Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Do you have a doggie toy box?

Sueb20
6 years ago

We have two playful dogs who like their toys. (As well as one older dog who doesn’t care any more.) We have tried putting the dog toys in a wicker basket, a metal basket, and a canvas sort of basket, and they all get destroyed after a fairly short time. I strolled around Home Goods looking for a new bin/box but didn’t find anything that would survive my crazy bulldogs. I’m trying to think outside the box (ha), even looked at those metal beverage tubs, but the ones I saw weren’t really the right size.

Any suggestions?

Current toy bin and the source of the problem.

Comments (26)

• jmck_nc
    6 years ago

We have a metal/wire basket with a cloth liner. I took the liner out when my younger dog was a puppy and never put it back. She can see all the toys through the metal so she goes digging for what she wants but cannot damage the basket. I'd put up a picture, but I can never get that to work.

• natesg
    6 years ago

I have a wicker basket of toys. Gracie is good at finding and playing with them but she hasn’t learned how to pick up after herself.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have a Billie basket of her raincoats, sweaters and winter coats, leashes, bandana's but no toys, she doesn't like toys. What a cutie pie your Frenchie is!!!

She is very disappointed that she's not going for a walk!

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

I got this one at Target. He chewed off the plastic on the handle/top, but that's okay, he'll never eat this basket.

Toy basket

I think there are other sizes, too. I like that the dirt sifts out. ;-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 years ago

Yes. Now that we have a new puppy, I decided to create a puppy toy box. I have an old restaurant pickle bucket that my now 39-year old son decorated for me in preschool. It is perfect and always makes me smile, especially when Sam is told to get his toy and he sticks his head in it to find one he wants.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Our dog buries all of her toys, except her puppy.

She carries her puppy around by its neck. She sometimes naps with it, and gives it a bath. It seems odd that she takes to it so (she stole it from DD1 a few years ago). To us, it looks just like it could be her puppy. But I would think her most important sense is smell, and I'd bet she thinks it's a very odd smelling puppy. I think she can tell we respond very positively to her playing with it like a puppy, so she humors us. (Humans. Go figure.)

I do need to warn her about Shaken Puppy Syndrome, though; she can be a little rough.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

With too many toys

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

No dogs here but I have a cat toy box. Well actually it's a cat shaped metallic structure that holds the cat toys.

• localeater
    6 years ago

No, but we need one so I am following this thread. Our older dog never took to toys but the rescue we got in December loves her toys and they are everywhere.

• User
    6 years ago

Plastic milk crate.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Our Doberman, Knight, has this metal one that we keep in his man cave . . . er, our front foyer (LOL). I bought it at Hobby Lobby years ago. No stuffed animals anymore for him, though, since he ate his favorite Mr. Frog's long stuffed legs off and gave himself a partial stomach obstruction last year. Strictly the super tough, hard chew toys and split beef leg bones, cut to about 12" long each. Our 12-pound Tibetan Spaniel, Sasha, has no desire to play with toys . . . or other dogs for that matter. All of our Tibbies seem to be/have been people oriented only.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    6 years ago

Painted to match the trim in the room

• msmeow
    6 years ago

Mtn, the "puppy" probably smells like your DD and you, and that's why your real doggie likes it.

Our cat toys are in a cardboard envelope box, but they don't stay there long. Mostly they are all over the house.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think the most likely one to not get destroyed by my dogs is the one that Lynn pictured. I found something similar at Home Goods but it had something like “cold drinks” embossed on the side.

• nhbaskets
    6 years ago

So many toys. So little time.

• neetsiepie
    6 years ago

We have a vintage heavy copper pot-it's 2 feet across in an oval shape. I heard it was used for candy making, but we've used it as a doggie toy box for years. My sweet Max would go and snuffle around in it until he found just the right toy. And that pot holds a lot of toys! It's super heavy so they couldn't drag it or knock it over.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

I have always wanted a doggie toy box but never had a dog interested in toys. Kongs, pig ears, yep. A stuffed animal, maybe initially to shred it to pieces. My current dog, since last October has no interest in toys or kongs.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

For many years of wonderful dogs, mine have had this old Maine potato basket. Amazingly, they haven't hurt it; not surprising - they don't put their toys in it when they're done playing.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

Sue, check out Amazon: metal storage tubs

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

My doggie's toys are kept in a large but rather shallow woven basket (I think it is African). He has never chewed on it but his favorite method of accessing the toy of choice is to put his paw on the edge of the basket and flip it over!! Then he roots around in the pile until he finds what he is looking for. It's not that tall and he could easily stick his head in and find a toy but much more fun to flip them all out!! Unfortunately, putting them back in is not in his repertoire :-)

• User
    6 years ago

I now have 2 dogs. My older girl loves toys and isn't generally destructive, so I had a beautiful wicker basket for her.

Then I got a puppy.

This brat loved wrecking the wicker basket more than any toy which it contained. So now I'm in the market for a more sturdy toy basket and appreciate the ideas from this thread.

Yes, he's a brat - but we love him and we will keep him. :-)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm enjoying seeing all the pups and their toys!

Bonnie, so funny, I ordered a bucket from Amazon before I saw your post. I think it's arriving today. It's basically a "beverage tub", very basic galvanized metal without any "drink" phraseology embossed on the side. I don't think my mighty chewers can wreck it...but we'll see. Fortunately, our puppy will chew on her bed, the door of her crate, and the toy box (and toys), but so far hasn't chewed anything else except the occasional sock or shoe.

• nutsaboutplants
    6 years ago

Beautiful babies!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just want to post my dog, who doesn't
    like toys.