Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edunn12

Two different cabinet colors and two different countertop colors?

Liz
6 years ago
Would installing two different countertop colors work with an espresso island and eggshell perimeter, or is this too much going on for one room?

Comments (42)

• jean1
    6 years ago
    I like the mixture of light and dark. There are many similar photos on this site.
  • Susan Sease
    6 years ago
    It will look great! I just installed Covelano Marble (white) on the perimeter cabinets and Negresco granite (black) on the separate stove area (like an island) and I just love it!
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

Too much imo.

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    I think it would work better with two different materials. Granite/soapstone, marble/ stainless steel, quartz/butcher block, concrete/copper. The same material, in different colors, looks, to me, like you ran out of one color and had to submit another. Different materials looks like a choice, not a mistake.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

If it is just for yourself and you don't plan on ever selling the house, I think it is okay, if you like it.

However, I recommend a more neutral, consistent palette for more expensive, permanent areas like a kitchen remodel. A more consistent kitchen will be easier to decorate around, as well as appeal to more buyers.

Keep in mind also, that there is currently a trend in mixing cabinet finishes and countertops. This trend will fade, eventually.

There will be many posts on here, recommending one way or another.

I would start with the question: what is my goal in doing this? Is it to add interest? There are many ways to add interest. You already have 2 different cabinet finishes. A common countertop will pull it together.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

What is the sparkly thing under the samples in the picture? If you choose counter top colours that aren't too busy (like the samples on top of the cabinet doors), I think it would look good, and far better than using the same counter top colour on two different cabinets. Different colour cabinets aren't my thing, but if you're going for that distinction between the island and the perimeter, then also have distinctive counter tops. I think using the same on both would not look good -- To me, it would look like you made a mistake.

• Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for the feedback — a bit more background to explain my goal: when we bought the house the cabinet colors were already picked ... I always envisioned a marble look in my kitchen, but want quartz for durability... the eggshell cabinets have presented quite an issue with matching a suitable countertop —- any suggestions as to what countertop color works with eggshell, I have really struggled with this. My compromise idea was to put the marble look in the center island (which looks gorgeous with the espresso) and then pick another simple perimeter color that goes with the eggshell to coordinate the look. Appreciate the input!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. If you want a marble "look", then it will likely have a white background. Thus, your dilemma. Are there any choices that have veining, but the background goes well with your cabinets? "Eggshell" can be different tone from brand to brand.

I think you've made a good choice, if you do want to stay with a marble look. It is not like you have a really "out there" color palette.

If you are willing to go more solid, there are obviously many more choices.

• anniebird
    6 years ago
    I think one countertop material will be more attractive than two. Have you looked at Caesarstone? Moorland Fog might look good with both cabinet colors.
  • Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks CDR design — I picked this particular quartz, Carrara Caldia because it had a more “cream” background than all other options I have found, with the intent of it working better with my eggshell cabinets. Here is a photo with the eggshell if I were to put it throughout the entire kitchen. Thoughts?
  • Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Anniebird - I did look at moorland fog and felt it did not work, almost had a green tone to it - I have considered Cambria, Cesearstone, LG Viatera and Q Quartz (MSI)
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    Might look nice with this backsplash
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    Oops - sorry. Cross posts. Hmm. I'll keep thinking:)
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    What about Symphony Grey?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    You would do well with a multi colored granite that would work with both cabinet colors. Check out Icy Brown or similar stone. With the configuration of your kitchen and its general size, i would do one stone for both areas.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Liz, just jumping in here, the background colors in the ones you’ve chosen look too gray to me. I like the carrara caldea and the last one from the left. Can’t see the name on it. What do they look like with the more solid one you had?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

I think the 3 on the right are going to look really busy. The one on the left is too white for your eggshell. That leaves #2 and #3. I think the Carrara Caldia, #3 is leaning too busy also, and maybe a little too gray. What is the name of #2? That is looking good.

• richfield95
    6 years ago

The Carrara Caldia is pretty, but in your picture it looks gray next to your cream cabinets

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    A great option is quartzite Mother of Pearl if you want lighter tone. It is pricey but you don’t have that much countertop.
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    I think the Carrera Caldia works too:)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

https://www.msistone.com/quartz-countertops/calacatta-laza-quartz/

Calacatta Laza has a milkier background and the veining is more taupy. Did you look at that one?

• Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Cdr design — #2 is Frosty Carrina (Cesearstone), this was my top choice before placing it with my eggshell cabinet. Also looked at the large slab of calacatta laza yesterday because I also thought the taupy veining may work) and although It was gorgeous, it looked very white against my eggshell... hence the dilemma I am currently in :(
  • Sammy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment to use the white marble-looking quartz shown in your original photos on both the island and the perimeter cabs. Edit: I’d use the one on the far left:

• Sammy
    6 years ago

Looking very white against the eggshell is a good thing, in my opinion.

• Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    CDR design —
  • Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Sammy, interesting! Far left is Cambria Torquey. So you like the contrast of bright white with eggshell? I feel like I have a whole village that has told me NO to that thought — my builder, the cabinet maker and the countertop distributor. Refreshing to hear a different opinion!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    If you do the Laza on the island with Jet Mist granite or soapstone on peripheral cabinets that works really well too. Laza with your cream cabinets will not be best choice. What sink are you planning?
  • Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Flo mangan for the suggestions — sink will just be undermount stainless steel, wide and deep
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

It looks like you have done a thorough search. I would stay away from the white background against the eggshell cabinets. Are you willing to look at something other than a marble look?

• Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am open to anything that will make this space amazing, it certainly has the potential (this is why I feel so much pressure to make he right choice here) — part of my intention of the post was to gain different perspective and suggestions as to what may work. I need the durability and low maintenance of quartz or granite as I have three children under 6 and we love to spend time in the kitchen.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

I would choose a more solid color countertop and then an amazing backsplash. What other elements are visible in the space. Example, do you have a stack-stoned fireplace nearby?

• charaj00
    6 years ago
    If the cabinet style is the same but one is white and the other is dark, that works for me. Same for the counter... keep the pattern of the stone the same but get one light and the other dark. Then, swap your window treatments and linens seasonally to match one or the other!
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    The yellow undertone in your perimeter cabinets is making it hard to find a white to match so you might solve your dilemma most easily by embracing the dark coffee color (with red undertones) of the island in the countertops. The paint color on the walls looks good with both cabinet colors; it's taupe-y, I believe. I still think one surface material would be best for this space.

Lagos Blue is worth looking at, though I'm not sure it would provide enough contrast with your island. Might look at Ginger too.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

If you are willing to go with Granite, I would consider what is commonly called. River White Granite. It goes well with off-white cabinets as well as espresso. It is not too busy.

Kitchen · More Info

• Liz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Cdr design — tried to find white river granite at our distributor and could not — I am pressed for time as well, builder wants decision this week! Included pics of family room and morning room off kitchen, open floor plan. The rest is blank slate
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

River White is a common name for it, but could is named differently at different quarries. If you like it, you could ask for something similar.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

You might also try Arandis granite (again, might be called another name by your fabricator). It has some muted gold tones, grey, taupe, cream tones and also has some espresso). It looks like your fireplace stone might have some lighter taupy tones. It comes off as a neutral. I think it would go well with your fireplace stone. Do you have a closer photo of the fireplace stone?

Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    ANN HENDERSON INTERIORS
    6 years ago

This is going to be a lovely kitchen. As you know, black and white (or dark espresso and white) provides great contrast and a bit of tension in a space. To ground this and keep things light and airy I would recommend the same countertop in a white/silvery natural vein. The sample that you placed atop the dark cabinet door seems to work really well. Not sure the color of the white, how creamy, but there is a Turkish Carrara that is very warm and lovely. From marble there is a natural Thunder marble that is hard and veined but a bit more like granite with the flecks in it. From Silestone I love the subtle cloudiness of Blanco Orion. If you want a bit more drama you can get away with it should you choose dekton Aura which has some great veining. Good luck!

• ileslie2
    6 years ago
    What color is your trim? It looks white. Then white would look fine on your counters. They probably aren’t going to be bare. Once you put a coffee pot and what have you on the counters it tones them down. I also like the contrast. Think about what you like, not what the builder likes.
  • PRO
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    6 years ago

I prefer the idea of two if they are different materials...for example a copper or brushed stainless island top and marble countertop. If they are both stones, i advise using the same. What bothers me in this kitchen is that awkward space between the tops of the cabinets and the ceiling. I suggest you have the cabinets raised to the ceiling and add open shelving below or add a crown molding the fill in the space,

• Jora
    5 years ago

Liz, I'm in the same situation as yours and trying to decide. Can you please let me know what you decided on? Thanks!