Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
altiptoentx

Help with 5-1-1. Which of these are the correct/ideal sizes of bark?

altiptoentx
6 years ago

I am attempting the 5-1-1 and have been having problems finding the bark. I ordered the repti-bark, but judging from some of the photos on the forum I thought that it may be to large. Then I read that it also should be sifted, but is not quite the same as using the bark fines. Well I finally found two different brands of pine bark which looked suitable to try sifting.(most that I found was shredded) Now that I have sifted it, first 1/2 mesh then 1/4 mesh and finally 1/8 mesh. I would like input as to which size I should use. I have seen references of 1/8 to 1/2 as well as 1/4 to 3/8. Again, judging from photos that I have observed my 1/2 looks rather large. So since I am new to this, I am seeking some help from those with more experience at this than me. I am adding photos of what I ended up with for clarity and input. Thanks.

The bottom photo is a bag that I just sifted with the 1/2 screen and is damp/wet so I will let it dry before further sifting. The two above it are the 1/4 screen, the next two up are after the 1/8 screen and the top two are what is left. Also being that I have the repti-bark, should I just screen it also and add to the mix or would that not be a good idea? I would appreciate your input.

Comments (5)

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

I, and others, have used the ReptiBark without screening. I have used pine bark that was dust to smaller than 1/2 inch but found that it was too water retentive so I switched to bark that was between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch.

altiptoentx thanked Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
  • Alanna Migliacci
    6 years ago

I know some people do not shift there bark at all, but mine had a lot of ‘dust’ and tiny pieces. I kept everything that didn’t fall through the 1/8in mesh up to 1/2in - which is technically a little too big, but I know plenty of people who use the larger size with great success. I did break any larger than average chunks up a bit, if they stood out. I opted to try to have an even range of sizes, but eliminated the dusty bits.

I would recommend you pick out the sapwood. I quite literally drove myself mad picking out sapwood and didn’t get it all still, but I can see it in the pictures.

As far as mixing the bark with reptibatk, personally I thought about doing the same. Reptibark will likely take longer to break down than the regular bark because it’s not already partially composted. I don’t think there’s any harm in mixing it, but you might end up dumping the mix when your reptibark is still good, if the other bark is decomposing (in about 2-3 years).

My feeling on all of this is that there’s no perfect 511 - it’s a starting point. You can mix it to your own specifications as long as you make sure you properly water for the mix you have. Bigger pieces dry out faster than the fines. Reptibark should be well soaked before mixing.

altiptoentx thanked Alanna Migliacci
  • altiptoentx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation Vladimir, I just wasn't sure about the 1/2 inch size. So now I guess I will give it a go. Alanna, I think you are right about the sapwood, I have already picked quite a bit from it already. I will go after more of it and will make sure not to buy that brand again. I like the idea that there is no perfect mix so I will do the best I can with what I have at this point. As for the repti-bark, I think I will try it in a separate mix and see what results I get from it. Thank you both so much for you responses.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I don't bother sifting mine out. It helps it stay a bit more water retentive and from drying out too fast. plus, the 5.1.1 mix requires peat moss and the dust is just the same anyways.

With the 1.1.1 mix, the gritty one, you have to sift it.

Soaking is good and when putting the mix together. It mixes the finer pieces well with the larger so that the finer particles are evenly mixed through out.

Make sure not to use too large of pieces because the smaller pieces will gravitate towards the bottom leaving the top dry while the bottom stays wet too long.

There is a fine balance between keeping it as a 5.1.1 mix that stay evenly moist and a 1..1.1 mix that does the same. You want to make sure you don't turn it into an 'almost' 1.1.1 mix sort to say.

Mike

altiptoentx thanked myermike_1micha
  • altiptoentx
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Mike. I posted earlier today asking what the dust could be used for. So am I correct in that I can use some of it in place of the peat in a 5-1-1 mix? If so, that would be great. Thanks again.