Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nrgbunny

painting kitchen cabinets

nrgbunny
6 years ago
Hi please help me update my kitchen. Please help with painting my cabinets and hardware for them.

Comments (9)

• User
    6 years ago

I would paint the cabinets the lightest color from the countertops. Another big impact would be to replace backsplash with something simple. I wouldn't do any accent tiles and no accent behind the range. It also needs to relate to the stone. Maybe a very creamy subway tile and a slightly darker grout to tie in the counters. If you can't replace the backsplash I would prime and paint right over it. The little dark accent tiles are making it busy. I think your hardware looks good as is. The finish coordinate with the light over the sink. Will you keep the light? You could also go with an ORB color to relate to the counters. Do you have other photos/angles of the space? I would consider replacing the 2" blind with a roman shade. You could buy or make a real functioning one, but if you don't need it for privacy or light control you could make a stationary faux one easy. People have also made functioning roman shades by attaching the fabric to mini blinds. There are many tutorials online for both. Point being, some fabric would help soften the area. Honestly if you're going to paint, I would do an online consult with Maria Killam. It's relatively inexpensive for the correct paint color. I'm not affiliated in any way.

edesign

• User
    6 years ago

There’s nothing wrong with either the cabinets or counters. Leave them alone. Don’t waste your money.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Agree with Sophie. If you want to change anything, I'd change the backsplash and the pulls.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    6 years ago

Agree with the above. The cabinets have a nice color and the counter is unique. All you really have to do to freshen up the area is new paint, new baksplash, annd hardware and you are done.

• friedajune
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Your cabinets are not plain, they have a lot--really a lot--of nooks, angles, and channels. Painting them will be a grueling task, suitable only for the most highly skilled steady hand. Otherwise you will end up with a messy job that will bug you no end. Finding that very skilled person, and that person to be willing to do a small kitchen, will be very difficult, and they will charge probably what it would cost you to replace the cabinets entirely. I'd leave the cabinets alone--really. You can get quite an improved kitchen if you replace the backsplash with something quiet like plain subway tile (no crackling finish, no beveling, just plain), grout that is monochromatic with the tile, and remove what is around/over the window, and remove what is over the stove.

• thetzone
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I really think choosing a new backsplash would breathe new life into your kitchen! Your stone is super cool and unique and the cabinets actually have a really beautiful look!

• cyc2001
    6 years ago

I agree with the other comments - do nothing but change the backsplash to a plain and simple creamy color and you’re done.

• Marci
    6 years ago
    I agree. Don't paint the cabinets--it will be a hot mess. It's the backsplash and that thing above the range that really need to changed out. Oil-rubbed bronze hardware, a new window treatment, updated lighting, a good decluttering, and you're done.