Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraschaecher

Living room design help

saraschaecher
6 years ago
My husband and I just got new furniture, a rug and art for our living room area (part of an open concept floor plan). The room feels unfinished to me. What would you add? Does the small wall need art? If so, would you do a gallery ledge with frames or a large clock or something else entirely? Should I paint my daughters art table in the corner?

Comments (10)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Mirrors should reflect something beautiful or interesting. Double check what is seen in the one over your mantel. Size matters too; art/mirror over the mantel should be no wider than the firebox opening. The trunk pieces are too large and having both of them is certainly overkill. The entire room will feel better if the big art is centered on that wall and the sectional moved to center with it. You can also pull the sectional away from the art wall some so that it relates more to the fireplace. The art table won't be around forever; just move it to a more convenient spot. The rug is pretty boring. Can you use it under the master bed and get something more interesting for this room? Balance and scale is an issue. See the charts below.

• erinsean
    6 years ago

I like your room.....but do think lighter fuller curtains/drapes would look nicer.

• jccrowley73
    6 years ago
    Very pretty start to the room. The final touches & accessorizing can sometimes be the hardest part to completing a room. I do agree that the curtains definitely need to be a lighter & brighter color & fuller & fill more the width of the rod. Since the rug is so understated, you could bring another element in by popping a touch of orange or teal with books or magazines on end table or coffee table. Consider taking one of the plants on the fireplace & putting it on a mirrored tray on the coffee table. A textured or colorful throw on the back of the chair would also add some warmth as you head into that room.
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    6 years ago

I believe for a more layered look maybe add floating shelves with some unique decorative objects on the opposite wall would look nice. Drapes do look too dark, lighten those up. Add a floor lamp to the other side of the sectional

• PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    6 years ago

We recommend adding a chandelier, move the artwork, and adding colorful window treatments.

High-End Open Concept Interior Design · More Info

Opulent Lakeshore Condo Design · More Info

Striking Mississauga Basement & Living Room Remodel · More Info

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    I think it's the curtains that are distracting. More art and a gold arch lamp over by small desk, might be handy over there too if there is room. What colour are your walls
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

The walls seem a bit blue in hue so I have changed them to gray. The table next to the lounge chair is too large so I have reduced it in size.

The drapes on the windows should be navy or gray to work with your colors. I have added a 3D metal decor/candle piece on the empty wall & a tree in the corner.

• loobab
    6 years ago

Hi Sara-

Your room looks very good, it just needs a few tweaks.

Your wall color has no connection to the rest of the colors in the room, I would suggest changing it to a whitish grey or greyish white.

Please change what you have on your mantel, you do not want two matching things. You want three things, of low medium, and taller heights, with two on one side, and the other on the other side.

Your curtain color has no connection to the rest of the room and are very dark. I would change them to a cream color, hung more appropriately as indicated bu another Houzzer.

If you are concerned about blocking light, you can get curtains that are lined, or even with lining and interlining. You can also get low-E film for the windows.

The mirror over the fireplace adds nothing to the room. If you want a mirror, I would add a starburst mirror or a round mirror with an interesting frame. They come with wood, gold, silver, modern, traditional, many styles and sizes.

Here are some examples-

Your rug adds nothing interesting to the room. You can do much better. Please look for something with some color, like an Oriental rug.

Even if you don't want exciting color, you can get something like this-

You don't need to paint your daughter's table.

Is that an adult-sized chair? If so, the round table next to it is just too tall for it, please find another place for that table. If it is a child's chair, well good for you for having a chair for your child, but the table is still too tall, so you need to move it.

Which brings me to the next thing. That trunk-like coffee-table is massive and not really attractive. The side table isn't great either.

Can you move the round side table where the trunk side table is?

Can you get rid of that huge trunk coffee table is?

Options for coffee tables are a coffee table in glass or a large square ottoman in leather with a large sturdy tray on top for drinks and snacks that can also serve as seating for guests.

You can move the square trunk table to the corner where your daughter's art table is, (until you buy a replacement) and move your daughter's table on the side of the window towards the exit of the room. Or in her bedroom.

I would purchase something to put on the blank wall in the living room, either another piece of art, or a wall hanging, or textile art, something three dimensional, something interesting.

See if you can find a place in the room for a large live floor plant like an areca or kentia palm.

• PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 years ago
    I like the suggestion for a light color curtain. let me make a suggestion to you. I think your room isn't missing anything, you have just not placed the furniture optimally to make the room look complete. By placing the sectional in the corner opening out towards the opening, you have created an elusion of a larger space. Don't be afraid to have the sectional not back against a wall. Try repositioning it so that there is an arm of the sectional where the accent chair Currently is placed. This creates an elusion of a border and will section off your space. Move the accent chair to the opposite side where the sectional arm used to be. I like the suggestion of moving the wall art to the wall opposite of the fire place. Move your end table and lamp to wall where sectional was initially. For your mantle decor, skip using identical vases to balance the room, this actually looks odd. Add some texture and variety to your accessories by incorporating different mantle pieces to your liking. In regards to the kids table, I understand the need to have a space for your child. If it has to be there, consider how you can incorporate it into the room...decorative throw pillow on kid chair ? small kid friendly plant? As a parent, I ensure that my design for my own home incorporate my child and that makes us all feel at home. GL