Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Looking for a good, healthy climber that will bloom

SoFL Rose z10
6 years ago

Hello all!

I have had trouble with climbers. I’ve tried pleanty of climbers that were supposed to be good only to have them either not grow, or grow like gangbusters but not bloom. For example:

Eden: huge healthy plant, got about 6 blooms this spring, no repeat.

Florentina: huge and healthy, got about 5 blooms last spring, one so far this spring (btw my “spring” starts around first week of February).

Sombreuil: has stayed the same exact size of a band for over a year. No winter or frost here, just refuses to grow.

Same goes for the following ‘climbers’: aloha, jasmina, kiss me Kate, zepherine D, Nahema, collette. All of these have been growing for 2-3 years and are just tiny twigs not 2 feet tall. Nahema is a bit bigger, but not vigorous per say.

Papi Delbard and was another non blooming monster. I cut it back hard to try and get some bloom and it didn’t recover.

shropshire lad, wedgewood, St Swithun, none grew to be climbers and eventually died.

The only climbers I have had success with are Prosperity and Spirit of Freedom. Teasing a Georgia has also been good, but not a lot of bloom. I recently planted crepsicle and so far it seems promising.

I have a new arbor with space for 2 climbers I already have 4 spirit of freedom and 2 teasing Georgia so I wanted something new there.

I like old fashioned full blooms and soft colors but I will do deep pink. no red or purple but open to other colors.

I just want health, vigor and blooms. Am I asking for too much?

Comments (36)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Don Juan blooms constantly! (I know you said no red but he's so great..fragrant too) Also Madame Alfred Carriere, Devoniensis Cl, & Crepuscule bloom a ton. Olivia Austin can be grown as a climber and blooms all the time.

Probably half the roses I grow are climbers, these are the most healthy and prolific right now. I have many that are still small.

Oh also, Raspberry Cream Twirl blooms a lot. Its also thornless.

My Sombreil Cl literally sat for 2 yrs. This spring it took off and grew to almost 7ft in a few mos.

I have a new 4 leg large arbor..I am cramming it with climbers. I put 2 TG's, 2 Olivias, MAC, White maman Cochet Cl, Maman Cochet pink CL, and a moonvine and a Belotti passiflora..lol. I know I may need to move some. I am gonna see who performs and looks the best. I already know MAC is a winner but I may move her later to a tree I want to cover. Olivia is staying!. My 2 Maman Cochets are still babies. I will probably only leave one there once they get bigger because they are monsters.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks sultry. I do have a Don Juan, recently purchased, but I grew it before so I know it’s a good rose. I just think red will clash with crepsicle which I have growing on the other side of the arbor. I’m interested in MAC. I’ve eyed this rose before so I may look into it.

• needmoremulch
    6 years ago

Reve d'Or or Cl. White Maman Cochet - if it is a large, sturdy arbor?

• ebharvey1
    6 years ago

Lady Ashe or Awakening.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    6 years ago

I second the Cl,., Maman Cochet. For something a little different (single petaled) Secret Garden Musk Climber.

Gloire de Dijon http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=21.77042

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

SoFLrose

I just planted Florentina and Quicksilver . I will give them a few months , if they dont perform I 'll have to s/p them because they are in prime spots right now . My Nahema is in it's second year and very vigorous 7-8 ft tall but it only has scattered blooms .

• K S
    6 years ago

Crepuscule sounds like it is going to be great for you. In Florida you can probably grow some spectacular, heat-loving climbing teas and tea-noisettes (like the Cochets, Cl. Devoniensis, Reve d'Or, as mentioned by others above). You might even be able to grow the infamously difficult Marechal Niel! (If so, I am extremely jealous!). Have you seen the pictures of Daisy's Marechal Niel that she grows in Crete? Wow. If not, you can find them on the Antique Roses forum. Others you might check out: Lamarque, Alister Stella Gray, Gloire de Dijon (warning: gets black spot and has a difficult reputation, but the one High Country Roses sells is supposed to good) and Madame Berard/Adam.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pink, I’m giving my Florentinas time, but they should be three year old plants by now. They were large bare roots when I purchased them. Ironically enough the own root ones are doing better than the one grafted on fortuniana. Here is a pic.

See the one sad little bloom on the left?

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

I have had the same issue as you...climbers that just grow and don’t bloom. I wonder if diet could help. These year, I have severely cut down the amount of nitrogen I gave to my reluctant bloomers, Eden and Westerland. I have them plenty of bone meal for phosphorus, plus sul po mag for potassium. I also watered them with lots of Carl Pool (high phos fertilizer with trace elements.) They did NOT get Osmocote, Milorganite or Mills Liquid Feed (higher nitrogen products) like the rest of my roses. I decided that Westerland could either bloom or die of phosphorus poisoning, lol.

I have over 100 buds on Westerland, and several hundred on Eden. I don’t know if they just ‘came of age’ (Eden is 1 year, Westerland 4 in my garden), if weather is right, or if its their diet change. I’m inclined to think diet helped.

SoFL Rose z10 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

SoFL rose

Love the antique fountain ! They look good & healthy but maybe they are root bound and need a bigger pot ?

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

Ben T

That is a good idea , about not feeding the climbers too much nitrogen . I think I will try it with my 2 year Nahema .

6 years ago

Your fountain is so pretty!

Marechal Niel does awesome here. The yellow is soft not harsh. Its my favorite yellow!

Devoniensis CL has the glowiest flowers..they look lit from within. Sometimes more blush pink sometimes more cream yellowish but they always glow. The prickles are red and the new growth blushed. Both MN and Devoniensis blooms nod. I love that because they look down at you from their trellises.

SoFL Rose z10 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

Florence Bower's Pink Tea is also a beautiful pink climber. Mine is still a baby but has made a few blooms.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

SoFlRose, I only grow one you have, Florentina, but as I didn't get any blooms last year you're ahead of the game. Mine is OR from ARE. However, I have seen a mature speciment of this plant and it is a blooming monster. I strongly suspect it wants a bigger pot or to go in the ground. I'm also not sure that space can support 2 Florentinas. I might guess this is a rose that prefers the North, but Rachel Cross is in Fl (or maybe Tx) and grows it well. I know you saw (and commented on) this thread last year, but here's a reminder of this beast! :
    /florentina-frenzy

P.S. I'm also growing MAC and think it would do well for you in terms of vigor and BS. However, the flowers are not the huge blooms you seem to like. I've not read of anyone growing Viking Queen in your area, but she's a vigorous fragrant beauty in my 6b zone and started blooming from the first as a grafted plant.

P.P.S. If Cl. Pinkie does well in your area, it also started blooming for me right out of the gate. Thinking on this, if your spot is under the eaves, Cl. Clotilde Soupert has done fabulously as a first year plant. All these are very vigorous and healthy in terms of BS.

6 years ago

Now that Soflrose has me thinking... or it was that combined with the coffee. Blossomtime could be lovely and I think it performs well where there could be some disease pressure.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sultry, that marechal Neil is calling my name. I’ve been eying that one ever since you posted it on another post a while back.

My florentinas are in pretty huge pots. They don’t look it in the pics but the containers are about 2.5 feet tall by 2 feet wide. I don’t think they are pot bound, at least not yet, but Im certainly am thinking they are outgrowing their space.

Thing is, I have one also in the ground and it’s not doing anything. It’s on fortuniana. I cut it back hard because that one I wanted to grow like a Bush and it’s somewhat stalled out now. :(

that one doesn’t bother me as much though, because it’s not in such a prominent place as these two.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

I can't really give my input but climbers will be in a few years Bec I need more time to install my fence and learn more so far I only have Peggy Martin .

But, referring to Desertgarden advise/ suggestions, I have seen Secret Garden Musk Climber. It is very eye-catching. It is simple but beautiful.

There were so many climbers with tons of buds but I can't quite remember the names of roses. Don Juan is beautiful and Devoniensis too. A few that I do remember..lol

Marechal Neil looks absolutely stunning and beautiful. I am eyeing on that also. SoFl, go for it. You will be so happy with that rose. Have a feeling, no regrets :)

Above suggestions are great also M. chochets, Reve d' or and so many ...

Jin

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

erasmus gw

Wow spectacular blooms ! especially love Harlekin & Fields of wood .your soil & climate must be excellent .how do you fertilize your climbers ?

6 years ago

Ppl seem to love it or hate it... but Zephrine Drouhin....I have seen it look spectacular.

6 years ago

erasmus, I'm floored! I have a few you grow and can only dream they'll look like that. What zone are you in again? Please share your secrets!

6 years ago

Don't get Laguna! Continous black spot and it will snatch you bald headed if you get near it lol.

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I have a new Laguna ...so far so good. Thank you, vaporvac and pink rose. I'm in zone 7a. I dunno...I used to add truckloads of leaf compost every spring, and when I first made my beds I added horse manure and compost. I add manure when I can. But some of my roses did pretty well before the yearly compost, so I guess my soil is pretty good in some ways. It is easy to dig, so easy for roots to penetrate, but it drains fast and in summer can get terribly dry. I have a nearby rose friend whose soil had a lot more clay in it and held moisture better. I think many of his plants were way better than mine but not all. Some plants just like a certain location. Some of my plants are doing well, some are declining, some never have done well. I'm getting a little old to want to add a load of compost every year even if I did still have a truck.

I have often but not always fed mine a Tone in the spring like Holly , Rose, or Plant Tone, especially for younger plants. I often throw out some alfalfa. Then I give some a time release food like Scotts Rose Food, and the last few years I've just bought some 10-10-10 because it's cheaper.

Last year I fed them with 10-10-10 several times during the season for the first time and I did get better rebloom, but kind of doubt I'll do it this year because it could be too much for the soil. I am not using 10-10-10 this spring, just tones and alfalfa and maybe later some time release, but I think I'll feed one dose of 10-10-10 after the spring flush. I don't have a sprinkler set up and don't water established plants much at all but do water newer plants by hand. We live on the east side of mountains which is dryer than the west side. But we get more rain than some parts of the country. I might feed a new plant in the ground some Miracle Grow now and then. Have tried fish food or Neptune's Harvest or kelp but didn't notice any improvement. I'm going to try alfalfa tea for the first time this year. Been putting my coffee grounds out on some by my front door.

Looking forward to trying Quick Silver, Cl. Butterscotch, and Lavender Crush this year. Another one that's looking promising is Penny Lane. Won top plant award I think in the UK one year. Was blah for the first year but gorgeous last fall. I did not mention any once bloomers and ramblers...many I like a lot. In FL it should be possible to grow some beautiful tender ones..I have not tried Belle Portugaise or Madame Caroline Testout but would if I was in your zone. I don't know if you'd need plants grafted on Fortuniana in your area. I bet Pam Greenewald at Angel Gardens or Cydney at Rose Petals could have some advice on good ones for FL. Malcolm Manners also.

My Parade plant has been decimated from cold. Fields of the Wood has held up well in the cold. Its other name is Rhode Island Red so guess it came from cold country.

• DVS inFL (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Erasmus...wow wow wow!!!

Beautiful is too mild of a word. Extremely awesome is more like it.

6 years ago

FotW is on my wish list. I think it's a Brownell rose. From where did you buy yours? That's disappointing to hear Parade suffered in your zone as I thought she was good to Z5. ARE has MCT listed for Z6. I got her last year and kept her in a pot over the winter. We'll see how she does once she's planted out. Her flowers are epitomize sweetness. Another one I'm growing in a pot (for the time being) is Setina. She oozes charm with her precious little flowers blooming all along her canes. Honestly climbers are my favorites and your are an inspiration! Cl. Butterscotch is about my favorite rose that I'm sure I could never grow.

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

New climbers growing well but not blooming just need more time for the wood to mature. Climbers remaining small is another matter, a cultural issue. Haven't read every word of the discussion but if O.P. has all of them in pots that could be a big part of the problem. With larger root runs, associated conditions (moisture, temperature etc.) being needed for them to produce large vigorous tops.

6 years ago

Eramus, Holly Molly, your roses are beautiful. So many blooms..just wow.

Somehow, I had Fields of Wood written in my journal for climbers as must have list. I think it was yours that I saw. They all are beautiful.

I am marking a lot as bookmark..I am going to need it. Great advice :)

Jin

• ljsemar
    6 years ago

My best climbers are Crepuscule, which is a most lovely apricot color and Climbing Pinkie. Climbing Pinkie doesn't have the most beautiful blooms but it is an absolute beast! Peggy Martin is also looking like it is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

• needmoremulch
    6 years ago

I wonder if the issue with some of your climbers not blooming is the low number of chill hours you get in south Florida, which is why I think maybe the climbing old teas or tea-noisettes would do better for you.

SoFL Rose z10 thanked needmoremulch
  • suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

Clotilde Soupert is wonderful. I have her planted under the eve of my house.

My Cl. America blooms really well and is pretty healthy considering the blazing SW of the house corner it occupies.

My Solfatere is very healthy and likes to bloom. Delicious scent.

• suncoastflowers
    6 years ago

Jin I *almost* picked up Fields of Woods from Rose Petals. It was highly recommended by them. It's on my list of future purchases.

6 years ago

Flowers, that is awesome. I was inquiring whether it even grows here. Can't get info only on HMF but 9 b is always a cut off zone. I prefer safer zones like 10 to be certain. It is good to know it can. It has large blooms and be used for cut flowers.

Jin

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I agree with Embothrium...climbers often will not bloom as much until they're a size they want to be. You have some huge plants with few blooms...I bet they will eventually bloom if you give it more time. What do you feed them? Maybe they're getting too much nitrogen. The small plants of course are not going to put on a big show. I'd figure out why they're still small. IMO planting a very small plant in the ground is not as reliable as planting it in a pot and growing it on awhile until it has a bigger root system. If it just sits there in the ground I'd pot it back up and see if it doesn't get bigger.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Erasmus, yes I think thats a good idea. I've been doing that. I pulled out my Aloha and will see if it does better in a pot. If it takes off then I will put it in the ground.

I do wonder if not having enough winter chill doesnt allow certain roses to bloom. Its not the case with many but maybe certain climbers need more cold to really produce. I hope not, because thats the one thing I really have no control over.

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

SoFLrose

I put my Florentina in the ground recently and it started to throw some long canes. It is small but I want to put her in a round support . How tall is your trellis for her ?