Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shj2139

Need some help to match my kitchen tile floor with my wood flooor

shj2139
6 years ago
Hey everyone! I need some advice. I'm putting in Grey chevron floors (they are engineered and come in a 6 ft by 1 ft plank)

https://pidfloors.com/product/vejle-2/

And picked out a tile floor for my kitchen. My architect suggested a light concrete looking tile Corinto caliza

http://www.porcelanosa-usa.com/products/corinto-caliza-17365.html

I need some expert advise as to whether it will match. I'm likely doing white walls. White lacquer cabinets and a light grey granite island.

Thank you!!!

Picture of wood floor and tile are below.

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Run the same floor into the kitchen , that tile reminds me of a textured ceiling and I sure would not put that in my kitchen. I much prefer the same floor throughout a space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

ONE flooring please. No tile

• Boxerpal
    6 years ago

One floor will be beautiful!

• emilyinmb
    6 years ago
    Don’t break up your space! I’m now suffering the consequences.
  • deegw
    6 years ago

Your small samples look fine together but there are some things to consider. Without seeing the space, all our observations are speculation.

Chevron is a strong pattern and will grab all the attention in the room. Do you have any other bold choices that might clash? Fabric, granite, backsplash?

The uneven surface of the light floor tile looks like it might be a dirt magnet.

• Bree
    6 years ago
    Agreed with many of the others. Keep the same floor throughout!
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

Wow those are some pricey wood floors! I don't think I have ever seen a floor retailers with such an extensive selection - I am jealous! Who makes their floors - do you know? I didn't see much on their website.

I don't care for that tile, I would prefer one like this:

http://www.porcelanosa-usa.com/products/tile/floor-tiles/mirage-white.html

I'll be the odd man out - I think tile in the kitchen would be far better than wood. And it will look beautiful.

• User
    6 years ago

Pictures of the space would be a lot more helpful. Don't listen to these sheep trend followers. See, they don't even know what is going nor don't care and start spewing this trendy garbage. I personally hate wood or wood looking floors in the kitchen with a passion. Wood don't belong in the kitchen floor! If the space permits, tile might actually be the better option. As far as your question, that tile will go fine but as someone said about it above, I would be really concerned about the unevenness of the tile being a dirt magnet.

• User
    6 years ago

@chess, your not the odd man out but you beat me to it LOL.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

They do not match and you will never find a wood and tile that do. When installed, it will look like a mistake. So if you want tile in the kitchen, find something completely different than your wood flooring.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

"They do not match and you will never find a wood and tile that do. When installed, it will look like a mistake. So if you want tile in the kitchen, find something completely different than your wood flooring."..

I think you must have misread her post. She is looking for a tile that goes with the wood floor. Not one that looks the same as the wood.

• PRO
    6 years ago

You’re right! Thank you! Then my advice is this...the tile floor in the kitchen needs to coordinate with the rest of the kitchen finishes primarily. How it coordinates with the wood floor would be secondary in my opinion. She should select the cabinets, countertops and backsplash tile at the same time as the tile floor.

• shj2139
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I really really appreciate it.

I've included a pic of the space so you can see the tile is kind of hidden away. Also I'm thinking white lacquer cabinets and a Greyson granite countertop.

Thank you!!!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Sorry but how it works with the other flooring is as important and as for Tony wood floors have been used in kitchens forever and still IMO a better choice than beaking up a space with different flooring . Wood floors are not trendy and I do not use my design biz to push trends on my clients. I just saw the post and absolutely no change in flooing in that layout

• shj2139
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Chess I'm not sure where they get their floors but they do have a ton of selection I like the white one you picked but was thinking more of a Greyish like this one might be better.
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

I like that one too! If I had tile in my kitchen - that is the type I would want. In fact the LVT I have chosen looks similar. I think that goes well with the wood flooring you selected. And it definitely works with white cabs and your counter. I think that will look nice!

• User
    6 years ago

@patricia , yes wood floors in the kitchen have been used for a long time however, it doesn't make it a good idea. Most houses have cheap garbage siding all around, doesn't mean its good.

• SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

I have no problem with two different floors. What is missing (IMHO) is COLOUR...

As far as coordination goes...you have GREAT taste....but there is no WOW factor. No COLOUR. Nothing that says "I live and am fabulous!". Gray on gray on gray with more gray and then - for contrast - gray is, well, GRAY. As in "on-my-death-bed" gray.

I would REALLY like to see ONE of the two floors given some colour. I would love to see a wood floor that has more WOOD TONES. That means hints of gold.

If you must go pale/blonde/gray for the wood, I prefer the colours of:

Brooklyn Bridge

Midtown

Aachen

but Nautical

Is my personal choice for you situation. It is pale with the MOST amount of colour inside your desired "look".

You've MATCHED everything very well. To the point of "boring". A snick of colour (or even more colour....I LOVE the look of natural wood flooring with a modern/sleek vibe) is going to set off EVERYTHING. If you keep too much into the "white/gray/gray/gray/gray" presentation then NOTHING will step up an look gorgeous. It will all fade into the walls. And that's upsetting when you spend TONS of money purchasing beautiful things.

BTW....I LOVE herring bone patterns and I love the fact that you are not shopping the "bottom of the barrel" for your floors. You're taste is impeccable. You just need a bit of colour.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

What is not a good idea? Taking a shower in the kitchen ? Washing the DOG in the kitchen? No, those are not great ideas. But the most unintended water that ever hits my floor is no more than the drop or two that hits the floor in the bath when I brush my teeth. For petes sake.......don't cut the space........and wring hands over something that needs no hand wringing.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I love the color of the wood floor she picked. It has a lot of variation - I think it's really quite nice. Not everyone wants a gold/yellow/brown/orange floor - cool tones are much more appealing to some.

• Cindy B
    6 years ago

My 2 cents is.....I LOVE LOVE LOVE my tile kitchen floor. It shows
    ZERO dirt. It is easy to clean. I know the wood I put in my foyer would
    not have held up as well in my kitchen as my tile has, especially to
    kids dragging chairs and sinks leaking and unwiped spills, never mind
    the dog's nails....Some people like the rustic worn look of wood and
    wouldn't mind, but we like ours to look like new.....
    I think
    the grey wood is very pretty, however, with wood floors I am pretty
    traditional. I would be concerned that the color would become dated. I
    think of wood floors as permanent and wonder how you will like it in 10
    years. I don't know if you can refinish engineered wood.

• blondelle
    6 years ago
    I prefer natural wood tones with a wash of grey to tone down any orange or gold tones. Ash beige or ash brown instead of stark grey. It's not about what I prefer though but there's just is no warmth or life at all to that wood. It barely looks like wood. The grey tones are trendy, soon to be "were trendy". I've never seen so much herringbone as I do now so that dates it too! Between the stark grey and the herringbone you will have yourself a dated look soon. Not good, and especially with all the money you are spending on the floors. I would go with something more classic especially since a floor is something not changed for a long time. If it were my space I would make the kitchen east to west instead of north south and open it up with an island or peninsula with seating and bring the same wood floor there. It looks a little cramped for the size of your space.
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

Gray flooring is very trendy - which means it will become the dreaded "dated". While light gray as a neutral will always be useful, the extreme over use of gray will turn on itself - just as over use of oak did.

If this was a cheap laminate gray floor with a limited lifespan - no big deal (except the waste in the landfill) but you had better love this expensive floor 10 years from now when the HGTV crowd will say "yuck - look at all that gray" - just like they say "Yuck, look at all that oak" now. If you will love it, go ahead. I have my oak kitchen which I like just fine. However, a natural wood floor will add color and will go with just about any style thrown at it. It is best if one applies the trendy colors to easily changed surfaces - like paint for walls, decor, curtains, upholstery and even a backsplash if it is not a huge expense.

Listen to SJ - she is a flooring expert. The gray, gray rooms just looked washed out - especially when all the new design pics I am seeing are showing color.

• User
    6 years ago

Why do you want a different material on the kitchen floor?

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Oh my. Yep everything I do in my home I am thinking about how the HGTV crowd will like it in 10 years Not.

• User
    6 years ago

@Chess, LOL. All of those houses on HGTV were filmed a while ago. So according to the HGTV crowd those houses are outdated now. lol. Notice on those shows they never never ever show anyone saying anything bad. Never.

I did some of my own research and they lie A LOT! Especially the show flip or flop. They have lied many times about how much the house really sold for.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Tony the only time I ever watch HGTV is at the gym. I don’t even have cable tv at home. I honestly could not care less about how “in style” or “trendy” something is. Function and low maintenance guide me most of the time. That said, I believe those shows do have value in that one can get some great ideas that perhaps they would never have known about otherwise. I think HOUZZ offers the same sort of thing, but with the added value of the forum. Lots of good advice to be found here, but lots to be ignored as well. ;-)

• PRO
    STUDIO MB
    6 years ago

If the kitchen was tucked away as you say I would have no problem with what was selected however, I re-read the details and you actually have an open space with an island. You will end up with an unattractive transition between the two floors in two places and zero aesthetic value. Good luck!