Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olie16

Can't decide on windows for new construction. Please help!

Jeff Olsen
6 years ago
I am building a new custom home this summer and have been struggling with what kind of windows to put in. We have it narrowed down to two builders and we are going to decide which builder to select in the next week or two. Throughout the whole process of interviewing builders there seems to be a lot of different opinions on windows. We are building a rustic mountain ranch house with rustic wood floors, timber beams, knotty alder trim and cabinets with some modern touches throughout so it's not too rustic to keep the wife happy :) We are pressed on trying to get the house in our budget and need to make some cuts to be able to do it. I think wood interior with aluminum clad exterior would fit our house best but those windows are so expensive. One builder says we should do a vinyl or a andersen 100 series (fibrex) and wrap the interior in wood and we'd get the same look for half the cost and we'd get the house in our budget. The other builder said he has never put in a vinyl window in his life and we should cut interior finishes elsewhere to get the better windows. He mentioned Pella Designer Series with triple panes.

What are your thoughts on both of these options? Would andersen 100 series wrapped in knotty alder trim inside look really cheap or would it be a good look and a good way to get costs down? Our house will be located in Montana with really cold winters and hot summers. Are there other brands that someone can recommend?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

How much off are you from your budget if you go with the more expensive windows? Are you within your +/- 10% of construction costs? If so, I'd be inclined to bite the bullet and go with the triple paned windows. Montana winters are no joke.

• Jeff Olsen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We would be about $15-$20k over budget with the upgraded windows.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Shoot me, but 15 or 20 k over budget, for windows that should withstand the LIFE of the house you pray, over the possibility of unhappiness or replacement? No contest, Bite the bullet. I would do the Pella.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

Hi Jeff,

Yeah, in the scheme of the cost of a brand new house build, $15-20K is not a lot of money. I don't mean to make light of this, but even in Montana the cost of a new home is not insignificant. Pay for the better windows and have the peace of mind your home will survive the winters up there.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

When we built we faced the same issue,. We decided to spring for better Windows and we have never regretted it.

• Jeff Olsen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the comments and advice.

@Windows on Washington Ltd - What is the price point for the Marvin Integrity Wood Ultrex? I always assumed that Marvin was way out of budget. I also have a quote on Andersen 400 and they were $31k compared to $15k for Andersen 100. Wouldn't Marvin Integrity be even higher than the A-400?
  • friedajune
    6 years ago

The advice given here already is good. I have a mix of Marvin Integrity wood-Ultrex and Marvin Ultimates. Very happy with both, but they are pricey. I'd avoid Pella no matter what - you couldn't PAY me to have Pellas in my home - they are what I replaced with the Marvins.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with the concept of not skimping on windows, however the specific recommendation of that builder may be a little misguided IMO. We replace Pella's in age range of 10 years +/- on a regular basis for one. Secondly, vinyl is not a bad choice based on performance or durability. In fact, a high end vinyl product would be an excellent choice in that regard as thermal and structural performance ratings would indicate, HOWEVER, that just may not fit the look that you are going for with all of the wood in the home. I'd suggest something with a stainable interior to keep the theme. The Marvin Integrity with wood interior would be a nice choice, in fact I think that would be a really good fit. It's one of the more durable products on the market with a real wood interior. The Provia Aeris would be worth consideration as well. Both windows are primarily constructed of fiberglass and vinyl respectively, with a wood veneer (actual wood 1/4 to 1/2", not contact paper) on the interior side. Both would typically be priced more reasonably than that Designer series and by a fair margin. Lastly, I believe that triple pane is well worth the cost in colder climates as well. Definitely worthy consideration if the product that you choose has it available.

• Jeff Olsen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. So, you are saying that the Marvin Integrity wood ultrex would be cheaper than the Pella Designer and Andersen 400?
  • PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

That would be my experience, yes... At least the Pella to be sure. The Pella Impervia is more of a competitor for the Integrity whereas the Designer is closer to the Marvin Ultimate. ..I have not priced a 400 in a while so not sure on that one.

• Jeff Olsen
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That's what I figured too, but a window place here told me the Marvin integrity is even more expensive than the Andersen E series which is their top of the line and even higher than the 400. I think they just hear the word Marvin and think they will always be the highest priced.
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

We have Renewal by Anderson. Ours our double hung, but single hung would be cheaper. It is vinyl on the outside and wood on the inside. And we stained them to match. Easy peasy.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

"Renewal by Anderson", "It is vinyl on the outside"

Fibrex (wood pulp and glue), not vinyl.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Ooops. Sorry. Fibrex. Whatever it is, Renewal by Andersen windows have lasted for many years. We got ours in about 2000 after the Marvin wood windows failed miserably and rotted several of the window frames and wall studs.

• User
    6 years ago

In my limited experience, I would never again sacrifice function over aesthetics.