Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Why just one lamp? Staging vs reality?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’m planning a guest room with 2 queen beds. I’ve always loved the look, plus I think it will be very useful in our mountain cabin, especially when hosting girls weekends. I have a group of 4-8 friends that like to travel together. It was originally a book club that morphed into a weekend getaway club!

In my search for inspiration pics I find that most rooms show 2 beds with one nightstand or small dresser between with one lamp on it. And that’s it other than ceiling lighting. In many instances it’s obvious there isn’t room for anything on the outsides of the beds. But in some, there is room for more.

So when 2 friends are sharing the room they have to agree on when they shut off the light? This also means they have to sleep on the side of their bed nearest the center, what if they prefer the other side of a bed?

And when a couple uses the room, my guess is they will pick one bed to share, like in a hotel. This leaves one person on the outside with no reading lamp, or no way to turn on a light for a middle of the night trip to the loo?

So do you think it’s just because multiple lights will look busy in a photo? Or do you think these designers think this is a good idea, that people don’t need multiple lamps in a guest room as they won’t get used?

Example pic

What I was planning so far,

I was also considering this on the wall between the beds. Thereby freeing up the nightstand.

Comments (16)

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

I am doing what you are doing in the first picture. A lamp for general lighting and one side of the bed. Wall brackets for the far sides of the bed (and a lamp across the room, probably). We don't often need a ton of light, most things are on dimmers, but I like even distribution.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

I prefer the double sconce. That nightstand in the first photo looks way too cluttered. The vase is unnecessary, and I am allergic to many flowers.

What if someone has a CPAP machine? There should always be room for that.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

It is pretty routine in hotels to put one table lamp between two queen beds. If one person wants to sleep and the other wants to read, the sleeper pulls the cover over their head.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

Each bed should have a light, however you can provide it. The comment about a single sleeping in a queen bed and preferring a particular side, but away from the light, is something I hadn't thought of.

Whenever I've had to share a room with another person, not my favorite setup, but I try to be a good sport, when one is ready to sleep, I think the light should go out.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I can't imagine sharing a bed with another woman, even on a "girl's weekend" - WAY too old for that. Twin beds is the way to go - don't mind sharing a room if they like it cold and don't care that I snore!

• pricklypearcactus
    5 years ago

I can't speak to why a designer might do this, but currently I have a bedside lamp and my husband does not. He has no interest in having one, even though some day I will probably get us a matching set for stylistic reasons. I read in bed and like to use the lamp as I'm preparing to climb into bed. He has no need and would prefer we have no beside lamps at all. So I think whether this single lamp design would work really depends on who is using the room.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

I also don't have a ceiling light in the master bedroom except in front of the closets. (which are also fully lit). I hate the glare of that quality of light in a bedroom. The guest room will have one since it is for guests but the lamps will also be wall switched at the door and at each bedside.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I like the double sconce above the nightstand, too. In my bedroom for reading, I have something like this. It's pretty unobtrusive, doesn't take up much room and could be used on the far side of the beds, so when there are couples in one bed, each could have their own light. I have mine on a dimmer cord that I hang on the headboard so I can dim or shut the light off from any sleeping position. All metal finishes are available and they do make some with shades that would be closer to the double sconce style.

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

The problem is solved by two twin beds or one queen. Even two full would give you more room and since in your scenario much of the time there is only one person per bed I do not comprehend the need for two queens. I do agree every person should have access to a light switch for their use. To think a light only shines on the person closest to it is just silly.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Two twins makes it kind of limiting. When a couple visits, then they are sleeping like a 50s sitcom. Two fulls would be good, but it would be more costly for me as I already own multiple sets of newish queen mattress sets and have one queen iron bed, so will only have to buy the second queen bed frame. I wasn’t saying the center only light wouldn’t shine on multiple people, just that it seems kind of inconvenient if there were other opportunities to add more.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

Since the room is large enough to do three lamps, that's what I would use. A mix of table lamp, swing wall or floor. Whatever works best for the space/your furniture.

btw, if my husband ever turned on a light for nighttime bathroom trips I would have strangled him by now! Provide plug in nightlights, and guest can decide whether and where to use.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I do have nightlights, but am aware that others do things differently than I. I think wall lamps on the outside and I’m undecided about the lighting between the beds for now. I’m also looking at a table lamp that has a USB port in the base which would be helpful for guests looking for an easy to find way to charge devices.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Love your mock-up but with the double-sconce in the center. Very lucky houseguests : ) .

Annette Holbrook(z7a) thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • User
    5 years ago

Most hotels have one nightstand and one lamp -- it's just the way things are done. And yes, you either have one person in one bed not happy because the light is one or one person in one bed unhappy because they can't read. If you look at old decorating books when they did twin beds, it was always one nightstand between the beds with one light. IMO not ideal. But in hotels, it's not like you're LIVING there! If it's a night or two assume people can adjust.

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

I stay at a resort that has 2 queens in each bedroom. Separate lights over each bed - since they point straight down, they are great for reading in bed, without disturbing the person in the next bed. Controlled with wall switches. Having the lights wired to switches up the wall outlet for clock, cpap, phone charger.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022