Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristel_quintana

Does this look okay? Two different wood look floors in adjacent rooms

Kristel Quintana
6 years ago

I'm in a quandary over my flooring choice. I ordered some Flooret vinyl flooring for my kitchen. The small sample seemed to look good but I underestimated how the light would effect a larger area. I love the quality and it's very pretty but it's darker than I thought it would be. It looks okay during the day but at night it's even darker. When you are standing right next to the transition it seems to blend better but when standing in the kitchen - again it looks much darker (last pic). The adjacent rooms have wood look bamboo floating floors. I don't want tile and I'm concerned about continuing the bamboo in the kitchen. I know there is going to be a transition of some kind and even if I went with tile it would not be a light color. I do like the contrast with the cabinet door (pictured in photo IKEA). I'd like to get some opinions. Also, is it possible to do a pretty decorative transition with tile ( a little I can do) or contrasting wood even though both floors are floating? I'm not crazy about the bulky transition strips. If this flooring is used we will add 1/4" subfloor which will make it level with the other room. The Flooret is fairly thick.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Two different woods next to each other never look good IMO, especially if one of them is faux wood. Either carry the bamboo in or look at tiles (vinyl stone works too) instead.

• Kristel Quintana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No bamboo in the kitchen - my inlaws fridge leaked and warped their hardwood. I know too many people with that same story. I can't do tile because of the cost to fix the floor - it would have to be gutted and completely replaced to make it level with the other rooms. I could use this flooring in the bathrooms.

• Carrie B
    6 years ago

If you do two different woods, I'd make the two go perpendicular to each other rather than running the same direction. Something like this (my floors):

• DrB477
    6 years ago

If you really want a wood look for the kitchen but don't want the same bamboo as elsewhere, I think these choice work okay. At least on my screen, they seem to complement each other colorwise, different enough to be obviously different rather than something you tried to match but failed, yet not clashing. I think if they were much lighter, they might be in that unpleasant spot of being too similar but still a little off. They are in separate rooms and not an open space. I'd consider running them perpendicular as above, particularly if that works for the kitchen space (generally want the long dimension of the wood running the long dimension of room).

I have "wood" tile next to real original 110 year old wood floors, we really wanted wood looking floors in the kitchen, not stone/tile looking floors. Putting in new wood or finding reclaimed wood and making it match our original floors wasn't very realistic and our kitchen flows in our mudroom type space so I really didn't want actual wood in that area for practical reasons. I'm happy with the end result, but I'm aware it was somewhat of a compromise.

• Kristel Quintana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

DrB477, my kitchen is not very wide - almost a galley kitchen so I'm not sure how the planks would look perpendicular in such a small space. I may try diagonal. The tile I want for my back splash has color and even though it's subtle I don't want it to compete with a tile floor. I don't think the world needs yet another white subway tile back splash. I think your wood look tile compliments your old wood floor nicely - not a compromise at all. I wish I could afford tile or I'd consider a brick look but the joists are warped enough that the whole floor would have to come out.

• SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

@Kristel Quintana - if your joists are too warped for tile, they are probably too warped for vinyl planks. If this is the case, I would recommend sheet vinyl instead.

And NO sheet vinyl does NOT have to be the ugly sort. There are some stunning visuals in sheet vinyl that do NOT look like wood. In fact, you can get some STUNNING slate look floors that would look amazing next to the bamboo and the cabinets.

Please, please, please assess your "flatness" quotient for the vinyl planks. Double and triple check your floor. The best way to do that = remove the existing vinyl. The existing embosed sheet vinyl needs to come out anyway....you might as well do it to see what your subfloor flatness rating sits at.

Flooret is like all other planked vinyl....it needs SUPER FLAT ("perfect" comes to mind). If you realize your existing subfloor isn't going to cut it, I HIGHLY recommend looking at a sheet product to keep your preparation costs down.

In other words, replace "like with like".

• Carrie B
    6 years ago

"DrB477, my kitchen is not very wide - almost a galley kitchen so I'm not sure how the planks would look perpendicular in such a small space."

Errrr. My kitchen is a galley kitchen, and the width where the two woods (old pine floors and cork) meet is less than 6'.

• hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    I wouldn’t put those two woods together. Choose something different to wood.
  • Kristel Quintana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

SJ McCarthy - we have a plan to fix some of the 'wave'. We are going to build up the low areas with door skins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-5S6buKfg) first and then install a 1/4" subfloor over top of the original flooring. Seems like a lot of work but it's a small kitchen. This will make the floor within tolerance for the vinyl plank and make it even with the flooring in the other room once installed. The bigger problem with tile is floor thickness. We have enough wiggle room to straighten it out for the vinyl but the whole thing would have to go for tile unless I was okay with the tile floor being higher than the bamboo which I'm not.

• hiccup4
    6 years ago

I'm using these in all my new bathrooms, foyer and laundry. https://www.mannington.com/Residential/LuxuryVinylSheet/Search

• suezbell
    6 years ago

Can you return it? If so, do and choose a lighter wood look for all the rooms you're redoing.

• Kristel Quintana
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hiccup4- can you please tell me what it costs? Thanks!

• hiccup4
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No idea actually as it's part of the overall costs....and, quite frankly, I haven't asked. If I had to guess I think it's comparable to all other vinyl sheet flooring...maybe more but certainly not as expensive as tile. I was thrilled to find the unique patterns.It was difficult sourcing anything current.

• sunnydrew
    6 years ago
    I would do a vinyl tile that looks like slate or porcelain. There are many great products. We used a congoleum brand tile and it was beautiful and installed quickly. It abutted wood floors and was the best choice. I don't like the idea of mixing different wood floors, especially when one is vinyl wood.
  • glennsfc
    6 years ago

I disagree with the idea that wood never goes with wood. So long as the wood colors don't clash, I see no problem. And as for placing a faux wood product next to real wood, whether it works or not depends upon how real the product looks. I have seen some very realistic looking faux wood products in the marketplace.

Get what you think looks good to you and will make you happy.