Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brinckie11

Trying to reglaze a 1950's window...how do I get it out?

Ok, I've finally found a subject not found on YouTube. Trying to remove these windows to reglaze them indoors. I figured out how to remove the miniblinds (the shiny bracket at the top of the photo), then I found a video on YouTube on how to remove the stops on each side (very carefully, then mark them). I thought once that happened, the windows would magically pop out...no such luck. They're still kind of trapped in the aluminum frame. I have this horrible feeling I have to take out the entire aluminum frame but I can't really find any info.

Can anyone help?

Comments (19)

• kana brinckerhoff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jn3344 - thanks for the response but there's a channel on the right side as well!

• tatts
    6 years ago

Just wait until the weather's warmer and do it the normal way--in place. You're making a lot more work for yourself.

• kana brinckerhoff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tatts - sorry, forgot to mention that it's on the second floor so one way or another it will have to come out. We were racing to do it last fall before the weather turned and just didn't get to these upper windows. Subsequently, we've decided to sell our house and need to get it on the market by mid-April!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

There are nails holding the aluminum tracks in . Find them and remove them gently. Usually the aluminum will come out with the sash and go back in with the sash

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 years ago
    You will need to lower the upper sash, raise the lower sash, then pull both sashes and one of the tracks in toward you.
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Todd is correct in that you need to remove the nails from the jamb liners and remove them with the window. You will mostly likely damage them in the process so I would echo the recommendation of someone above and just glaze them in place when the weather warms up.

kana brinckerhoff thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • kana brinckerhoff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone. Possible with a combo of raising and lowering the windows to reglaze from the inside? I just don't want to have my husband up so high working on this...

• geoffrey_b
    6 years ago

I once had a home with similar windows. After you take out the nails, and remove the window - it's a mess. Buy a Marvin Tilt-Pack (or a like brand) - Tear out the old window, install new jams, and insert sashes. All done from the inside.

kana brinckerhoff thanked geoffrey_b
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

It will be very difficult to do a proper job without taking them out or going from the outside. Painted sashes are more difficult to take out.

• User
    6 years ago

This may not be a DIY job. Have you asked for a quote to have it done professionally? It may not be as high as you think. DIY is great, but sometimes you just have to pay a professional.

kana brinckerhoff thanked User
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Get a professional or don't do it. These windows weren't made to pop in and out, especially 60+ years after the manufacturing. Is it on a second floor?

kana brinckerhoff thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

I have to agree with the other pros, this is not likely to be successful. These are a PITB to remove due to the nails in the soft aluminum and typically get destroyed in the process. Options are to reglaze in place from a ladder, or have a professional do so. I'd tend to recommend the latter, shouldn't be all that expensive

kana brinckerhoff thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

An oscillating tool with a carbide teeth to cut the nails may be your best bet if you decide to try and remove them.

kana brinckerhoff thanked toddinmn
  • kana brinckerhoff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! I hate to get rid of the windows but it looks like I might have to get....ugh...replacement windows! I have a few calls in to see what reglazing would but I have a feeling that probably replacing the ones on the second floor makes sense.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

Don't want to sound like a shill for replacement windows, but by the time you'd pay for a professional to re-glaze and weatherize those, it would at least be worthwhile to explore the cost difference and decide from there.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

New windows will also save a lot on your heating bill. My utility company pay us when we make an energy-saving improvement to our home. I got $50 when I bought a new fridge and $300 when I replace my roof.

• kana brinckerhoff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Homesealed Exteriors - thanks, agreed. We have someone coming in to give us the cost of reglazing and someone to give us the cost of replacing. I'm sure replacing will be less. We have 30 windows, so were just trying to figure out a way to keep the costs down.