Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_adia

freestanding media wall- could it work in this space?

rebecca_adia
6 years ago

hey all, posting again on a topic that didnt get many replies a few days ago! We’ve narrowed down our thoughts since then ( went to see some in person/read reviews) so hopefully this post will be way more concise and easier to chime in on.

What do y’all think about this media wall :

For this space.

Details:

the media unit that we’d have to get to accommodate our TV is 142“ long. Wall is 14’. So there’d be only about a foot of wall left on each side . Depth is 17“.

(This is current owners’ decor – also please note this question is NOT about cohesion of colors or design styles as SO much in this house is going to be changing! You name something you see in the picture and there’s a good chance it’ll be changing. ;) FYI, the color I’ve pictured above for the wall unit echoes the color and style of our current kitchen table. I feel very confident that with all the many changes planned, the color and melding of design styles can work.)

What this question is about is something I feel I have less of a handle on: size and scale and use of space— and also I guess a subset of style, which is just the question of whether a unit like this make sense to invest in at this point in time given that I know they’re not particularly trendy right now. I really like the concept of a TV behind doors, but I don’t know if this is just something that will make my house never look fresh because it’s just too behind the times.

what do you think?

ps. The white floating molding on the TV wall is one of the many things that I’m pretty sure will be coming down.

No, the unit is too big. Don’t worry about if it’s dated or not
No, the unit could work in terms of size but the concept is too outdated
No, the unit is too big AND too outdated
Yes! I tend to think these are ‘out’, but seeing this unit and your space, I think it could work - just make sure you get the rest of the design right!

Comments (23)

• rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Patricia, thanks! Was hoping a few pros would chime in :)

I really like the idea of a custom/built in look. However one thing I am drawn to about this unit is the fact that it is solid wood ( at least reportedly) and also the whole reclaimed wood look which I love, particularly when mixed with elements of other styles. Those are elements that IKEA cant offer although I do love them for some rooms!

But, solid wood is expensive. The one I pictured is 7K on sale-thus the post! That’s a large sum of money for us and I don’t want to make an expensive misstep.

Ideally I would really love a custom built-in out of reclaimed wood!- but I have a friend who is a carpenter and has done smaller custom reclaimed wood pieces for me before. And even with his friend discount, I know that with the value of his time, something like this from scratch would end up costing way more than a ready-made piece. Leading me back to the one I like from Arhaus.

I think what I’m most encouraged about, about your post is the idea that presumably—you don’t think this space would be too small for a large media wall, or that the idea of a big media wall is too dated?

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    6 years ago
    Living Room and library ladder · More Info

I don’t think the unit you are considering is too large as such. But VISUALLY it is overwhelming IMO. The barn doors are a lot of the problem. Secondly, painting the back of the shelving the same color as the wall would decrease the dominance. Thirdly, I would prefer closed storage along the entire bottom and perhaps 18” between the top of the closed storage and the first open shelf which would lend itself to display items. I like a 15-18” deep media wall, which lends itself to oversized books and games.

The attached pic, showing a project by Board and Vellum, is not exactly what I would do but shows the concept (white shelving and green background likely don’t work in your space).
    rebecca_adia thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hal, thank you so much. I think you're right -- the barn doors may just be 'a bit too much' in the space. However, they're what we like about that piece -thus the angst! Painting the back of the shelving would be an interesting way to decrease the dominance. It could be whatever wall color we choose, or it could be perhaps even a darker contrasting color?

Btw, I 100% agree with you that some closed storage along the bottom would be far more ideal visually.

Hm.

We like this piece from Pottery Barn too:

but my husband is particularly drawn to the idea of a TV being behind doors. ( I also like the barn door look and reclaimed wood look of the Arhaus one, better, and also don't 100% love the wood+veneers that PB uses- especially for such a prominent piece.)

Anyway, I really appreciate your input! Great things to think about.

Also, as long as y'all don't think the whole concept is terrible--we may likely be continuing to search for something somewhat along these lines. so if any pros have great sources or access to a piece you think we might like then please do chime in, we'd be happy to support your work and find the perfect piece!

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    6 years ago
    I’m not a fan of hidden TVs (or refrigerators or DWs with wood panels, although with them wood panels help absorb ambient noise better than metal).

To me, a TV is appropriate to a room or not. It’s not like having a toilet or dirty kitchen in plain sight. If company comes over and you don’t want the TV to interfere with conversation, cut it off. And probably save $1,000 by not hiding it behind doors.

I don’t like the finish in this pic or the $7,000 price tag, but the smaller sliding doors are far less dominant. Depending on where you live and the price point you are considering, you possibly could get a custom unit built by a local cabinet maker.
    rebecca_adia thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, I do like the scale of the doors on that one more.

My fear/suspicion is that custom made out of real wood is going to be way way over 7K.

Wondering if we should just stick with a nice TV console- it does seem to be what everyone is doing these days! That’s an interesting point about a TV not needing to be hidden out of sight. Thanks for sharing!

• m_gabriel
    6 years ago

I've seen that piece with the barn doors in person (or something very much like it) and it's awesome because of its oversized scale and heft of the wood. I saw it and wanted it but didn't have a place (or $$) for it. Have you seen it in person? You'd have to check how it felt to slide the doors. Barn doors that slide perfectly are a joy to use but clunky ones will ruin the whole effect. It's a pretty sight line into that wall so whatever you do is likely to look good! $7,000 is a lot of money for a piece that you may or may not tire of over time. I'm guessing it's unlikely you would recoup a reasonable amount on resale and it would be a bear to move.

rebecca_adia thanked m_gabriel
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks mgabriel! I’m so glad I’m not alone in appreciating the piece itself :)

yes, we went to an Arhaus this week and saw it. The doors werent clunky exactly, but they were heavy! (It is MASSIVE in person.)

And we hope to stay in the new house for 15-20+ years. . . but yes-you never know what life will bring!

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

If you're going to spend $6000 on a media cabinet so you can close up the TV, go to Room and Board's custom cabinet section and design one to fit your needs that isn't so clunky.

Linear Modular Custom Cabinets - Cabinets - Custom - Room & Board · More Info

rebecca_adia thanked groveraxle
  • tooky58
    6 years ago

But, if you love it, go for it!

rebecca_adia thanked tooky58
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

groveraxle thank you so much for the Room & Board suggestion! I wasn't familiar with them because there's no retail store in my area. I LOVE that those are solid wood and made in the USA. I am going to explore that site more!

and tooky, thanks for the encouragement :)

and-- I really do want to hear from y'all who are voting that a piece like this would be too outdated. Spell it out for me and tell me your true thoughts about huge media walls with doors for the TV. ( I don't get hurt or offended easily when it comes to talking about aesthetics and style. I owned a clothing boutique so making visual decisions was just part of my work. It's not personal, if you give me constructive feedback I'll know you are trying to help me make the best choice.)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

For 7K you could have something built that would be a lot nicer than that IMO.

rebecca_adia thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Patricia you think so? Maybe I will ask around. For my one friend who’s a carpenter, his ‘friend discount’ is to only charge $25/hr for his work. . .but based on other smaller pieces hes done for us, I just know that labor for a huge piece this size plus cost of the wood, would be $10k or more.

But, maybe there are people who could do it for less!

what do you think would be visually nicer- spell out your thoughts for me please? :)

• PRO
    Dominion Custom Homes
    6 years ago

I feel it looks a bit 'clunky' - too much for the space. If it's in the budget, I would get quotes for a custom built piece that would compliment your space (which is beautiful by the way) nicely. You could still implement the look of barn wood/aged wood/rustic somehow in the piece, but I think built-in shelves framed in the same color as your current trim work would be a more seamless addition.

rebecca_adia thanked Dominion Custom Homes
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Dominion Development! So seems like that’s another vote for looking into a custom built piece for the space. I had sort of ruled out that option mentally but now you’re right it’s something that would be fun to consider.

( or, just get a pretty new low TV console, and save my money and creative energy for all the other projects! Ha!)

• Denita
    6 years ago

Do the TV console and have art slide over it. It would be custom, but not nearly as expensive as your proposal in the OP. Here is the concept (two different styles below), you choose the art and console. the second pic doesn't show a console and the first shows a built in, but you get the idea. Make it custom. Don't go with the original piece IMO.

Streeterville Residence · More Info

East Lake Shore Drive Residence · More Info

rebecca_adia thanked Denita
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Denita, I kind of LOVE that idea! whenever you chime in I feel that you really 'get' me. Ha. :)

• Denita
    6 years ago

lol...sometimes we just have to bat an idea around to come up with something :)

• rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yes, that's why I've gotten so addicted to this site!

Maybe something like this on a larger scale. . not quite as dramatic as your inspiration but this allows a console to be there (I like some kind of furniture below TV, I never know where all the non pretty electronics 'stuff' goes without any furniture at all. . .)

• Denita
    6 years ago

Good idea. You could have the art pivot down over the TV too rather than slide if you prefer.

ETA: Make sure your console is much longer than the art/TV pieces. The one you show is too compact. The console should be at least 25% to 50% longer than your TV/art.

rebecca_adia thanked Denita
  • fissfiss
    6 years ago
    What about the “Frame” TV? Over a lovely piece of furniture. I’m anxious to see one in person. Your new space is so light and airy, the barn doors seem too heavy looking.
    rebecca_adia thanked fissfiss
  • rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Denita yes! A part of why I am wanting to upgrade our media furniture anyway is that our current one, while I love it, is too short for our current TV and that fact particularly would be accentuated in this space. Definitely will be getting one that's long enough! I also want something that isn't quite as rustic as what we currently have. Our current one leans almost into 'Americana'. It worked for years for us, but I'd love something new for a new home.

Fissfiss: That sounds cool, I wanna see one too! ;) Unfortunately (? ;) ) we do have a nice TV already though. I have so many projects I'm trying to do in the new space, I'm trying not to replace things that are already nice and functional. . .someone else on this board needs to buy one tho :)

• rebecca_adia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

update: husband does not like the 'art doors' idea at all! :( he really wants us to just select a big freestanding unit or just keep what we have. with all the other projects he doesn't want to do custom right now (which honestly, makes sense and actually decreases my anxiety, there are SO MANY PROJECTS on the list!). but he says he's now flexible on doors vs not. I would complain, but he usually gives me essentially free reign over everything. . . (for our new master bath that we'll be doing from scratch, the one and only preference he's expressed is wanting a jetted tub of some kind. I keep showing him vanities, mirrors, flooring, floor plans-- and he literally does. not. care.) So, I won't complain too much. I'm pretty lucky.