Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haley_westbrook

Window covering for kitchen sink window

Haley Westbrook
6 years ago
We are having plantation shutters installed in the rest of the house, but they are unable to put them on the kitchen sink window because “they won’t be able to open.” I was thinking of putting a shade of some sort... What do you guys think? Would that look dumb with just 1 window different ???

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

no it would n't look dumb. it would be perfect. anything is better than mini blinds!

But, do you absolutely need a window covering? kitchen windows are allowed to be bare.

otherwise, try a roman blind, solar shade, cellular shade or a woven wood

flat roman shade

this look like a finely woven bamboo blind w/valance

solar shade. these come in all color. the black one is really cool looking.

Pirouette shades.

• Haley Westbrook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much for your reply! I can’t leave it bare due to having next door neighbors. I need something for privacy. I do like the woven wood look. I actually was looking at those today, but the lady told me they would be difficult to clean and shouldn’t be in a high moisture area (like kitchen sink). The only thing she suggested was a solar shade, but it looked really plain and kind of cheap. I just don’t want it to look like we forgot about the window since the rest of my house will have plantation shutters. Any experience with cleaning the woven wood shades?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

yes. I have them. a large 8 foot woven. in my family room. I wouldn't worry about moisture from the sink. it's not like they're in the shower. Unless you're a short order cook who makes fried chicken in batches every day, I don't really think they'll be that difficult to care for. Any thing you put there will need to be wiped down. solar shade should be the easiest, but yes, they are plain.

look at some of the wovens and pick one of those. I order mine from blinds.com (who is owned by home depot) so you can go in the store and look at all of the samples in those books.

what did you think of pirouettes? the last green one? I really like those.

• User
    6 years ago
    This is not a good pictute, but we just recently replaced the awful blinds over our sink with this bamboo shade from overstock. I put it up to let light in every day, so its never down when I'm doing dishes. I love it. Ignore the honey cabinets!
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

I have a faux roman shade. You could do something like that if you wanted to not have a full shade made and use the faux roman shade to hide the blinds during the day.

This is very easy to make if you have basic sewing skills:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042