Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wsea

living room redo/layout help

wsea
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
hello, I have been a reader for awhile now and have occasionally commented. I have also been wanting to redo our entrance, living and dining areas for a very long time. I'm tired of the temporary furniture that has been around loooong term! that being said its going to be a long process for us as we switch out our cheap furniture for items I want long term.

essentially I want layout suggestions for the whole space, but immediately I need suggestions on media furniture. currently we have a old Tube TV and cabinet. we are being given an generous gift if a new flat screen TV so my first purchase will be a media console.

My plan is to get the linear cabinet from Room and Board (59 " long) and put it on the wall in the first photo (the wall with the current TV cabinet). beyond that any suggestions? I think one sofa and one chair is all we can hold in this tiny space. I have attached pictures of the space and and a dimensions layout. as you can see its a small space (1950s!)

Comments (46)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    A floor plan would be useful in furniture arrangement ideas.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the last photo is the dimensions, but I see now they are hard to make out. the right side with the picture window and the door opening is the front of the house. that wall is 18' 4" including the door opening. the wall at the bottom of the photo is the longest in this space and is 23' 3" this is the wall I want to put the media console on as well as the wall that has the dining table up against it. the open rectangle in the middle of the drawing is actually a closet. that section divides the living room from the kitchen which is quite small and is accessed via the opening across from the long wall (dining table) Hope this clarifies the layout a bit.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    would it be odd to have the media console with a chair perpendicular to it and then a small end table in the space between the chair and console?
  • jmiaromero
    10 years ago
    We have a similar small room and chose to mount our television on the wall. Have you considered this? You can then add an upholstered bench below for additional seating or a cabinet or even an electric fireplace.
  • blrussell
    10 years ago
    I think you should move the table from against the wall. Looks like you could move it out a foot and still have plenty of pass way room. Not having it crammed against the wall will actually make the area appear bigger. If you are keeping the track lights I suggest you get the newer smaller ones....some lights can be exchanged without changing the track..( although some of the newer lights will not fit and a whole new system would have to be installed).
  • blrussell
    10 years ago
    There are corner consoles made for flat screens if you like the floor arrangement as it is now.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I should have added that we hope to move the TV into a bedroom in the next year or so (as soon as the oldest gets their own place :)). so this layout will be somewhat temporary. for the dining room I hope to put a buffet against the blank wall. the track lighting definitely needs to go, though I think I want to replace it with a newer track (more modern) as when we have friends over we turn the dining table and extend it. we have fit up to 18 for a sit down dinner by removing the orange chair and extending the table into the living room.

as an update the flat screen arrived yesterday. so we definitely need to buy a console very soon. any thoughts on a console with an end table next to it, with the chair perpendicular to the console?
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bought the Linear from Room and Board in cherry. 74 inches long. Our TV is 46 inches. originally we were going to get the 59 inch one but it seemed off balance with a 46inch TV. I'll post a picture once it arrives. I hope we are not making a huge mistake with the size.

any feedback on putting a table at the end of the console with a chair perpendicular to the console?
  • jmiaromero
    10 years ago
    If you choose to place a table at the end, I would use something that is not blocky. Maybe a simple, small round table that will hold a cup of coffee and a book or something. I think with all the large rectangular furniture you have on that side, a big square end table would be too much. A clear acrylic table would be fun, or something non-table, like a barrel or tipped trunk. Or a cylindrical basket with a lid that you could set a round tray on.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    so I am thinking about replacing my black ottomans with the brown Felix ottomans from kasala (the dark brown ones) thoughts? would that be better than black?

http://kasala.com/sale-events/#/16/

also we have been looking at end tables, we like the tyne from room and board because it has thin legs and lines, except we also want a shelf midway down and we don't want to spend over $700 for this table. I have been searching online and at stores near my office but can't find anything to fit this bill.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hello all! The TV and the media console are now both here. I ended up going for the larger 74" media console as I felt the dimensions worked better for the size of the tv.

no I need help with the are around the tv and also need suggestions for an end table for the orange chair. The chair will be replaced someday but not anytime soon.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    The orange chair looks great with the console, actually! What do you not like about the end table?
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks Abbyjean. I love the console too.

as far as the table etc.. I want to start getting furniture that is a better quality, a lot of what we have was meant to be temporary but has been around for a long time. that end table was my dining table in my first apartment 20 years ago! obviously its been modified a bit but is big, 30" square. the dining table was a temp purchase 15 years ago. so now I want to buy only things I love, not just things that meet the basic functional requirements.

I also want to get rid of all the dark wood pieces and start buying wood pieces that show wood grain etc,..

so back to the table, I'm not sure on dimensions etc... the console is 16 ' deep. I think I need a table for a lamp, drinks, books for when reading in that chair.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    oh i'll definitely try the picture over the vases. thanks! it was left on the wall there from the old layout.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Gotcha! Thanks for all that and I love that you KNOW what you want. Nice to now be able to buy what you LOVE! There comes a time when we can say....we have earned it!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Yes, a table has a big job and you NEED it for all the reasons mentioned, which means it needs SOME substance, too. I might even suggest a circle or oval since the rectangle from the tv and console are right there. The chair has pretty straight lines, too. Just a thought!
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok I love this table but the price is too much. $800 for the walnut finish. http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/roomandboard/?layer=0&src=687642_wood_W&layer=comp&$truvu0$&wid=321

also found this at dania

http://www.daniafurniture.com/shop_image/product/4583-tibro-round-end-table-honey-med.png

should I match the cherry of the console or can I pick a wood or material?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    This will be a cop-out answer, but if the table is going to stay where this one is, I would love to see it match the wood of the console.......but I can see metal legs working, too. BUT MY FLIPPIN' GOSH......those tables you just pointed out.......to die for!!!!!! Your room needs a statement piece like those. Can you find THOSE cheaper??????
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the second one is actually more of the price range I want (its listed at 329) I think I'll go look at in person. I do love the shape of the first one though. its listed at 600 in cherry. still too much for me to stomach spending on an end table.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Well, that second one is awesome, too, and that price is so much better! Good idea to GO and check it out!
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 years ago
    Center the new console on the wall so that you have room for another smaller scaled club chair or armless chair in the corner near the window. Eliminate the large square side table next to the club chair and replace with a small round occasional table and a floor lamp. You will also need a small (12" round or square table next to the new chair. This will all make for a more inviting conversation area as well as for TV watching. Consider one rectangular ottoman in front of the sofa instead of two smaller ones. The ottoman can double as a coffee table with a large tray. You can add a narrow rectangular or oval side table at the end of the sofa. In the dining
    area I would eliminate the track lighting and install a pendant over the center of the table. Eventually consider replacing the chairs with semi or fully upholstered chairs that are more complimentary to your living room furniture. Since the spaces are open to one another the furnishings need to be harmonious which will also make the space appear larger. Leave the table cloth off unless entertaining . It will have a cleaner uncluttered look. Add a large print, painting or mirror on the wall over the dining table.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks Tres McKinney. its hard to tell but the console can't be centered between the wall and window because of the heater. right now it is centered to the couch. we can't shift it further to the right because there would be no pathway to get past. this is a very tiny space. we also use the two individual ottomans as extra seating when we have parties. but I like the idea of leaving them side by side when not entertaining to make a larger statement.

I totally agree on the dining area. we definitely want to tackle that. I was looking at a console from west elm for that back wall. I think we'll purchase a buffet first because its not a replacement to something but a piece that is missing.

I also agree on the light over the dining table. i'm at a loss as to what to do there. the ceilings are low, plus when we entertain we often turn the table and add an extension to seat more people, so not sure how to handle the lighting. while the track lighting is ugly! right now it works for both configurations. any suggestions?

oh for the couch. I was thinking of getting a more streamlined sofa that was about 75" so I could add side tables. right now its 86" and then getting rid of the sofa table to help open the entry up more. would this work or would that many pieces in a small space seem cluttered?
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks Abbyjean. I'm going to try and get away away at work today and check the second one out. that store is one block from work.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Sounds like a plan AND almost like it is meant to be!!! Get this one extra "job" done and you will be ready to tackle another room.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Stainless steel and glass table, modern lamp, drapes:
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok went and looked at the second table. I liked it but I don't think any of the finishes will work. there were three options, honey , Belgian oak and charcoal. Plus I really like the shape of the first one.

Groveraxle-I like the look of the example you added . any chance you have a picture of one with a shelf in it? Thanks for moving my painting for me! its nice to see that it would help balance the space out.

your example also raises another question for me. floor lamp or table lamp? i'm worried about that space getting crowded and I'm not sure which would look less cluttered.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Back after being away for a few days..

Groveraxle- I like the clarimont (the thinness of it) but I want to stay away from glass.

found this on C&Bs website. would this work or is it to heavy/dark?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/echelon-round-side-table/s666940

it doesn't speak to me as much but its metal and has the shelf I want.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Can you bring it home and try it in the space? I like the look of it with the inserts on your tv console.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    searching craiglist as I have not been able to get out to the stores. found this end table. I like it a lot, but i'm thinking it might be too square. it was suggested earlier to go round or oval. plus this is a glass top which I wanted to avoid, but the price is fantastic!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fuo/3978611233.html
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Seriously? SNATCH IT UP! I think it was meant to be! If you do not love it, is there another room it could go in? OR you can relist it for MORE money!
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok, its been on hold for a while. though we did hand some artwork around. I'll post pictures as soon as possible with that. I have been cruising craigslist for buffets, end tables etc.. but nothing so far. I did find this end table and I am wondering what you guys think? this would replace the very large square black table between the chair and the new media console? nothing expensive but it doesn't look cheap either (minus the wheels which I think we would simply not attach).
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok so Husband didn't like the cheap end table. however I did find this buffet, which I have always wanted on the wall past the dinning table.

http://www.westelm.com/products/mid-century-media-console-large-h418/?pkey=cconsoles-media-storage-cabinets&cm_src=consoles-media-storage-cabinets||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

this would fill up the whole wall though. should I look for something a bit shorter in length?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Underneath the pics there? And it will fit ok and not block the window? Then it is perfect!!!

Any way that table could move away from the wall? It just looks shoved up against it and it seems like there is room for it? I would not worry about where to place it with the lights. Maybe even try a chair on each side of it.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    that's the spot. it will not block the windows. I wonder if it is tall enough though. its the same height as most dining tables, would that look odd? also at some point I plan on replacing the dinning table but I need to focus on the areas I feel have missing pieces first.

i'll try moving the table away from the wall and posting a picture. my husband likes it the way it is now. we also rearranged some artwork now that we have the console, i'll post some updated shots of those. No dramatic changes but I think it looks decent.

also we had an idea to replace the tracked lighting with an new T-shaped track and have drop pendants that could be moved around. this would allow us to center the lights over the table no matter what position it is in. is that a totally weird idea? we turn the table and extend it when we have guests over.

do they even make tracks that are T shaped?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    SMART move with your new lights. I love knowing how many ways they will work. I never thought about worrying about the height of the console and the table. Hmm........but things on top will give it height.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Otherwise......could the table go right off the kitchen and be by a window instead of a wall and the new console between the
    windows?
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    interesting idea! but we have heaters running down that whole length of wall. the space between the windows is only about 45 inches wide.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    so that walkway is not as wide as it appears. I moved the table out only 8 inches from the wall. the walkway then is only 40 inches wide. of course my son is running back and forth trying to slide down that space in his socks while i'm attempting this :)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I just looked at your first pic again and noticed the heaters. DARN! BUT I keep thinking how nice it would be to sit at the table and look out a window instead of at the wall.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree abby. we had at one point discussed building a banquet in that corner many years ago, but it seems like it might limit us too much functionality-wise. of course then the house was different then. That wide hallway past the kitchen is all new. it used to be a narrow doorway that went down three steps into very small mudroom. we opened the doorway up raised the floor and added on a master suite.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Added on a master suite.......nice!
    I agree that a banquet limits a lot of options. I like a table and chairs and yours is a nice size, too.
  • wsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks abbyjean.

i'm going to see if I can get to the west elm store this week or next weekend.

do you have any suggestions for a lamp beside the tv and chair? I was thinking floor lamp, but i'm not sure that's the right direction.

PS. I have the table sitting about 8 inches off the wall. I like it this way. DH is fine leaving it like that. the funny thing though is our oldest pushed it back against the wall when we were out. said she liked having the wall next to her when she eats :) its been moved out again and will stay that way while I decide on it. i'm going to try and get pictures posted of the room this week.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I think a floor lamp is a great idea for by the chair. It will give some height and a little division to that area, too.
    Funny with the table....kids just have their comfort zones, don't they!