Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillary218

How can I update these old closets?

Sassygirl Sassygirl
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My master bedroom needs help I want this to be prettier and more useful closet space

Comments (37)

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So would you suggest wall to wall mirrored doors floor to ceiling? Rip out the drawers under doors?

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

If you're willing to engage a carpenter, have him remove the section of framing directly over the closet doors (new, taller doors will be needed) and the drawers. This allows you to use the upper part of the closet. My Mom was 5'1'' and I installed a rod way up at the top (out-of-season clothes) with the lower rod just high enough for her folded slacks to clear the floor. The "space in the middle" held shelves for her shoes, purses etc.

Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked chiflipper
  • Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any ideas on doors?

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

https://www.addicted2decorating.com/an-easy-inexpensive-way-to-update-flush-flat-panel-interior-doors-with-moulding.html

You may want to consider adding molding. If you're going to use bypass doors (like you have now) you need to make sure the molding is "thin enough" for the doors to slide by each other.

Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked chiflipper
  • Kendrah
    5 years ago

I think these closets are kind of cool. I would update the hardware and put some trim details on the door panels (if you can make the trim shallow enough to still allow the doors to slide).

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

My Houzz: Clean, Family-Friendly Update for a 1935 Home · More Info

Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked tqtqtbw
  • Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow

beautiful. Do you have a picture with doors closed

i love the hardware

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just curios about where you put your shoes and long dresses etc?

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

This is from Houzz. I would think space is allowed in one of the closets for long hanging and shelves for shoes and folded sweaters. Depending on how deep the space is, there might be room for jewelry hooks inside the door.

My Houzz: Clean, Family-Friendly Update for a 1935 Home · More Info

Fremont Residence · More Info

Crawford Hanger Household 16" CM16H · More Info

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    5 years ago
    I'm not sure what you mean by useful. You could paint the doors the color of the wall and it would blend into the room. The center could stand out more if you replaced the chest with something lighter in color and maybe paint the wall there a lighter color.
    Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked SJS Interiors
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Would there be room for swing open doors? I see now that the night stand in right up to the closet door.

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No not in that corner

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just think the sliding doors and bottom drawer are dated

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also the middle seems like a lot of wasted space

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Maybe a silly question, but can the bed rotate to face the TV/closet wall?

• annsl
    5 years ago
    I just replaced our old heavy sliders with these French doors. Best decision ever. I see the night stand is in the corner, could you get a smaller table there? Then doors on hinges could open? Just a thought.
    Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked annsl
  • Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You could except when you walk in the room you walk pretty close to the bed

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

New doors would make a great improvement.

i suppose I could store least used items in that one corner.

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It is a 15 foot wall

• liz_fb
    5 years ago

I love this! Just get rid of the dresser and make another closet with shelves.

Derby Hill Farm Lyme NH · More Info

Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked liz_fb
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

And the chair in in the other corner. Beautiful room, btw. If you did the closet organization maximization like they do at Container Store, you might be able to store more thing behind new, taller bypass doors.

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We do not have a bath in the master so I was trying to give it another selling feature and everyone seems to love a fabulous closet

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Whoa.. are you selling and only doing this in hoping it will help sell it?

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No

i would like better use of space and like things to look good but I'm sure one day when we sell it can't hurt

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

If you wanted to swing door before you sell, you would need night stands about 1/2 the size of the current ones and to remove the chair.

Does the inside of the closet go up to the ceiling? If so, I like the Ideal or doing a double hang rod in one side.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Oh, ok . You are right that it won't hurt and since you will be there to enjoy it for awhile then it is worth the cost to do it.

• jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Paint out the doors and frames. Paint fan to match ceiling.
    Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked jbtanyderi
  • Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes they go up to the ceiling

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you like mirrored panel or solid panel doors

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I think solid panel door here.

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you like the tv and drawers below photo for my room the best?

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Remove the bottom drawers or keep them if you use them. Move the tall chest elsewhere in the room. Have the center niche fitted with drawers, leaving an upper space for your tv or a mirror. Have two new doors made for each of the the two closets. Sliding doors are okay, but double doors have a better quality appearance.
    Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
    5 years ago

Am going to be honest and tell you that I did not read thru all the comments as they were a lot, so I hope I am not repeating anything,

On rooms where space is somewhat limited, we like to use barn doors. One idea is to put barn doors with art to make an interesting and unique piece as well. This would also allow you to keep the space in the center for your TV if you wish. Here is an example of that; I understand that this particular art is not your style, but you can of course choose a different art piece.

Sassygirl Sassygirl thanked Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Guest Room Reach-in Closet · More Info

Reach in closets with sliding closet door · More Info

• Kendrah
    5 years ago

Can you provide a few more details:

1. What is your budget and how extensive are you wanting the work to be?

2. Is it just the aesthetics of the closet exterior you don't like or do you feel that the interior space is also not well used?

3. Your room is lovely, though crammed full with oversized furniture. Do you sit in the arm chair? Are you willing to remove some of this furniture and/or replace with smaller pieces so your doors can swing open or do you want to keep them as sliding doors?

I'm lazy and somewhat cheap sometimes too. What I would do is just change the exterior look with new hardware, live with it for a while and see if you like it. If not then consider tearing it all out and making the entire wall one big closet with sliding or folding doors.

For a hardware change I'd use something like these for the bottom drawers:

Cosmas 4310BB Brushed Brass Cabinet Cup Pull · More Info

Polished Brass RKI Flat Box Cup Pull, RKICF5250B · More Info

And these on the sliding doors:

Polished Brass RKI Thick Rectangle Flush Pull, RKICF5632 · More Info

• Sassygirl Sassygirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes I can take out furniture and I am ok with ripping the whole thing out but just not sure what to put back in. We mainly have hang up clothes. I also love those brass pulls