Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Have you ever seen such a poor job as this?

User
6 years ago

The trim corner before I insisted it be re-done despite “hard to get a 45 degree cut with this trim; we always do it like this; grout will fill the gap; once that trim is in it’s hard to remove.”

The POWER of GW!

When you know it should look like this

Stand your ground.

(Still in process)

Comments (17)

• Sammy
    6 years ago

Honestly, I’d have flipped the f-out out on the installer had they presented that to me as being acceptable. How did you remain composed?? My nostrils are flaring just thinking about! I wouldn’t be able to allow them to remain in my house to finish it. UGH

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

He did my kitchen renovation so I knew he was trustworthy and easy to work with. He didn’t present it to me. When he started the next bathroom I went to this one to inspect. Before I pointed it out to him I sent the before photo to the tile store manager to confirm that the Schluter trim I bought from them could be installed like the stock photo. I kept thinking I forgot to buy some type of corner connector. Nope the store manager said nothing else needed but a correct cut.

I didn’t need to get in his face at all. And this was AFTER I made him redo the first part of the kitchen bullnose and field tile install (which is why I inspected the pictured backsplash). OMG the kitchen was laughable. I wish I had taken a photo. He was not at all belligerent but I had to guide him to a different approach after telling him twice his attempt looked like a mistake.

I am so thankful I’ve spent 8 years trolling this site.

• Patrick Blackmon (8a)
    6 years ago

It looks like a "before" picture, as in before it's all ripped out. All of it. Does the installer have a plan for the cracked, uneven tiles as well?

Also, I hope you laughed in his face, both when you saw this and when he offered that comical excuse.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You’re looking at an in process photo not finished. The tiles are not cracked.

• pudgeder
    6 years ago

Oh. my. word.

Oh. my. several. not.so.nice. words.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I don't know how much worse the quality of workmanship can go these days. I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, the good thing about this is that I know it’s not life or death and it’s easier getting him to re-do stuff than me trying to do it and deal with more do-overs and having to buy replacement materials...probably more than once!

It’s just one in a series of decorating bumps lately.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Good for you to stand your ground! Now is the time to lavish praise on him, so he can be proud of his work and not to try to pull the same thing on the next person.

(Of course, one shouldn't have to use tricks for a 5-year old on a grown-up professional).

• party_music50
    6 years ago

Good for you!!! Contractors are *always* pulling things on me and they get away with it unless I ask a MAN to be present! Funny how their behavior and story changes then. sigh.

• schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

I identify with party. Sometimes I think I've gotten the reputation among contractors of being a real PITA. They often just don't listen (or want to) or have no sense of the aesthetic. On occasion after I've suggested a different way they will say, "yeah that does look better".

My Dad was a carpenter all his life, he did things like a carpenter, the way he was taught. Basic work was spot on, but nothing veering from the "right way" of doing things was appreciated if you know what I mean.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So, today he finished the kitchen and bathroom pictured above. He still needs to grout the other bathroom. He says I want you do see something in the (finished) bathroom. He points out a tile with a good chunk of one corner missing. “Not sure whether this is OK with you.” Ummm no.” Seriously he grouted the whole dang splash then asked me?

• lucillle
    6 years ago

It's hard to believe that anything could be worse than that first picture, but I have no doubt that had you accepted it, things would get worse.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I have seen such a poor job. When I was getting the master bath done I went in and plucked newly done corner piece tiles right off the wall while still wet. They finally figured out I wasn't settling for the new guys. Honesty, you wouldn't believe what they tried to get away with. In the end it turned out nice but that was after I oust one with a dull porta tile cutter and one who didn't have a clue on how to do a corner. The company sent the amateurs originally.

• User
    6 years ago

I would be upset with that too. I'm always find it interesting to check out the tile work in convenient store and restaurant bathrooms. A lot of times I find myself thinking I could honestly have done a better job and I've never tiled.

• Fori
    6 years ago

This is why I have an unfinished backsplash and plywood bar in my kitchen after 2 years. I kinda have tile picked out, but who the hell will I get to install it?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Exactly Fori. The tiler recommended by the tile store came out and told me how much tile to buy but never responded to my request for pricing. Could not get any other recommendations so used my kitchen/bath contractor who reportedly does tiling too. Great attitude (seriously) so I didn’t have to get in his face. I just was armed with good sense and hope he learned something in the process. He did tell me he has used some things I had him do in my kitchen (pullouts and tray dividers in cab over fridge and strip LEDs for UCL) in subsequent jobs- thank you GW!