Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverscout1127

What style is this house?

silverscout1127
6 years ago

Hello! I was wondering if you folks could help me identify the style of this house? Garrison? Traditional? Cookie Cutter?

We are thinking of purchasing it, and were unsure of our decorating direction. Thanks for your input!

Comments (8)

• pattikee
    6 years ago

It's the shape of a colonial but windows/door are contemporary. Decorate in a style you love!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

The outside of the house does not dictate the interior decorating style.

• chloebud
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have to agree with Beverly. One of my pet peeves is when a garage takes up half of the front of a home. It would be a deal breaker for me. Also, in this case the angle of the house/garage appear to be blocking part of the front entry. Just being honest since you're still in the "thinking about it" stage.

• deegw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The outside does not necessarily dictate the interior but if you want to have cohesive design and decor, you should take cues from the house.

If you add heavy ornate moulding and very traditional furniture to the living room of a modern house, the space is going to look off. If you have a traditional home and try to turn the kitchen into a sleek modern space, it is not going to work with the rest of the house. If you try to decorate the interior of a mountain cabin in beach style, it is not going to work.

The exterior of your potential house doesn't have a distinctive style so that opens up more decorating possibilities for you. From the outside it looks like transitional or contemporary would work well in the house.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

silverscout, I agree the exterior doesn't need to dictate the interior. Sorry...I thought you were asking about changes to the exterior.

• silverscout1127
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for the comments! I agree, the exterior does leave a bit to be desired, and if time and $$ permits, we may cut some additional windows, or least adjust the size of the 2nd story bedroom window, that faces the driveway. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Steven
    6 years ago
    I think picking a darker more stately colour palate will make your home look more attractive. Yes of course I agree with the window comments, and the direction of the garage leaves a bit to be desired, but you have a nice roofline, and perhaps if you paint the house a darker colour and emphasise that roofline somehow you can create something more interesting.

Also foliage. Nothing beats trees and flowers etc...you have a large driveway - perhaps consider changing it to something more permeable?