Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimradams2012

Bold backsplash layout

kimradams2012
6 years ago

We decided to go with a new gorgeous bold backsplash. Would appreciate any advice on the layout. I’ve attached two pictures with options Thank you. I just can’t decide which I like better

Thank you.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    6 years ago

I vote for the layout in the top photo.

• kimradams2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! I was leaning that way but just wasn’t sure. Appreciate your taking the time to reply.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    6 years ago

Not a pro but I love the bold pattern! I vote for #1!

kimradams2012 thanked Molly D. Zone4B
  • biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

Just to confuse you, I prefer #2. But I like #1 too - with such gorgeous tile, you can't go wrong!

kimradams2012 thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • newhomegal
    6 years ago

#1 looks good to me. :-)

kimradams2012 thanked newhomegal
  • jck910
    6 years ago

kimradams2012 thanked jck910
  • Fori
    6 years ago

Can't decide. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

kimradams2012 thanked Fori
  • Kristie Bresz
    6 years ago

I like #2 as well for the same reason Beth said. I like to be able to see the whole "flower" pattern. I think this tile is really pretty and either way will look great!

• kimradams2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love the replies and pics! The space is 17” high so we were also figuring out how to handle that inch gap as the grout line will be very thin. The designer at the local tile store recommended a black slate subway tile for the 3.5” space above the sink. Agree?

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

Can you put the countertop material there? I'm not usually a fan of countertop as backsplash but in this case it makes more sense than tile, imo.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

do you have any more of the countertop material there? that would look best. or match the black that's in your tile and do a black outlet.

are those cement or the porcelain tiles to look like cement? if the former, get the plain black ones to match. if not, look into Basalt. the very dark, honed black basalt. That will look better than the slate.

these are 3x6,

but you could also get a large 12x24 tile

and just cut the larger pieces to fit perfectly if it's higher than 3" plus, you won't have grout lines every 6"

so your tiles are 16". You have 1 inch to take care of, or 1/2" at top and bottom. by the time you get in your grout lines, that will eat up a 1/4" or so. do 1/8" between counter and lower tile, and you should have less than 1/2 at the top. easy enough to hide w/grout. you prob won't even see the top portion.

you're going to need something to edge your other tiles. if you do this basalt, use a basalt liner for you tile edging to tie it in. I used the basalt chair rail to edge mine in my shower.

are you tiles cement or something else?

• OneRidgeOff
    6 years ago

Just chiming in to agree with Beth and others, #2 to highlight the central flower. It’s beautiful and I’m glad you’re going Bold!

kimradams2012 thanked OneRidgeOff
  • kimradams2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The tiles are cement. you prompted me to look at the black tiles and they are actually basalt. they match the black in the colorful tile very closely. Just concerned about a strip of black tile along the sink but maybe it will work when all the tile is installed. I don’t have any of the quartz countertop as it was in the house when we bought it. I could possibly find it though as it seems fairly common. I appreciate your thoughts on how to handle the gap. I agree leaving the extra space at the top with grout probably won’t be that noticeable. Have you had any experience with concrete tile? They are much thicker than normal backsplash tile so we are thinking about how to treat the edges where the walls end. The designer at the store recommended painting the edge black, caulking the mortar/edge of tile with black caulk and then painting the grout with black paint. Seems like a lot to do just to treat the edges. Because of the thickness, it seems it can’t just be a thick grout edge. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

i posted a pic of my cement tile above,,,,I commented on how I did my edging w/the basalt. 1" chair rail is what I used. or you could find a 1" pencil liner.

an no. do not paint the edge black. that will look cheesy as heck. Designer at the store doesn't know jack squat about laying these tiles or what it entails. do not take advice from them.

who's laying your tiles for you? what sealer have you gotten for them?

closer pic of mine. far left I used the chair rails.

for the piece next to it, I cut down a 12x24 tile into 12" lengths (i had to make up about 3-5" on the far left edge)

chair rails have a graduating thickness.

you can see how it looked at the very top

here's a liner

sealing my tiles. I sealed them 4 separate times. you'll know when it's enough when water beads up on them.

• kimradams2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Beth! This is great advice. Somehow I didn’t see your entire post before but I really appreciate all the information and the pictures you shared. Absolutely love what you did with the tiles. Thank you also for sharing information on the sealant. We have a local guy who tiled our floor and is really terrific. He probably would have ideas as well no he’s not a designer. I am definitely not the one who will be installing.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

a lot of tile guys aren't familiar installing these. sealing prior is a must. Because it takes a few days, you should do that yourself. doNOT let the sealer drip down the sides. tops only. you tiler should also know to soak these in water before laying them on the thinset. (sucks up water and dries them out too fast if not dunked) he should also know that if grouting w/a dark gout (or any grout really) not to spread over all the tiles like you would w/normal grouting. these tiles pick up the coloring on the edge and will 'turn' that color. dark grout especially. I actually had to hand pipe just the grout lines while doing mine (and wipe up immediately) so as to not get the black coloring everywhere. even though sealed, it will still discolor. and it will not come off. (unless you sand them). so, if you want these done right, start sealing them now. no way he can do 4 coats while he's there. you have to let it absorb and dry between coats, and that can take 24-48 hours.

I'm telling you all of this because there have been numerous dilemmas on here with 'experienced tile guys' who have not done any of this, and of course the results are horrible. My tile guys were A-1, but even they weren't familiar w/these tiles like I was. I had to do my own sealing, and show them exactly how to grout these. you do not want this grout smeared across the face of these tiles. trust me.