Need help redecorating this room

Sarah
6 years ago
last modified: last year

I’m looking to finish this room

Comments (36)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

What is the purpose of the room? What do you need it to do? What do you and your family need a place for? That's where to start. Why spend money and effort if it is space you don't need or use?

What you have there is pretty darn nice. Perhaps some fresh paint, perhaps new fabric on the chairs, certainly some furniture rearrangement and a piece or two added and it would be very pleasing.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

above are good points. i think you have done a great job, i don't even have a problem with the paint. more art is for sure, there is no tv? we can help you with a sofa and some better pillows, but what are you doing in htere?

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    this is my living room. We have a family room downstairs with a projector, so I don’t necessarily need a TV in this room. I also feel like there’s not a good spot to place it. This is where I entertain the few guest I have, so I want it to look nice and inviting.Help with rug, art, coffee and end tables, and especially a sofa would be appreciated.
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I just removed a large dark brown leather sofa and I’m looking to replace it with a lighter or gray sofa.
  • Susan Colvin
    6 years ago

I would have the focal point be the fireplace. I would add a couch facing the fireplace. I would put a large horizontal mirror on the wall where the art is currently to open up the room and make it appear larger. I would put the chairs on each side of the room with thr smaller circular table next to one of the chairs and the square table next to the couch. The room needs a floor lamp and a table lamp. I would ove the rug to a horizontal position. Move the candles off the mantel, too large for the mantel .. I would get a smaller picture with more color to go over the mantel.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Susan Colvin, good ideas! any recommendations on table, lamp, and artwork? My walls are revere pewter.
  • Susan Colvin
    6 years ago

I would need to see your room

• Susan Colvin
    6 years ago

Sorry is that your room?

• Susan Colvin
    6 years ago

I would use earth tones for the lamps. Matching 2 table and one floor lamp. I would use a bright colored floral landscape over the mantel.

• er612
    6 years ago

Can you post a pic of the wall opposite the fireplace?

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Susan, yes the two pictures are my living room. Do you have any lamp pics or links you would recommend? Keep the current coffee table and side table? Maybe
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Standing with my back to the fp
  • er612
    6 years ago

Without seeing the adjoining spaces, I would place the sofa along the long wall with an end table on the right and a chair or two facing the fireplace.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like that layout. Would this sofa and two small brown leather chairs(replacing the two I currently have)?
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Geez, Sarah, you sure don't need to start over. If you love Chesterfields, get one, but not the cool gray you linked to. You could do a warm gray to go with your chairs.

Banish the clock from this room, add a piece of framed art over the mantel, maybe a gold coffee table like this one...

Cuff Hammered Gold Coffee Table | CB2 · More Info
    It's a pretty great room.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Groveraxle Thanks! the clock it going. i’ll look for warmer grays. I have a hard time figuring out what goes with revere pewter because it changes so drastically based on lighting. but I know I’m not supposed to match my furniture to my wall color since paint is easier to change.
  • kizumma
    6 years ago

Groveraxle-which app did you use to digitally plop the couch in? I’m so out of touch with these things...

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

@kizumma, I Photoshopped it.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @groveraxle I like all 3 of those
  • lisaam
    6 years ago

Grover, nice suggestions as usual. Blue couch and rug very pretty together.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    what do you think about the Liam @Joybird?
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Or these? i like them all.
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Yes to the LIam, but order the free swatch kit first: https://joybird.com/samples/

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Grover, i do have the samples. it helped a lot in deciding which fabrics texture i like but i still cant decide on which color would look best
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    i live these glass top coffee tables
  • pricklypearcactus
    6 years ago

Sarah can you tell me where to get that second coffee table down from the top (silver with triangular shape in the middle)? I love it!

• njmomma
    6 years ago

following

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    the rectangle with wood is on Amazon
  • User
    6 years ago

Please...no gray sofa.

I love the teal ones. Also, are you open to doing a fabulous chandelier?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think the rug needs to be larger to get maximum impact from this room. As much as I like color, for this room I would choose a sand-colored or light gray couch, preferably in velvet, and have turquoise accents such as pillows and color in the rug. The couch and chairs look disjointed with two different colors. I think you need a rectangular glass and metal coffee table to go with the length of the couch. You can always have a round table between the two chairs. Make sure the painting over the mantel is striking enough to hold its own with the painting over the couch.

• User
    6 years ago

If the sofa is along the long wall, what are we looking at when we're sitting on it? I see a table and chairs...is it a dining area?

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    pennydesign, curious as to why you don’t like a gray sofa here. the couch is facing the kitchen and a small eating area.
  • User
    6 years ago

In that case, would the sofa be better suited to facing the fireplace?

I'm simply not a fan of non colors, so personal preference. I love to see rooms that are brave and fearless and filled with the personality of the owner.

Monochromatic rooms are elegant, no doubt, but so difficult to differentiate from a Pottery Barn catalog (for me anyway).

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i would of course enjoy seeing a blue sofa in there, but gray and white are fine. I would like to see gold or wood on your table, your first one is good, but i ddo not think i like your current end tables with it. so lets do triangle, how about something like these for end.

End & Side Tables You'll Love · More Info

End & Side Tables | Joss & Main · More Info

Amazon.com: Gold Finish Metal Glass Chair Side End Table: Kitchen & Dining · More Info
    with
    Auxerre End Table | Wayfair · More Info
    if you go turquoise
    Alpes Multifunction Espresso Wood Storage Cube , End Table - 17897694 - Overstoc · More Info
    let me know, i can remove