Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logcabinlivin

Kill me now - Root Mealies in GRITTY MIX

Erin
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So the ol' saying "root mealies prefer organic mixes" just totally flew out the window. Tonight they were found munching away at the roots of my Lapidaria growing in gritty - like a whole MASSIVE colony of the little nasties.

Funny thing is, the soils around it that are 50/50 organic to grit didn't appear to be affected - yet.

I originally noticed that my Lapidaria was started to get wrinkled on the top set of leaves and since I had just recently watered, I couldn't quite put my finger on the "root" cause.

Then it dawned on me.

CRAP (another word was used that I can't type here)

I proceeded to pour out the little pot of turface, granite grit, and pumice (no bark) only to find a white powdery substance that seemed to be "alive". The plant once had a nice, lush root system that practically filled his little pot and as I gave it a closer inspection, the whole mass of feeder roots completely broke away from the tap root.

Side note: This infestation happened sometime between last July when I repotted him to gritty and now.

I decided to make this guy into an experiment instead of throwing him out (it's not easy saying goodbye to something you've had for so long). I discarded the gritty soil, treated plant with alcohol, cut away a huge portion of the tap root - leaving about 1/4 to 1/2" - and then dipped in sulfur powder to prevent infection since the plant is already severely weakened (kinda similar to trimming back the roots of lithops).

Hopefully he'll bounce back as he's in quarantine now but the question remains. Should I treat all of my plants now? I checked a few surrounding and didn't see anything but I want to be doubly safe.

Thanks!!

To counter balance the grossness of this post, here's pics of some cute lapidaria seedlings of mine

Comments (13)

• niksouthafrica
    6 years ago

Mealies will get into any mix that is relatively loose and they tend to attack plants that are stressed in some way so the repot is more likely to have caused the problem. Some people like to treat all, I consider them impossible to totally eradicate and I play it by ear because mealies are mainly a stress or ant problem.

I don't know for sure if the lapidaria will regrow it roots, it might, so long as you make the growing medium a little damp to encourage the roots to sprout

Erin thanked niksouthafrica
  • clownmotel
    6 years ago

Ha! I appreciate you countering the grossness with those cute little seedlings. Bug pics are starting to gross me out but I still can't stop clicking on them. Hope your Lapidaria rebounds and no further plants are affected!

Erin thanked clownmotel
  • ewwmayo
    6 years ago

That's so frustrating! Did you figure out where the source of them was? I'd suspect at least one other plant that would be the culprit.

Erin thanked ewwmayo
  • laticauda
    6 years ago

Ants

Erin thanked laticauda
  • ewwmayo
    6 years ago

Forgot about ants since it's cold winter outside, haha.

Erin thanked ewwmayo
  • Erin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@niksouthafrica Oh yeah, for sure, I totally believe it now. It's just totally unexpected! The mesemb growers that I originally learned from pounded into me that to avoid root mealies use an all inorganic mix. Pffft.

Will be fun to see if it re-roots! Always worth a shot. Figured I'd root it like a cono cutting. Damp pumice until roots appear. We'll see tho!

@clownmotel - Ha thank you, I'm the same way. You never know what you might learn!

@Ewwmayo - I know exactly where they came from. A lithops grower in California - and I won't name names. I ordered 50 from them and about a month later the pot of them had root mealies. Treated and everything was fine well, so I thought. They must have crawled through the drainage hole last summer to visit their neighbor, this lapi. Ha!

laticauda - I never once saw any ants feeding around the lithops (the source) last summer I just happened to pull some to sell and noticed them. Needless to say I had to cancel the order.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I guess this is another AWESOME reminder to quarantine and possibly get in the habit of pretreating!

• laticauda
    6 years ago

What do you pretreat with?

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

I just saw a Youtube video where someone suggested using an annual like Coleuses (my fave) to attract the mealies. I have no idea how that would work, but as much as I like Coleuses, it would be an easy plant to use. You all probably know about that, or maybe it doesn't work, for all I know, but I thought I'd bring it up..

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Great point. I've never had much problems with bugs and this stuff scares me.

Erin thanked Jeff (5b)
  • andy_e
    6 years ago

I've had good luck with imidacloprid in the form of Bayer Tree & Shrub insecticide. I use it as a soil drench once/year. Used to have tons of mealy issues. Nothing now.

Erin thanked andy_e
  • myermike_1micha
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Andy is right. I too had to use that stuff to kill root mealy on my Hoya last year. They were killing half of them and now I treat the root system before I bring anything inside. It's digesting especially when you can't see the damage they are doing until it's too late and they have moved on to other plants...These I fear more than any other bug known. At least you can see the others..Don't forget to wash the pot and the surrounding community..

Erin thanked myermike_1micha
  • Erin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I used to be totally against Bayer Tree and Shrub (we have a bee colony so I take precautions by putting plants in the greenhouse if they're blooming) but that annual treatment sure gives peace of mind.