Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisecole

Please help me choose an exterior color for our new home!

Denise
6 years ago
Here are our plans. We’re thinking Nantucket grey, but wonder if blue-black or creamy white would be better. Surroundings are a hay field and forest, snow Nov-Apr. interior will be white and warm wood. Thank you!!!!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

What's your thinking on the use of different materials -- stone and B&B?

Why is one part stone and the rest B&B?

You need to consider all exterior materials together -- roof, trim, siding, stone.

• Denise
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The stone is on the plans because we were originally going for this look, but now I’m not sure about the stone, a) because it may be too hard to find a perfect pairing and b) because I think it only works with the blue-black. It’s veneer so can be swapped out for b/b or shakes. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I'd use the stone on the visible parts of the foundation, B&B elsewhere.

Posting images of your stone choices will help with color selections.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

I like the combo you posted. Looks nice and not run of the mill.

• PRO
    Rubios Stone Works Llc
    6 years ago
    Stone veneer is a good choice because its maintenance free and a fireproof material.
  • ILoveRed
    6 years ago

What is the siding? It took me months and about 20 samples to decide on "Burnt Hickory" in Cabot solid stain on our cedar siding. It is not brown but sometimes appears to be. Other times it looks an inky gray. It looks good with our stone which is (I think) Harvest Mix from Earth Works in St. Louis.

yours would look good very dark with a carefully chosen stone.

love your house....not sold on the columns.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The siding color needs to work with all the other elements not decided in a vacuum so share all those choices and then ask again. BTW in your pic IMO the stone and the dark gray do not work together.Maybe something like these combos would be better

• Denise
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The columns are load-bearing so need to stay. Is it the stone you think doesn’t look right, @Ilovered?

I was going to choose a general colour for the siding first because it’s the main colour and then match a custom colour to roofing, trim, and stone.
  • Denise
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Patricia,
    That top image you sent from Serenbe is one of my inspiration images as well. Trying to decide between that aesthetic or this one. Which works better with the lines of our house in your opinion?
  • ILoveRed
    6 years ago

I'm not an architect or a designer ....just a lowly poster but something about the stone on the bottom and the weightiness. I could be totally off. Maybe one of the architects here or designers will weigh in on the columns.

i chose my stone first. Then I chose my siding color to complement the stone. But, I had no choice as we had to have the stone months before the house project started.

I would have done it the same way ...stone first.