Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrnickc

Kitchen island overhang for side seating? How??

mrnickc
6 years ago

Hey there!

I am having an IKEA kitchen installed and an wrestling with how to accommodate a 24 inch overhang on the island. I have two rows of back to back 24-inch deep cabinets that total 72 inches wide by 48 inches deep. I'd like to extend the quartz another 24 inches from 48 inches to 72 inches total depth (so island would be square, 72x72). I'm doing this to try and accommodate one side seat on either side of the island in addition to the 3 front seats (see an example of this in the attached picture). Havent been able to get any info on how to do this (the IKEA installers said they don't do any island supports/posts/legs). Can I just add two wooden posts at the either end of the overhang (also like the picture)? Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

72 inches supported by posts is not going to give you the minimum 24" width of leg room recommended for three people, but it will comfortably fit 2 people.

Each person needs at least 24x15 inches of leg room and those areas cannot overlap at the corners.

You should draw this out or you might end up with a gigantic island you want to seat 5 that will only seat 3.

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

What material is your countertop going to be? Can you change it to wood if it's stone?

• mrnickc
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Going to be using the 3cm quartz from ikea to match our ikea cabinets.

Also I was thinking of 4-inch wide posts which would give each person just under 23 inches of width (we picked out 16 inch diameter bar stools)... so we would have 3 stools in the front and one on each side similar to the picture which is why I wanted the 24 inch overhang so that the people sitting on each of the sides have enough width

• mrnickc
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Would something like this work in terms of the support for the overhang?l (is just the support posts with the thin strips to connect them but no plywood substrate)?

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

IKEA is frameless. You can’t use construction methodology that only works with framed cabinets with frameless. The doors of your cabinets have to actually open.

Ikea isn’t suited to the design you want without hella customization that your installers are not going to deal with. That level is for DIYers only. The design needs to fit within the parameters of the materials used. Either change cabinet lines or change the design.

And since you are also designing outside the parameters of any stone slab so that you will need a big seam down the middle, I’d suggest scrapping the design entirely and starting over. Hire a Kitchen Designer. And move to a different cabinet line if you want such an involved design. It will be cheaper. Especially since you are not DIYing. IKEA is only practical as a total DIY remodel. Otherwise you spend more for less.

You’d need a Scooba robot to even wipe the middle of such an island. It is not practical or usable.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I tried to explain above, but it might be better to show in a drawing. Two people cannot occupy the same knee space on the corner. Each square = 6". Each rectangle represents the minimum recommended 24"x15" knee space for seating at a 36" high counter. If you proceed with your plan, do you see that leg room for orange and red as well as blue and green overlap? This doesn't take into account getting around the posts either. Very awkward.

• Caroline Puthoff
    3 years ago

What are the dimensions of the posts?