is potatoe potato.

User thanked arcy_gw
  • loonar29
    6 years ago

I think that those that said the almond is "horrible" or "dirty" are actually looking at the ivory one on the bottom right that you are planning to replace. I personally went with white for my home, but truthfully, the light almond flat plate looks white on my monitor.

User thanked loonar29
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions so far! I think I may have gotten my husband to switch over to team white. loonar29, you are right that there is such a subtle difference between the two (which I why I almost felt silly thinking about this so much). As others have mentioned, white will always be in style and probably the safest bet in the long run, since as many have mentioned, switching out the actual plugs and switches will be time-consuming!

• Alex Broersma
    4 years ago

I know this is old, but I couldn’t help myself. Perhaps this will help future readers of this thread. I think all the commenters claiming the almond looked “dingy” were in fact looking at the ivory in your photo. I am personally a BIG proponent of light almond. It is subtle but the difference is worth it for me. White is so plain, so standard, to me, that everyone generally goes for it without thinking it through. As an electrician, I applaud you for taking the time to recognize this. Although not always (or even typically) done, wiring devices and wallplates are technically designed to blend in with their surroundings. Now, stop and think...who has white walls these days? My grandparents do, for one. They are in their 90s. That should tell you something.

Go with light almond, or better yet, one of Lutron’s 30 or so colors, which blend in with your wall best, how you like it. Only, those are 2-5x more expensive than standard colors. Guess what? Light almond is a standard color these days! So it costs the same as white,

ivory, gray, black, and brown.

But don’t just “go with white” because it’s what everyone does. Be yourself.

• Hayley Ford
    3 years ago

Go with white. Don’t paint your outlet covers that is so tacky from a design perspective.