Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marielena76

How has your wood island top held up?

Marielena
6 years ago

We are considering a wood island top (perimeter countertops are tbd), and I'm curious as to whether people who have them are happy with their choice. There will be no sink, and I would not cut directly on it, but it would be a primary prep, eating, serving, and homework space. I understand it would not remain pristine, but also don't want it to get trashed from regular use. If you have a wood island, what kind of wood/finish is it? Would you do it again and share pictures? Thank you!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I don't have a wood island but I DO have a butcher block island cart from Ikea. I oiled the heck out of this thing over a period of a month or so - used mineral oil. It gets a lot of use and looks great 2 years later.

Marielena thanked Anglophilia
  • jlj48
    6 years ago

I LOVED my wood counters in my former home. Beautiful, warm, earthy. I want them again in this house as soon as we are able. I initially finished them in Waterlox but a couple years later ended up putting polyurethane on them. That finish was more durable and required no touch ups later with oil.

Marielena thanked jlj48
  • DrB477
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had wood counters not of my choosing. Twice. First in a rental. Pretty sure they were ikea. Finished with something. It was probably waterlox in retrospect but didn't really care about that stuff at the time. Water damage around the sink and elsewhere repeatedly. Stains happened if not careful. Was enough to decide I never wanted wood counters but when we bought our forever home it had a butcher block island that was beat to hell. They clearly cut on it. A lot. I sanded it some and mineral oiled it. Better but still looked like crap. I was happy to see it go with the remodel.

Obviously some people have it and are happy with it, but I wouldnt do it.

Marielena thanked DrB477
  • Allison0704
    6 years ago

Love our current wood island - antique pine. Have been here 13yrs. It is finished with Good Stuff for Wood. We are good about wiping water splatters around sink. Would use them again.

Marielena thanked Allison0704
  • daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

We had an oak topped island for years. It was finished with Old Master's wipe on poly. It had lots of abuse, but looked great right up until a pipe burst and water rained down on it from above for about 8 hours straight. We have a new island now with a maple top. I tried using mineral oil and beeswax on it for a year, then finished it with osmos. Haven't been happy with either. This summer, I'm planning on doing the Old Master's on it like our old one.

Marielena thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • kidshop
    6 years ago

I had an ikea stenstorp large island for 4 years in the kitchen. I used mineral oil regularly at first but then only occasionally. It looks great! I still have it, but now it's in the storage room. Anyway, I think it held up well to use and it's probably not the highest quality wood being ikea.

Marielena thanked kidshop