Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
9d_development

Making layout for master closet and bathroom more space efficient

Rv A
6 years ago

How can this layout be changed to make it more space efficient without impacting the functionality?

1. Entrance to closet is via the master bedroom.

2. Closet leads to bathroom; we don't want this to be the other way around for sure (bathroom leading to closet).

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• doc5md
    6 years ago

What is it that you find to be inefficient?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

You're limited with space as width and length of the bathroom goes to make any major reconfigurations.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

grow the shower to share a wall with the tub and use the plumbing back to back in the same wall. I'd also consider one sink and more storage.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

It would be more efficient if you scrunged (architectural term) the shower and the tub together. Who needs all that wasted space between the two...? Gotta be at least nine inches going to waste... :-)

• doc5md
    6 years ago

Combo Tub/Shower might be the only way to be more efficient.... unless you take advantage of the 9" Virgil found above. :)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

The closet seems small to me so I would probably do a tub/ shower combo if you need the tub and make the cloest longer and have one sink in a bit smaller vanity and a pocket door between the two spaces

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree with what's already been said. Your layout makes sense because the tub and shower are about the same depth; thus, placing them on the same wall makes sense. The vanity is more shallow, so obviously it belongs on the other wall. Within the confines of this space, which is basic but serviceable, I think this is what you can do:

- Scootching the tub and shower together /losing that empty space between them is a given.

- I would rather have one sink and more storage.

- If you're willing to go with a tub-shower combination and to downsize the vanity, you could eek out another couple feet for each closet.

- Could you carve out another bit of closet elsewhere in the bedroom?

- I would not go with a pocket door. They're ideal for spots where the door stays open 90% of the time -- like a laundry room or a pantry -- but a bathroom door is opened /closed too many times. Add in humidity, and you're going to have to repair /replace that pocket door sooner rather than later.

- Can you have a window in the bathroom? Natural light always makes things nicer.

• chispa
    6 years ago

The shower seems a bit narrow for a master shower.

Can you show the rest of the plan? There might be a better way to rearrange the master suite.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Is the bathroom doorway wide enough to get the tub etc through? Would you have to take the door off? Remember that the door itself takes up some doorway width.

Will the closets have doors? I recommend it. Otherwise you are brushing past your clothes and kicking aside shoes spilling out the bottom every time you go through. There may be only enough room for bifold doors.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

You are back to developing your house plan in a vacumn yet again. You need to develop the entire house, including elevations together. The Bob Ross approach does not work period.........

• bpath
    6 years ago

What is it that you mean by efficient? Having a combo tub-shower is more efficient in that it's one less set of plumbing to purchase, install, and maintain, one less space to clean. It allows you to shrink the size of the bathroom (less air space to condition and less floor to clean), or add more storage, or have a place to hang towels, or enlarge the closets (efficiency of that depends on you).

Adding a window or solatube is energy-efficient in that you do not have to turn on a light every time you enter the bathroom, only at night.

A single sink is efficient because it's less to maintain and allows more counterspace, but if you and SO shave and brush teeth at the exact same time to get out the door in the morning, maybe not so efficient. Changing your routine would be efficient, though.

Efficiency has a lot to do with your personal needs.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

One trough sink

Modern Toronto House · More Info

Japanese soaker style tub adjoining shower

Traditional Bathroom, Austin, TX · More Info

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

Unless you really want and will use a tub.. id get rid of it and add to the closet.