Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_standridge5665

Need help choosing exterior for Farmhouse in Arkansas

Michelle
6 years ago

Hello!

Our farmhouse frame is going up as I type this! The next step is to figure out the exterior material. The options we have are brick, board and batten or both! I like both, but I wonder about the price and if there are better options out there? I really like this look.

Our house dimensions are:

North end 49'

East side 69'

West side 69'

South 53'

Height 22-23 feet on the north end and south

Comments (28)

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Could you post elevations?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Not too many brick farmhouses in Arkansas are there...?

Perhaps do some country exploring and look at the materials vocabulary of authentic local farmhouses?

Michelle thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here are the exterior plans... I do like rock too!

• notoriouscat
    6 years ago

Congratulations on your home. I live near many farmhouses built in the mid to late 1800s. Most are clad in siding, while a couple are stone. I am not really getting a farmhouse vibe from your elevations.

Michelle thanked notoriouscat
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

notoriouscat thank you!!! we are super excited. What style would you call this? I was thinking that first picture was a modern farmhouse look?. I still love the plans and would like to see what siding looks good.

• chispa
    6 years ago

That is a lot of roof. I hope you are taking advantage of all that attic space and can easily use/access the space.

Michelle thanked chispa
  • notoriouscat
    6 years ago

I am definitely no pro in architecture so I'll save your first question for the pros. I do believe your exterior will be attractive if you limit the materials to the two that I believe are shown. Stone near the foundation and siding on the rest. All stone could be quite nice too. Beauty in simplicity.

• notoriouscat
    6 years ago

Also agree with chispa that roof appears quite steep and visible.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Arkansas has many picturesque regions and appealing indigenous architecture. Have you toured and made a study of these to get a sense of what is common in farmhouse architecture in your region? Forget HGTV and all the Pinterest photos--they're just glam stuff. The real stuff is out there, all around you. Go look and take photos and make notes. Good luck!

Michelle thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • homechef59
    6 years ago

I prefer brick, but that's my personal preference. If this was located in Maryland or Pennsylvania I would use stone.

I would make an additional change from the plan. I would drop the line of the stone or brick to the level of the porch rather than up to the bottom of the window. You want to ground the structure to the earth. If you go up too high, it will start to look too heavy.

Additionally, I would use a simple wood clad type base column and no brick or stone.

Keep it simple. That's where the charm and farmhouse effect is produced. It's all about simplicity. Farmer's couldn't afford to spend money on extra expensive building materials. Most farmhouses in Northeast Arkansas where my family was from were open underneath to allow for a breeze and cooling. It might be different in the hills.

Michelle thanked homechef59
  • User
    6 years ago

Arkansas field stone is quite a popular indigenous and well loved material. However, it’s suited to the larger more rustic dwellings or simple stone cottages. Using it to clad the foundation level only would be appropriate.

Natural cypress or cedar lap siding is also used quite a bit, and left to weather to gray. That weathering can be accelerated through a stain if desired.

White painted lap is a perennial favorite in any farm community, whether the product be rice, chickens, or soybeans.

All require the requisite red oxide barn out back, and the galvanized tractor shed.

Michelle thanked User
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

"What style would you call this?"

Elongated pint milk carton with attached garage builder special.

Michelle thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

You can do board and batten from Hardie Siding. If you have the funds do a standing seam roof. You won't regret it.

Michelle thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • User
    6 years ago

It depends on the area of Arkansas as to the "indigenous" materials. In my area (northeast) field stone is a no-go. It's the Delta - no stone to be found for miles and miles.

In the Delta, I'd go for clapboard in white, much like the Johnny Cash home in Dyess.

Edit: Further to Sophie's snark, not everyone in Arkansas has a galvanized shed (or an outhouse).

homechef, I'm from NEArk too. :)

Michelle thanked User
  • Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone for the comments! I’m not from Arkansas but I love it here! We did changes to the plans not showing in the picture :)

• mojomom
    6 years ago

I'm originally from the Delta in SE Ark and, sadly, few farmhouses have survived in my area. Those that I remember were narrow white clapboard. Many have been razed in favor of irrigable cropland and a new house in town. I see many more surviving stone farmhouses, and even a few white clapboard farmhouses with stone foundations, in the Ozark and Ouachita mountains in NW and west central Arkansas.

If you go with brick, I'd do foundation only and not bring it up to the windows.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

Some of the pictures in the thread illustrate my point about lowering the line for the brick or stone to correspond to the level of the porch. Please note that the porch columns don't have stone at the base. That is more of a Craftsman element.

Today's fired brick doesn't crumble. I have salvaged brick from the old farmhouse that was made on the site in 1840. It's in the interior as a feature. And, the exterior of the house is new brick that has been fired. It won't crumble.

Redsilver is correct to point out considering moisture and mildew in selecting and installing pretty much everything in you home. Passive decisions such as materials, insulation and windows will pay for themselves many times over. Additionally, find the best HVAC guy in the area and consult with him early. You want as many return air ducts as possible. You will also want dehumidifiers in the system. If you are able to select a metal roof, it is great advice to be sure you don't get the metal with the exposed screws. I've got that on my house and it's a maintenance nightmare. The other types are more expensive and are the correct product to use.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

"...Elongated pint milk carton with attached garage builder special..."

I think we have a finalist for Best Saying of 2018...just remember I said it...!

• Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you ILoveRed! we love our house :) and yes awesome advice here. We are having a lot of fun!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I spent at least a month every summer when I was a child, at my grandmother's house in NW Arkansas. No brick or stone farmhouses - all clapboard and all quite simple. It was a poor area - poor soil, poor everything. No one had money for frills.

One place stone was used was for small houses/cottages, in particular ones on Mt Sequoia in Fayetteville. They were really kind of ugly but with time, the remaining few have some charm.

Just remember that much of Arkansas has that dry, red clay soil that stains everything. Using stone as a foundation row will help keep rust splatters off your clapboard. But keep it there, not all over, and no brick unless you just want a brick house.

Michelle thanked Anglophilia
  • Kim
    6 years ago

I really like Hardie board siding in white- hung vertically.

Michelle thanked Kim
  • User
    6 years ago

The Delta has black soil - not red. :) Just FYI.

• Eyegirlie
    6 years ago

The soil in Arkansas really varies depending on the location - I grew up close to the delta (southeast) but in the "grand prairie" region where we had the red clay. I now live just south of the center of the state and have extremely sandy soil. And the further north/northwest you go, the more rocks. Here's a neat map showing the soil composition in Arkansas.

As far as farmhouses - I grew up "in town" so I'm not any help =)

• Michelle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eyegirlie this is a neat map! Thanks for sharing. We live in Yell county ;)

• chicagoans
    6 years ago

Sophie's comment about the red barn reminded me of Dutty's house. Here's a link to a thread with some of Dutty's pictures (scroll down or do a search - near the bottom of the thread) and hopefully she won't mind that I posted one here. I love the red with the white board and batten and metal roof. For most homes I think less is more - stick with one material plus the the brick at foundation level only. And a red barn look for the garage? Love.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

One combination that you might like is a brick skirt at the foundation and paint it the same color as the body of the house. This creates a continuity of look.