Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_sager

Need help identifying graft line on citrus plant!

Jenn Sager
6 years ago

Hey all!

I got a citrus plant from Home Depot a few years back. I'm just recently trying to get a better understanding of it, since it hasn't flowered yet.

I think I've found it's graft line, but I wasn't sure since it is about a foot from the soil. All google images I've seen, it is usually lower.

Can anyone identify the graft line for me?

Here is there I think the graft line is (right where the little green branch is coming out of):

Comments (21)

• Ike Stewart
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That does look like a graft line in the middle of the second and third photos, though it is hard to see clearly. Purportedly what sort of citrus is this, there are a few varieties that require polinators?

Jenn Sager thanked Ike Stewart
  • johnmerr
    6 years ago

The clearest way to identify the graft line... if there is one, is if branches coming from below it have leaves that are different from those above it. At the age of your tree, if all the leaves are the same, you probably do not have any branches from the root stock.

Jenn Sager thanked johnmerr
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

graft line at 8 inches on my Meiwa kumquat tree above.

New Zealand lemonade on US897. graft line at 4.5 inches from soil

Jenn Sager thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    6 years ago

Tell us the kind of citrus it is, and where you live. Outside of the citrus belt, Home Depot rarely sells grafted citrus -- especially for Meyer lemon, calamondin, Key lime and Ponderosa lemon. Chances are high that your citrus was not grafted, but was started from a cutting.

Jenn Sager thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Jenn Sager
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is a Meyer Lemon plant, and I'm in NY (near NYC). The branches / leaves below the proposed graft line look exactly like the leaves and branched on top. Based on what everyone is saying, it doesn't seem to be a graft line, and the branches at the bottom aren't suckers.

• Jenn Sager
    Original Author
    6 years ago

When I got the plant, it was pretty small! Maybe a foot tall with a few small branches. It couldn't have been a lot - $20-$25 I think.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Can’t help you but wanted to comment that I notice these days citrus grafts are made so neatly, they are not exactly easy to locate. I looked at your pics and couldn’t really tell. Could graft wound be under soil? Separate soil away from trunk and see if you notice scar.

Jenn Sager thanked bossyvossy
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Ike If you are asking me

My Harris Meiwa kumquat tree grafted on Kuharske Citrange was a gift from Cory and my New Zealand Lemonade on C35 from Four Winds was a gift from Pip. My NZL on US897 came off my original NZL. My Fukushu Kumquat on C35 came from a bud from a seed grown Fukushu tree that was a gift from Cory. She gave me 2 seed grown Fukushu kumquat trees. I have given one of those trees to a friend of mine My seed grown C35 root stocks were grown from seed Tom sent me and my US897 seeds came from Pip. After growing the seedlings I sent 12 US897 seedlings to Pip and 6 US897 to Tom. Tom T-budded one of those US897 seedling with a valentine pomelo and sent that to me. My last 2 US897 trees I have promised to Trace. I had contacted my county extension agent to get a legal OK for tom's VP. I am currently dormantizing the trees while I secure an OK from Georgia's county extension agent for the entry of 2 Seed Grown US897 citrus rootstock.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

I think it is a rooted cutting. If so you have nothing to worry about.

Steve

6 years ago

As I said, Home Depot 'up north' typically sells citrus rooted from cuttings rather than grafted citrus. I think this is what the OP has.

If the plant had been much larger at sale time -- say 2 1/2 to 3 feet high, AND was trained to a single trunk with bare trunk of about a foot, AND the price was at least $50 to $60 or more, THEN it may be grafted. Typically there would be a tag that would say the rootstock as well, but not necessarily.

• Jenn Sager
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah, based on what you and others are saying, I'm going to greatly assume there isn't a graft line, and the branches on the bottom aren't suckers. :)

Thanks for your help!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Nobody but Nobody lets you know what the rootstock is on any fruit tree anywhere in this country. This statement in not quite 100% accurate.

6 years ago

That's a pretty bold statement Ponc.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Dave

I have yet to see a fruit tree with a listed rootstock in over 26 years when I bought my first apple trees on M111 roots. It paid off but it took a year of calling and writing to find them, I am aware that some mark their trees with the root stock used.

Steve

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Ponc, that is not the case in TX. The better nurseries’ staff can readily tell you, if you ask, about rootstock, esp. on citrus. HST, the average consumer doesn’t care so they typically don’t ask.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    6 years ago

I beg to differ Steve, this is what my trees’ pots have on them when I buy them from Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Pixie mandarin planted 5/22/16 · More Info

Evan

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

That is what I would love to see on trees I see. Our patio citrus comes soon. I will check. I will have the choices of Calamondin, Key lime, "Satsuma" Meyer lemon. The satsuma is rarely seen. No rootstock tag and when I ask they can't find out. I am aware that some places mark their trees very well. When Trace bought his Meiwa kumquat for in ground Georgia they sent him a tree on rough lemon. The tree did find but the rootstock died an pealed. It took awhile for the top to dry out and die. It took him a while after to find out what rootstock it was on. It should have been on PT, or FD, If it had been marked he would not have bought it.

It took me qute awhile to find out that an unmarked lable of 'Satsuma' Owari

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

I posted those 2 pictures to show a high graft line and to show that a perfect graft union is still obvious to the junction point. Once the stub breaks off only the bark difference will give the graft line away. There is a soft curve that the graft line is in but not a sudden angle at the graft that on my the Meiwa, pictured above. That is why I came to the conclusion that Jenn,s tree is a rooted cutting.

Steve

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Poncirus, here in TX we also have growers that print rootstock on label, not all but most. You can also call grower as shown on label, describe tree and where you bought it and within minutes they’ll tell you rootstock info. I guess you’ll see that in the citrus states, FL, TX, AZ, CA. Enormous losses from pests, etc. have taught them that info disclosure goes a long ways towards triangulating problems with pests, diseases, etc come up.

i didn’t know citrus sold to northern markets were rooted. But I reiterate that I find that many grafters are so skilled that I can barely notice the graft scar (or else I’m blind as a bat)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

This Friday I go into get my eyes measured for the the cataract free replacement lens.