Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catgo

Counter top help please

catgo
6 years ago
Renovation for galley kitchen starts next week. New white shaker cabinets, vinyl plank brownish/gray flooring, stainless steel appliances. Love my new marble bathroom counters but they’re already scratched. I’m ok with that but prefer something harder for the kitchen. My heart still is drawn to a gray/white marble/quartzite look. Gray quartz is a little pricy for me although I like that look also. Have considered steel gray with a preference of honed or leathered in that. Ran across the Thunder White granite in the first picture & love it. This particular bundle is mostly free of the usual purple speckles. But is it too busy for my galley kitchen if I go with a clean solid color backsplash?
Before seeing this I was leaning toward the Himalaya White (second picture)as I like the gray coloring. Could go with the Gray Calcutta quartz as they sell it by the sq ft (third picture) but worry that it will look too “spotted or splotchy” rather than subdued which I prefer. The 4th picture is my flooring.
Do you think I would regret going with the Thunder White or should I stick with something less busy?

Comments (29)

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

I think the first pic will go with your warm floors better than the cool 2nd picture. Either way I would go with a very simple backsplash.

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sure! We’re adding cabinets/counters under the window where the table is now. Also taking out the perpendicular wall & putting a small peninsula there.
  • mark_rachel
    6 years ago

I thought the granite was the first pic?

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

On my phone it appeared in a different order than I stated in my post. Just checked my computer & those pictures match my first post. Don't know how it appears on others' phones. My computer shows: Thunder White granite, Himmalaya White granite, Gray Calcutta Quartz & flooring last. My phone shows: the quartz on top, then Himmalya White granite, Thunder White granite & flooring last. Not sure why they are in different orders each place.

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So, mark_rachel, are you liking the top computer picture of Thunder White best? I will add that it was taken inside a warehouse & the Himmalaya White was outside in natural light. Quartz was inside also.

• eam44
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Nothing you’re considering resembles marble. There are two options that look like marble, actual marble, and marble laminate. Maybe you should consider the latter.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I would go with the Thunder white granite. I’ve never seen it in person but the pictures I have seen online look lovely except for those dreaded purple speckles. That’s always one of my complaints with the light granites. If you have found a slab that is free of that, I would go with it!!

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Yes I would go with the Thunder White granite. Or keep looking. Don't settle.

• lisa_a
    6 years ago

Those 2 granites look very much like the granite I fell in love with. And then I did the stain test. It failed big time, developing large dark stains around each condiment I tested. They eventually faded but it took time. This was on an unsealed sample so a sealed stone might not react this way but it was enough to make me, sadly, say goodbye to that gorgeous stone.

Have you done a stain test? If not, do one and then decide whether one of these stones is the right one for you.

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

True, eam44. While I do love the marble, I also love the movement & coloring of the Thunder White if it’s not too busy. It does resemble the Fantasy quartzite look which I really like but was steering away from with its care issues.
    And, lisa_a, you may be right that Thunder White, while classified as a granite, might have the same issues?
    chess, until I saw this one I didn’t know there was one mostly free of the purple!
    mark_rachel, glad to hear you like it!

• Sue 430
    6 years ago

I think the thunder white would be beautiful. If I had seen it when I was looking I might have gone with granite again myself.

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for all the input. I’m still leaning toward Thunder White with your encouragement! I did talk to a fabricator today who has some quartz that may be doable so I’ll look into Gray Savoie or Cemento before my final decision. Gotta proceed soon!
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago

"And, lisa_a, you may be right that Thunder White, while classified as a granite, might have the same issues?"

Sorry, I'm confused by your response. I'm not sure what its classification has to do with staining. You have to test the stone you're considering to get an idea how it will
    perform in your kitchen. Don't go by names. They can vary quarry to quarry. Ditto for variability of a stone by the same name from one quarry to the next. It's a natural material so its mineral content is never consistent.

Have you read karen_mt's fabulous countertop geology threads? She's a geologist who
    has shared lots of very useful information to help you know more about
    the stone you're choosing, including how to test it to assess durability
    and stain resistance. Go to [Countertop Geology, Part 5: Marble, Quartzite and other Favorites.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/countertop-geology-part-5-marble-quartzite-and-other-favorites-dsvw-vd~2438427?n=165) Parts 1-4 are linked in this thread.

It's been a long time since I sat down and read through the threads (coming up on 3 years since we remodeled our kitchen) but what I recall is that white stones are generally more prone to staining than dark stones because they generally aren't as dense. Key word is generally. We've had zero staining problems with our Bianco Romano, a true granite, on our island.

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Lisa_a!
    I believe I did read those threads a couple of years ago when we were redoing our bathrooms. I do realize that different stone yards classify the same stone differently. I felt safer with granite re etching but had not thought about the lighter color making it more prone to staining. I’m not always able to get a sample to test but that is the best idea. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll read those threads again!
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

I'm kinda liking that one on the left. Your granite is beautiful! It's got some dark movement, so I would go with something lighter - I think that gray tile on the right is too dark, and I would want a bit of contrast to the cabinets.

catgo thanked Chessie
  • catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Chess, the tile on the left in the picture of 3 tiles?

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Yup.

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That just happens to be my favorite! I thought the color/tone really blended well with the granite. Then someone told me if it's that much the same, why bother? They liked the beveled gray on the board. So I was second guessing myself.

• User
    6 years ago

With gray granite, floor, and appliances, I'd use white tile. You can grout it gray to tie the counter to the cabinets.

• mark_rachel
    6 years ago

I like the one of the left, but it may not be that light in your kitchen. It would NOT go with that dark gray. Wait till your stone is installed, then decide on the backsplash.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Gray grout with white tile always just looks dirty to me. You have white cabs, so a slightly darker tile would give you a nice contrast, and still pick up the lighter areas in the granite. But I agree with waiting until the counter is installed to choose - it makes a huge difference.

• catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I can appreciate the dark grout in other people’s kitchens, but I’m not a fan of it for me. And I’m definitely a visual person so seeing the granite once it’s in would be a big help. I thought if I could go ahead & make a decision it would move things along. Better, I’m sure, to make a more confident choice since I will be looking at it daily!
  • User
    6 years ago

Dark grout with white subways is a period look. A light gray grout is a modern look. I would be very reluctant to use white grout behind a range. I had white tile countertops with white grout for twelve years. One day, after I had scrubbed every grout line and couldn't get it clean, especially around the sink, I vowed it was my last time cleaning grout. We started looking for a new countertop and that led to a new kitchen.

catgo thanked User
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

There are a lot of grout options today that are excellent at stain resistance. And many don’t even need to be sealed. White grout is really no longer an issue IF you choose the right product.

catgo thanked Chessie
  • catgo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Food for thought! I haven't really looked into grout options yet. Something else to research. :) I guess I had a grout that was a similar gray to the tile in my mind. Don't want to get on that grout-cleaning battleground any more than necessary! So, Chess do you have a specific grout to recommend? And, mayflowers, what color grout do you now have?

• Lynn Wu
    5 years ago

catgo I'd love to hear how your Thunder White granite is holding up and see pics. I am planning on light gray cabs, white tile backsplash and have been trying to decide between quartz, marble, quartzite, and just recently discovered Thunder White granite. Needless to say, I haven't decided anything and would love advice and pics :P

• catgo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    cailgirl123, it’s a tough decision to make! Our bathroom marble scratched immediately, but it’s a guest bath that isn’t used as often. I lift, not slide glass containers, etc. & wipe down water splatters after my grandkids use it. So, for us, it’s been a little over a year & I love it. Not sure about a heavily used or teenage-girls-with-all-kinds-of-products scenario. Quartz maintenance is a no-brainer, evidently. I couldn’t decide if I liked the light “marble-like” looks & would probably have gone with a solid gray in the kitchen had the price been more budget-friendly. I loved the quartzite (Fantasy Brown first drew me in.) but couldn’t decide about the brown part (depended on the slab) & functionality in a kitchen.
    So, back to granite I went. When I found a Thunder White that didn’t look like someone had splatter painted it with purple paint, I was in love. There are still small raspberry flecks running through it, but it’s not an overall purple splotch look. Lol! My granite place had no samples so I did no testing. It’s only been five months, but I love my kitchen counters! They do water spot, & I keep a drying mat on both sides of my sink as we often keep out glasses with ice water, etc. So far, no stains. I’m the main cook & our kids are grown. I do have grandkids who cook with me but since that’s supervised, it hasn’t been a problem. Hope that helps! Here are a couple of photos. There’s a semi-circle scratch on the bottom left in the marble close-up if you enlarge it. The marble has light & dark streaks running through it so the darker part is natural.
  • Lynn Wu
    5 years ago
    Thanks. Both look lovely. Your granite was cheaper than quartz? I thought the white granites were pricey. I've been searching for a marble like quartz but don't love any of them. If I go with quartz I'll probably get solid white.