Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hallenva

Bathroom Tile Dilemma x 2

hallenva
6 years ago

Hi Houzz community! I have a design dilemma an need advice. Made a tile decision for two new construction bathrooms (90 square feet each) that am not happy with. For both bathrooms, tile goes up to ceiling in tub surround, but only halfway up rest of walls.

Bathroom 1 has tile finished with schluter tile edge and bathroom 2 finished with bullnose. Because of the layout of the bathrooms I think it would look finished if we brought tile up to the ceiling on all walls. Installer recommends removing top layer of tile, bullnose and schluter and then add the rest of the tiles up to the ceiling. The quote for this change is $4,065 labor ($3565) plus tiles ($500) provided by me. Ouch! We're talking about 150 square feet total for both bathrooms additional tile.

Thoughts & Concerns:

• Cost of Change Order (have asked for revised quote if they agree not to demo except remove Schluter)
  • Would it look horrible if continued tile on top of bullnose unit 2 and slightly smaller tile unit 1
  • Bathrooms will be too dark and feel claustrophobic if completely tiled. Only 1 small window in each bathroom
  • Nothing yet planned to go on wall across from tubs (that's the windowless wall)- maybe paint could help or mirror
  • Maybe just add tile up to the ceiling on the wall with the window? That is the wall that faces you when you walk in the bathroom
  • Once toilets installed next to tubs and vanities/mirrors/lights installed next to toilets maybe it won't look so unfinished?
  • Bathroom 1 : See if installer can just remove Schluter trim and continue tiling instead of also removing top layer of tile
  • Bathroom 2 (one with walk-in tub): See if installer can continue tiling on top of bullnose without removing bullnose and top layer tile

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts! Thank you!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Because you have a fairly dark tile and a single window, your bathroom will appear quite dark when finished if you carry the tile to the ceiling. Another option would be to mirror the wall opposite the tub to the ceiling and paint the other walls white or a light color. The mirrored wall will help increase the light level in the room, as will the light colored walls.

hallenva thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • hallenva
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I had not considered that option. Thank you.

• User
    6 years ago

Agree with Patricia, stop now.

• tatts
    6 years ago

Mirrored walls do NOT increase light levels in a room. That would defy the laws of physics. They can only reflect. Light walls diffuse light, which makes it easier to see because diffuse light softens shadows.

I can't think of a worse idea than extending that tile up to the ceilings. It is way too dark and will turn those rooms into caves.

Bathrooms are primarily work spaces that require bright, diffuse light so that you can adequately see your face, your teeth, your tongue, your sunburn, your makeup--all the things you need to do to care for yourself and assess you health.

And, since I see a walk-in tub, I'm guessing this is for a mature person/people. Bright, even lighting is critical for safety as we age.

hallenva thanked tatts
  • hallenva
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I have more options in unit 1 meaning can stop the presses and not add more tile. Unit 3 with the walk-in tub is for DH (yes an older person) who has in the past few minutes looked at the space again and is insisting on tiling on walls up to ceiling. I have explained it will most likely end up feeling cold and "caved in" and dark but he isn't concerned. I will have to make sure we have adequate lighting above the vanity. Hopefully the 2 overhead lights plus the vanity light will be sufficient. At least this isn't a project intended to be put on the market anytime soon- can always renovate in 10 years. Thanks

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    6 years ago

Hey tatts, my point about reflecting light was reflecting the light from the window and from the any artificial sources of light that will no doubt be in the room.

• Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

Don't add anymore tile. Once all the accessories and vanity is in place, the bathroom will look completely different. Think of those gorgeous rooms, like dining rooms, painted black or red, and how you think how they had the guts to paint that color! It's all about the finishing touches. What vanity did you have in mind?

• tatts
    6 years ago

hellenva: All-overhead lighting is a bad idea. All the light comes from the top and makes harsh shadows below. The vanity lights should be on the sides of the mirror; that's best for using the mirror and fills in dark corners created by the ceiling lights. If the overhead lights are recessed cans, at least put a globe/diffuser on each.

• hallenva
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi- thanks for the comments about the overhead lighting. The electrician is doing dimmable LED recessed for one light above each bathtub/shower and another one at entrance to bathroom plus another one in linen closets located at foot of bathtubs/shower. I'm adding some photos of the 2 other bathrooms involved in this project that IMO turned out fine. With these the tile is brought around the window and yes it is lighter tile so maybe it works. On both of these bathrooms, the wall opposite the shower/tub has no tile at all.

Appreciate the comments about how these bathrooms will look different when vanities installed. DH still insists on completely tiling his bathroom with the walk-in tub. He is a bit sensitive to light so he may not be displeased no matter how much I have tried to talk him out of this decision.

Still trying to figure out situation unit 1

More to follow... thanks everyone

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor