Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_stewart78

Decorate this front porch.

Heather Green
6 years ago
What is the best way to add life to this porch? I want it to feel inviting.

Comments (22)

• Dar C
    6 years ago

Are you repainting the house? If not, I'd paint the walls back to the regular wall color and instead use the yellow on the door. If you can remove it without a hassle, I'd take off the kick plate, add a bright door mat, get some potters to flank the door with some pretty plants. If you want even more color, paint the ceiling haint blue. Your brick seems pretty clean, but if not you could pressure wash it.

• Darlene
    6 years ago
    I think your front porch looks great. Maybe a bigger, brighter mat and the haint blue ceiling would be the cherry on top.
  • Heather Green
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm renting this space, so the paint colors have to remain as is. The house is beige, but the doorway is a different color..for some reason. There is a yellow powder room at entrance. Maybe to go along with theme? Haha! So, I can't change what is a already here, only add things. What are your thoughts now?
  • R M
    6 years ago
    Hang ferns. Put the doggie dishes on the step and place an brightly painted small scaled old chair in that space.
    Pretty house
  • pink_peony
    6 years ago

Why on earth would they paint the entrance siding a different color? If you cant paint then I would get a cute bench to go on the left wall and get some pillows in bright colors to coordinate with the yellow. Get a fund outdoor rug for the space. Do a large urn to the right of door with a large fern. I would say your potted flowers are a great burst of color but I would cluster them for more impact. Right now they looks a little lonely and small. If you are allowed to place a ring to hang things from I would hang a second fern or flowering plant from the entrance to the left of cute octagon window.

• Denita
    6 years ago

I agree with pink_peony, except I really like that the entrance siding is painted a different color.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I like it too. I'm guessing it helps direct people to a door that might otherwise be a bit hidden, is that the case?

• Heather Green
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is what the house looks like on the outside. I like the two different colored siding.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Yes, that's exactly what I imagined. Without the differentiation it could be hard to know which is the front door.

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    Large colorful door mat, bigger plants, and a seasonal wreath. Normally, I don’t suggest wreaths, they look tattered after a while, but it’s a rented house, and a wreath hanger allows temporary decor.
  • Snaggy
    6 years ago

I like the Yellow porch it looks great..it needs some potted plants

• Denita
    6 years ago

Beautiful home! Yes, the owner did the right thing by brightening up the siding around the door to make it a focal point. It is very well done. Agree with the others, potted plants in colorful containers with a large door mat is just the little bit of oomph the front porch needs.

• PRO
    Jan Neiges, CMKBD with NKBA
    6 years ago

add large flower pots with a bright color. Have the pots all the same color..blue, yellow or red displayed like Phuninthesun did. add some flower pots that can hang off of the fence and add a bench that creates a visual divider between the tree and the deck rail. so that the entry leading up to the front door is a bit more quaint. add a pot with taller plants left of the front door. Yes, move the pet bows. Yes, add another small bench/chair on the wall adjacent to the front entry. Too bad there is not a ceiling light, just the side light. Could you change the side light? Get something a bit more decorative?

• Heather Green
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Jan Neiges, CKD
    I'm uncertain about where you suggest I place the bench near the tree. Can you explain just a bit more, please? Thanks. By the way, it's been difficult determining which pants to use since there is so much shade on the porch.
  • PRO
    Jan Neiges, CMKBD with NKBA
    6 years ago

At the end of the cement stoop, where it meets the tree. That span of cement - between the tree and the fence - add a bench there, that faces the front door. Or you can put large, same size/color pots for colorful flowers....It will help define the space, create more depth, enhance the entry.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Begonias , lobelia, ferns, hostas, petunias all do well in deep to partial shade and they are easy growers.

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

The yellow color at the door is a really odd choice. However, none of this matters so much when I see the full shot and realize it looks like you are in a lush forest paradise. You don't need to do too much to the door area other than make it feel more connected to the woods surrounding it. I'd like a very large urn to the right of the door and another one at the base of the brick stairs at the angled where the two sides meet. I'd get tall, lush, green plants to put in them. Think of how this looks from a far, a real distance view, not just about the close up.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Don't plant anything the deer will want to eat.

• Heather Green
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Decoenthusiaste my Australian Shepherd keeps the deer at bay.
  • phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Heather Green - Go to your local nursery and show them a picture of your area and explain how much sun the area gets. They should be able to show you which flowers/plants will grow in your area. You have a beautiful entry area.