Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

Charlotte moss gallery walls

Everyone has probably seen these photos of Charlotte Moss’s gallery walls. I love her rooms. Is she breaking the ”rule” by going so high up the wall? I ask because I have a similar situation with some artwork. Of course my room doesn’t look anything like hers. I wish. I’m Gaga over the second one.

Comments (14)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Love these two rooms. That chaise and side table are making my heart sing.

I've collected artwork throughout my life and have many pictures that would be considered hung too high (some gallery style, some above china cabinets, one above the *gasp* TV). Oh, well. I enjoy them.

There was a poster here years ago who had an amazing gallery wall in her home (office, I think?), up to the ceiling. I wish I could remember who. Iirc, the house was old and her gallery pictures were all black and white. Looked wonderful.

Saypoint zone 6 CT thanked User
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the wall I’m working with now after putting a tv inside an old bookcase. I’m still on the fence about whether I want to keep the tv in here. We have a separate family room.

This is some of the same art on the wall in my old house. We moved a year ago.

• User
    6 years ago

Lovely, saypoint!

Saypoint zone 6 CT thanked User
  • lisaam
    6 years ago

Interesting link, beckysharp.

• User
    6 years ago

Look how Miles Redd rolls...

• User
    6 years ago

Magnaverde's wonderful picture wall.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Thank you for that reminder Miz G!

lisaam, I am constitutionally unable to ignore an opportunity to do more research lol.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

One can put art or family photos massed out if it works in the room. Last week, my yardman and I finally unpacked a box that was packed up in Maine in 2004 and just never got unpacked. It held many, many old family photos, simply framed. My mother had had this in her bedroom in her house, later it was in the guest room of her apt, and we had it in the guest room of the Maine dorm apt. Next weekend when my two grandsons will be my houseguests while their parents go away for a 21st wedding anniversary celebration, we will hand them over a lovely antique mahogany buffet that sits at the bottom of my semi-finished basement steps (no where else to put it, it looks nice to look down and see it there, and it's great storage). So, the "rogues gallery" will be hung!

When one has lots and lots of pictures, this can be quite effective. In rooms with high ceilings, smaller pictures can even be hung over doors. Mine are not high enough, but they are for two lovely sailboat half-models to fit, one over each doorway in my library. I do have a row of old hunting prints over the doorway in the breakfast room as well.

As one gains confidence in ones decorating skills, one can do lots and lots of things for which there really are no "rules" or even which break those rules. But beginners are best off following the rules until they train their eye.

• sergeantcuff
    6 years ago

Great thread with interesting (and helpful responses). Several years ago I did a small salon style grouping that I liked at the time but now needs rethinking.

I especially like the second Charlotte Moss picture. I need a little table just like that. What words would you use to find something similar?

Saypoint zone 6 CT thanked sergeantcuff
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did a search for small gold accent table and turned up a lot of images. Some of them can be had for under $100 (don’t know the quality) and OKL has a pretty faux bamboo square one for around $200. Makes me wish I had room for it.

• jjam
    6 years ago

Beautiful rooms! Both of your gallery walls are stunning. You have a wonderful eye.

Saypoint zone 6 CT thanked jjam
  • Sueb20
    6 years ago

I used to have a gallery, errr, salon wall in my home office but then we placed two big bookcases on the wall. Darn it, now I want to create a new gallery wall. I love the first Charlotte Moss room and the pic posted by Becky.

• sergeantcuff
    6 years ago

Thanks saypoint. I like faux bamboo, so I think that’s what attracted me rather than the “gold” part. I need something small that can be can be moved around easily.