melina_talavera

What to do with 2 inches not covered in tile to avoid water damage

Meli T
6 years ago

Comments (27)

• tatts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That's a bad job and a bad design/layout. The tile should always extend outside the tub/shower and down to the floor.

Everything about the layout of the wall with the fixtures is wrong; if the niche were 2 inches higher it could have aligned with the seams between the rows of tile, the small pieces on each side of the top, middle, and bottom rows are pointless, the shelf doesn't align with the accent stripe yet it looks as though it is supposed to.

Your best bet to avoid water problems is to install a glass shower enclosure.

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m having him redo the job. I know they are upset but I’m livid at this point. I was confidently told the person actually doing the work knew what he was doing. Since it will be redone please let let me know what I should tell him.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I would post this on the bathroom forum.

[Bathroom forum[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bathroom-discussions-dsbr0-bd~t_28571)

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Where are you seeing wavy corners? Just curious. I may just be blind and you are correct. I feel they are taking advantage of my ignorance at this point.

• nvitale89
    6 years ago

Is it in the budget to extend the tile to the ceiling? That will give it more height and a luxurious feel. And yes, have them extend the tile past the tub and down to the floor.

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nvitale it wasn’t

• shead
    6 years ago

Here are the areas I see. On the left, it appears that the trim bows in where I arrowed. On the right (inside corner), your grout line isn't consistent all the way down.

Meli T thanked shead
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I dislike shower niches at the best of times and in a tub shower even more so. Yes the tile needs to extend past the edge of the tub and down the wall and I would get a shower screen instead of a curtain too.

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Patrcia, why do you dislike niches? It’s a small bathroom and the apt has limited storage everywhere. I hate shower caddies and that’s what I’ve always used. I thought it would be nice.

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Upon further inspection, it seems like all tiling will need to be redone. Improper use of tile spacers, not leaving enough space in between the accent tile pieces for grout... I’m speechless at this point

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

Have him tile the ceiling part as well , will you have a shower curtain or door ? I find niches very convenient ,better then the caddy that tend to rust or accumulate grime. niches I just wipe down each time .

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

Agree the tile has to go beyond the tub. Get a slider starphire glass enclosure to keep the water inside the tub/shower. Here's a bathroom I just did with a similar tub/shower:

Burlwood Drive Bath · More Info

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wanted to try a shower curtain first. I had a glass door before, from the 90s but I just felt it made the space smaller

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

@Meli T, that's why I'm suggesting the super-clear glass. It will actually make the room feel more spacious.

Meli T thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@sabrina is that one glass panel that goes back and forth or is it two panels?

• rudgekatherine
    6 years ago
    It looks to me as if the hole where your facet will go is slightly off-Center to the seam of the two tiles above it. I could be wrong but I would double check if I were you as that is something that would really bother me!
  • User
    6 years ago

That has the look of a drop in tub, without the required integral tile flange, being kludged for a tub shower. And BADLY kludged.

Do you have pictures of the in progress work? I’m curious to see the (lacking) waterproofing, and likely missing tile flange.

You need to read this with the regret of hindsight. Then decide how you want to handle the future water damage from more than just the strip of missing tile standpoint.

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@sophie it’s not a drop in

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

Two panels.

• rudgekatherine
    6 years ago
    @Sofie The comment about reading with regret of hindsight is unnecessarily rude, you should have read her post better as she already said she was having it redone. She will not have to worry about water damage.
  • Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@snead thank you for pointing that out. It opened my eyes to a lot of the work.

all. IF anyone has advice on firing and hiring another contractor mid project please share.

• shead
    6 years ago

It's easier said than done to fire someone (or I would've done it by now...lol) BUT I would have a discussion about your concerns with the contractor and ask him if he can alleviate them. Tell him you aren't happy with how certain things turned out and ask what he proposes the "fix" would be. With our guy, I've taken the self-imposed "blame" on a lot of issues and kindly asked if he could rectify the situation. When I realized he couldn't get the shower doorway tiles flush without exposed tile edges, I sneaked in and popped the tiles off before they set. I then bought the tile edge strips so the exposed edges wouldn't show. He was gracious about it and redid it. He's likely going to have to redo the shower floor but he offered to do that himself because he's not confident the slope is correct to drain properly. So, in summary, don't be overly accusatory and offer him the opportunity to correct the issues. If he can't then find someone else but you might have to be prepared to pay the current guy in full first :/

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@smead yeah I don’t know what’s going to happen. This is an old friend of mine from school. I told him about the issues but I don’t think he has come to see them first hand. I got a text saying “no big deal, we will widen niche to have it centered” and didn’t see an isssue with 2 inches of exposed wall, the fact that the grout lines are uneven and the Schluter you pointed out is not even straight. I looked at the floors and again, uneven grout lines. I’m having another contractor friend I know come out and take a look. I feel like I’m being taken advantage of and it’s not fun. Also I to play that blame game... on the other hand it’s like I’m the supervisor making sure work is done properly when that’s not my job.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

Lesson learned: don't hire your friends. ;-)

• shead
    6 years ago

I swear, we have the same stories :(

I've said at least 100 times that I shouldn't have to tell someone how to do their job but alas...

I hope you can get it rectified at least to a situation you can live with.

• Meli T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@sabrina... I can’t argue with that lol