Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisal

Messed up on house exterior selection please help me fix it

daisal
6 years ago

Please find below picture for my house exterior. I need some suggestions how can i fix it. Should I repaint the stones to some other color? for it to look better. Or if there is anything else can do then.Please help me. Main color is guantlet grey for stkoo the trim is mason blanch and the shingels are peppercorn color. Please help me fix it.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Stone can be stained, I wouldn't attempt to paint it unless you find a company who specializes in that.

daisal thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What color would look good to paint all into 1 color? This is what was selected

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My garage door is almond and all the trim that appears white is all mason blanche and we dont have anything white on the exterior. We do have rookwood dark red main door

• Snaggy
    6 years ago

I don't see the problem with the stone ? just paint the body of the house

• User
    6 years ago

Remove the shake. It is too similar in scale to the stone. Replace it with matching stucco.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

That's why I said............ the stucco isn't the issue. It is the siding, Paint the siding as the stucco. Then judge. Agree it could have been stucco quite nicely. But in any scenario it is at the moment...too blue and cool. Your eye sees color by comparison. Take another photo with the garage door down as well............I fear that is a lot of contrast for the house size and elevation. Rather begs for a wooden stained door.

daisal thanked JAN MOYER
  • gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    6 years ago

JAN MOYER is 100% correct. The stone gives interest, why would you consider painting it? Get rid of that (blue) siding, the color is totally off.

daisal thanked gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

Agree...listen to Jan.

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oh okay I understood now by siding you mean the peppercorn coloured area and not the trim. I wasnt aware about the terms used. They did not have the same color as the stuccko when we had made the selections for shingles, but this sounds good. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jan I appreciate your advice and one more question Will the siding with the same color as stucco that is gauntlet grey look better or the dorian grey would look better. Or marooned color ? as it matches the stones.

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

Read again Jan's first post. She tells you exactly what you need to do. A straight-on photo of your home, in daylight, upload to any of the paint suppliers websites and find the correct shade. You can do this because you recognized it doesn't look "right".

daisal thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Please listen? Paint the shingle siding AS YOUR STUCCO IS NOW. Then judge. Paint can not be selected online, or from a photo. . I guarantee you will see the offensive look solved if you listen.. If you want more perfection than that? Perhaps a shade lighter and warmer ( Dorian?) for all stucco and siding. But !! Please Try the EASY thing first. Spend money instead, on a wooden stained garage door. : )

grrrrr.r........lol

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay understood thank you Jan. I appreciate your suggestion and will listen. Will post a picture after fixing it. Thank you very much.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Just to confirm that you're on the right track... Everything Peppercorn will be painted Gauntlet Grey, right?

I wonder if the sheen of the shingles is also contributing to the weirdness. You might try to get the same sheen on the shingle paint that is existing on the stucco.

By the way, I think the (edited: Gauntlet Gray) looks really good with your stone and that Jan's suggestion is all you'll need to do to make this look right.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Good lord dear people! Don't confuse it or the poor OP? The stucco is "Gauntlet" . The offensive siding is "Peppercorn". Peppercorn needs to go bye bye. Paint the (**& peppercorn siding to Gauntlet exactly as the stucco , and come back when finished. : ) double grrrrrrr ggrrrrrr hahahahha

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Jan! I said, "Everything Peppercorn will be painted Gauntlet Grey." I corrected my last paragraph. I think the Gauntlet Grey looks great with the stone.

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone.I understand now. I will post a picture after this is done. Thank you!

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Picture after garage door is closed and better light. I still have to get the siding paint change done. Its not done yet.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Failing a wood/stained garage door, which is the best solution................you are going to have to paint that garage door too. Gauntlet.

daisal thanked JAN MOYER
  • suezbell
    6 years ago

Congrats on new house.

Please don't paint the stone.

Would probably pick one of the medium shades of color from the stone and paint all the painted exterior siding surfaces of the house, including the garage door, the same color -- except, of course, the white fascia and trim.

Is the small single center upstairs window a bathroom? Perhaps you could create the look of an arch atop it using your exterior trim.

daisal thanked suezbell
  • daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No its not a bathroom. Just bedrooms towards the front

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jan so you are saying that I should paint bothe the siding and the garage door as Gauntlet all same color?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

I am saying............. exactly as I said above. I am saying NO to the big "maison blanche" garage door. Change it, or paint it. Gauntlet.
    And your entry columns would be BEST in the "MAISON BLANCEHE" versus the gauntlet! Your builder gave you skimpy trim. That would help as well.

• daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay Thank you Jan. I will find out about the almond garage door to be changed to guantlet along with the siding from peppercorn to guantlet grey.

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

I was trying to highlight colors from your stone. I wouldn't paint the stone. I'd just lose the blue/gray.

daisal thanked FeatherBee
  • daisal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you thats very nice of you! Which color did you do on the second picture? Which software were you trying with? I wanted to try to do the same on following picture with garage door closed